Have You Seen Sugarshack's Dvd?

Decorating By Price Updated 31 Oct 2007 , 2:19am by MommaLlama

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 8:19pm
post #31 of 59

Price, I had that happen to me when I tried to ice a square cake also. When I tried to remove the spatula after doing the corners, it would lift the icing off the cake and pull crumbs with it. This happened even after I crumb coated. Does anyone know why? Is it truly because the icing was too soft (mine was soft).????

TIA

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 9:48pm
post #32 of 59

I just watched the DVD today, but unfortunately will have to wait to practice as my cake this weekend is a pirate ship. Anyway, I wanted to know what ya all think of the taste of Sharon's icing. I bought the wedding bouquet flavoring from miss sandra and love it in my old standby icing but I was wondering if the the taste is really sweet as I put popcorn salt in my BC to cut that and Sharon's recipe does not call for salt. Also I am ANXIOUSLY awaiting Sharon's DVD on stack and tiered construction. Hint, hint!!!!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 10:29pm
post #33 of 59

Down here in in N'Awlins they like dat icing some kinda sweet! icon_biggrin.gif

But I see no reason you could not add salt or cut back on the WB to your liking. or add some butter in place of some shortening. Tweak it till U get it just right.

thank you for your purchase! Hope the DVD is helpful. thumbs_up.gif

sugarshack Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 10:30pm
post #34 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber0717

Price, I had that happen to me when I tried to ice a square cake also. When I tried to remove the spatula after doing the corners, it would lift the icing off the cake and pull crumbs with it. This happened even after I crumb coated. Does anyone know why? Is it truly because the icing was too soft (mine was soft).????

TIA

When this rarely happens to me, it is usually because the icing is too stiff...........hhmmmmmmmmmm

paddle it on real thick, less chance of pulling up crumbs that way too.

sugarshack Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 10:32pm
post #35 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price

I hope this isn't repeating. If so, sorry! I tried to post a reply before and I think it went into lala land somewhere because I don't see it. I'll try this one more time!

I just finished practicing on a small 4" round. I am happy to report that I ended up with the straightest, smoothest sides I have done to date!!! I didn't get the top quite as smooth as I would have liked, but I think that too will come with practice.

My biggest issue was that I had a problem with the icing wanting to pull back off with the spatula while I was icing the sides, causing me to get crumbs. I'm thinking probably do to the softness of my icing? (I'm used to crumb coating first and I didn't do that today.)

I'm very happy with my results. Next time I'll try 1 less Tbsp of creamer. Thanks again Sugarshack! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Price, I don't CC in the DVD cuz it just never worked for me, but if it works for you, by all means do it! thumbs_up.gif

and you have my greatest respect for icing a 4 inch cake.... thumbs_up.gif

( Sharon wants to see pic of cake, hint hint)

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 11:02pm
post #36 of 59

Ohhh yes, DVD on stack and tiered construction...sounds good to me. Working with fondant another idea, working with poured sugar thumbs_up.gif , bows & swags. Heck just any thing you teach us will work for me icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

God Bless,
Sharon

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:04am
post #37 of 59

OH, I know a DVD of your beautiful gift box cakes! I would buy that faster than you could blink!

I didn't take a picture of my little cake before my DH and I had to do a little taste test! icon_lol.gif I have another 4"er sitting on my counter. I hope to get a chance to play with the icing some more tomorrow. If I think about it I'll take a picture when it's done! Maybe I'll try thinning the icing a little, maybe I just think it's too soft and it's really too stiff!! icon_confused.gif

Anywhoooo -- what I put on that cake today smoothed beautifully! I was one happy woman. Now I just have to make sure my neice chooses buttercream over fondant for that wedding cake!

cinjam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinjam Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:36am
post #38 of 59

What a great video! I just had the chance to watch it yesterday morning & I think it's wonderful, definitely worth the money. Plus is nice to put a face with a name.

I made Sharon's icing yesterday & followed her instructions. It was truly very very smooth & wonderful to work with. I just finished a round cake with her technique & my sides are B E A U T I F U L ! Below is a link for the cake, the angle shows a bit of the side, Compared to my past cakes, this one has the best sides I've ever done.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1153589

sugarshack Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:04am
post #39 of 59

YAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

I just love hearing these success stories! thumbs_up.gif

show me pics
show me pics
show me pics

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:10am
post #40 of 59

Sharon,

Are you avoiding the "waiting anxiously" for your next how to DVD that we would gladly buy next????

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:44am
post #41 of 59

cinjam, I think your cake is wonderful and looks neat to me. Your rope is just fine. You did a great job on your BIL's cake. I bet he will be very happy with it, if not court marshall (sp ?) him icon_lol.gif

God Bless,
Sharon

cinjam Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 3:50am
post #42 of 59

Thank you for the compliment. I can't wait for my next cake (it's a square) to continue to try what Sharon showed in her video. Oh, and I forgot to mention that the video insert included where to buy the products Sharon likes to use, which was very helpful!

sugarshack Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 5:47am
post #43 of 59

Cinjam! OMG you rocked that cake!!! I amsuch a proud momma!

YOU GO GIRL!!!

Me avoiding what? huh? eh?

LOL icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

cinjam Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 8:22pm
post #44 of 59

Thanks! I'll be the first in line if you ever produce more videos - you are a great teacher.

sugarshack Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:59pm
post #45 of 59

icon_redface.gif (blush)

Thank you.

MommaLlama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaLlama Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:56pm
post #46 of 59

I vote for more videos too. I love this
DVD so much I would prob buy any video she made!!

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 11:20pm
post #47 of 59

Okay, just got done watching the DVD. And I browsed your website today also. I thought that you probably didn't work with fondant because you were so good at butercream, but I see your fondant work is JUST as wonderfull as your buttercream.

Sharon- I DESPERATLY NEED A FONDANT VIDEO on how to get edges that don't sag!!!!!!!!

Please, please, please, please!!!! Maybe you could tell us your secrete for now while we are waitig for the DVD? icon_smile.gif You know we will all still buy the DVD!!

saltystella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saltystella Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 11:33pm
post #48 of 59

At the risk of sounding stupid...here goes! I'm anxiously awaiting my DVD in the mail....I know the recipe calls for hi ratio sweetex....what the heck is that? and where do I buy it? My buttercream recipe is lots of vegetable shortening and confectioners sugar!

MAGGISMITH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAGGISMITH Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 11:38pm
post #49 of 59

I got the DVD this weekend and finally got a chance to watch it this a.m. It's wonderful!!! So glad to see that someone else (Sharon) puts as much love and attention to detail into her cakes as I do! Sometimes I think I must be a little crazy for taking as much time trying to get things perfect. Can't wait to use Sharon's methond---I know it will be great!
Maggi

sugarshack Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:25pm
post #50 of 59

duplicate...oopsy

PS... I am SO happy you guys are finding the DVD helpful! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

sugarshack Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:26pm
post #51 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltystella

At the risk of sounding stupid...here goes! I'm anxiously awaiting my DVD in the mail....I know the recipe calls for hi ratio sweetex....what the heck is that? and where do I buy it? My buttercream recipe is lots of vegetable shortening and confectioners sugar!

It is a bakery grade shortening with more emulsifiers. Makes a better icing, IMO but you can use any shortening you like as well.

I do not have the links with me right now, but the DVD has a supplier list included where to buy it online. Thank you for your purchase!

HTH! thumbs_up.gif

Kavingate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavingate Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:31pm
post #52 of 59

Dear Sharon,

MORE MORE MORE!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!! STACKED STACKED STACKED!!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

I just got and watched the DVD yesterday, and I'm going to be busy practicing this week!!!!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!

MimiFord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFord Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:49pm
post #53 of 59

I received mine yesterday, and quickly popped it into the laptop to watch.

Finally, everything makes sense!!!

I'm such a visual learner, and Sharon you did such a great job - you should definitely do more informational/instructional DVD's. I hope you will consider it. Everything I learn is from DVD or books, because I live in such a rural area that even the Wilton class is a 2 hour round trip drive.

Thanks so much, Sharon.

sugarshack Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:47pm
post #54 of 59

THANK YOU all for such positive feedback! You guys are just great! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

There are more DVDs in the planning stages.... so keep an eye out... icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:49pm
post #55 of 59

I received mine over the weekend when I was out of town, then yesterday I started watching it but had to teach last night so I'm looking forward to the seeing the rest of it. Excellent job Sugarshack!!! Thanks for this wonderful service! icon_biggrin.gif

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:03pm
post #56 of 59

I received the DVD yesterday. Watched it last night very helpful, my DVD had a few problems. I am going to check the bad to make sure it is not scratch it kept getting stuck on a couple of scenes and over lapping. Lots of helpful stuff their.

It is worth the money.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:31pm
post #57 of 59

Is it melted chocolate?

Is the crazy lady making her own cream? icon_eek.gif

NO!!

It is my perfectly airless, smooth icing!

THANK YOU SHARON!!!!!!

and I love that kitchen, cabinets are lovely!
LL
LL

sugarshack Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 5:41pm
post #58 of 59

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif HOLY GUACAMOLE!!

That looks better then mine, LOL!

CONGRATS!

Way to go!

WOOT WOOT!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

MommaLlama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaLlama Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 2:19am
post #59 of 59

I'm puting my vote in for Fondant to be the next
dvd. Sharon's fondant is as good as her buttercream. She's really multi-talented, her cookies look wonderful too, everything she does is perfect!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%