Need Unique Football Cake Idea (Specifically Steelers)

Decorating By dsimkovic Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 11:39am by dsimkovic

dsimkovic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsimkovic Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 12:17pm
post #1 of 9

We're having a contest at work and I'm racking my brain trying to come up with good ideas for a unique cake with a Steelers theme.

I'm in Wilton Level II, but I feel like I'm pretty good with cakes, so far, so I'm willing to stretch myself a little. I haven't tried fondant, yet, so I'm hoping to stay away from that.

With that said, I don't want to do the standard sheet cake, or cake covered with little stars. I want to wow people.

Our colors are black & gold. Black icing tastes bad, so I don't want to make a black cake, but I could do something with gold.... (hope none of my competitors are reading this...) icon_cool.gif

8 replies
jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 12:20pm
post #2 of 9

I have done a couple Steelers cakes. They are both helmets but done in different ways. Maybe you could try something like that? I did use black icing but I always make chocolate first before coloring it black so it doesn't taste so bitter. The pics are in my photos if you are interested. If you need any help feel free to ask! thumbs_up.gif

Dawne0174 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawne0174 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 9

I am making a cake for my sons football team, due Dec 1, I am putting 2 sheet cakes together and making it look like turf. Then I will be making a 3 D helmet with an 8in pan and bake and fill pan, covered in fondant. Then next to the helmet, but coming off the sides of the cake I am making cleats carved and covered in fondant. Fondant isnt to hard to use, especially if you use a touch of crisco to keep it pliable and dont roll to thin. This is my big project that Im really looking forward to doing, but its an idea. You should try to work with fondant a little bit before using it to get an idea of what it is like, (alot like play doh). Hope this helps.

Also, I just made BC Frosting added in chocolate then put black, it is very tasty.

dsimkovic Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 9

Oh, that's right. I did hear about using chocolate icing. Ok, so black is do-able...that's good. icon_smile.gif

I can't get into any pictures, though, so I can't see your helmet cakes. I was also thinking of something with turf and a helmet...with other stuff. I don't want to give too much away, just in case any competitors ARE reading this. icon_lol.gif

Keep the ideas coming, though. This is great! icon_biggrin.gif

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 9

I know you are looking for something origional, but I saw some Steelers cupcakes (each cupcake was decorated with the logo . . . . .SO cute!) and those surrounding a circle cake that is also decorated with the logo would be cool . . . . maybe just the circle cake with the logo, and the cupcakes decorated with yellow frosting with different players numbers and names on them? You know 43 - Palamalu: 7 - Roethlisburger: 86 - Ward etc . . .
I'm a HUGE Steeler fan also . . . good luck! Post pics!!! icon_smile.gif

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 9

Well, it was Packer's themed but my topsy turvy cake I made for my friend's b/day turned out pretty cool imo. Everyone loved it....and having no formal training WHATSOEVER I thought I did a pretty good job on it. You could do something like that but of course w/ the Steelers. I'm sure with your training yours would look 10x's better.....but it's an idea. Good luck! http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1091313.html

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 9:08pm
post #7 of 9

I have an ARMY cake in my photos and the colors are gold and black. The original plan was to have a football on top instead of a bow. The football was going to be RKT covered with black fondant and gold trim. Not sure if a tiered cake is what you are looking to do. In place of the 'A', you could put the Steelers logo. Good luck with the competition! thumbs_up.gif

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 12:51pm
post #8 of 9

For my son's Chargers-themed birthday, I did a variation of a cake I have seen in the gallery. It was a 1/4 sheet cake covered in fondant and sprayed green. I added yard-lines and numbers and made a grass border. On top, there was a football helmet sculpted from pound cake and a banner with the birthday boy's name. You could do a Steelers helmet and banner.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1123213

dsimkovic Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:39am
post #9 of 9

Wow! Thanks everyone! Those are great!!

I'll post my pic whenever we do our cake.

Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%