Calling All The Design/colour Gurus Out There..

Decorating By katharry Updated 21 Dec 2006 , 10:52am by denise4

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 7:05am
post #1 of 29

I am pretty hopeless with design and colours.. I want to make a co-worker a suitcase cake (I only just decided this 10mins ago and the cake is now cooking in the oven) so as you can see I am skipping my usually obsession/research/study phase icon_lol.gif .

It will be a vanilla cake, covered in fondant, the thing is I dont want to do brown leather. Would a pink suitcase look silly? Can you give me some good colour combinations should the straps be a contrasting colour? I will be painting the metal part gold.

Any help or ideas would be gratefully received.

Im off to model her as I will have her sitting on the edge if the suitcase. She is off to Thailand on holiday after a really stressful year, so just thought it would be nice to see her off in style.

Kathryn

28 replies
sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 7:20am
post #2 of 29

Hi Kathryn

i found this wedding cake by lindy smith, it is gorgeous and has lots of details... i would look really pretty in pale pink and gold...

http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/GoldenSuitcases.jpg

kylie

missyv110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyv110 Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 7:33am
post #3 of 29

mmm, nice idea, Kathryn!

Pink & brown always appeals to me as well, sort of girly & elegant at the same time, here's an example:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=search&search=pink%20and%20brown&cat=0&pos=1&search=pink%20and%20brown

Maureen

katharry Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 11:46am
post #4 of 29

Here she is.. I will have her sitting on the edge of the suitcase.

Kylie I saw that one too and fell in love with it although probably a bit beyond what i could do.

Missyv110 I love pink and brown too.

Anyone have any tips for making the suitcase cake? I have baked two large rectangle cakes....

Well it is now 1am here so I'd better get to bed, I've work tomorrow and then home to make this cake.

Any help anyone can give would be wonderful!

Kathryn
LL

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 29

I have a suitcase uploaded to my photos that might help.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 29

Oh my, please check out DianeLM's cake!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&&file=displayimage&&pos=91117

It's fantastic!

katharry Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 6:32pm
post #7 of 29

Thanks Diane, that suitcase (along with all your other cakes) is perfect!!!!!

I've also had an extremely detailed email from srmaxwell on how she did her suitcase. (check out her work, it's fab!)

So once again THANK YOU - you awesome CC'ers thumbs_up.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Dec 2006 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 29

Sorry I can't offer any assistance..

But I just can't wait to see the cake icon_smile.gif

katharry Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 11:29am
post #9 of 29

Well its 12:30am and I have just finished the suitcase cake.

A huge thank you to DianeLM & srmaxwell for their advice. It was actually a lot easier than I thought. Fiddly doing the straps etc but all in all not too bad.

I was going to do a whole lot of things that represent her around the figure but when I got it together I thought it was enough with the straps etc. The message at the back reads "happy Travels" sorry for the bad pics I'll take some better ones when I wake up tomorrow.

I am shattered, I cant keep doing these late nights. Thanks again for everyones help

Cheers
Kathryn
LL
LL

Eliza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eliza Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 11:39am
post #10 of 29

icon_eek.gif WOW and WOW!!!

This is fantastic!! Congrats on a job well done!!

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 11:40am
post #11 of 29

WOW....what a lovely cake....and on such short notice.

Congrats, it's really beautiful.

missyv110 Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 11:49am
post #12 of 29

Wow, Kath, the suitcase looks amazing (I already loved the little figure)..she's going to flip when she sees this; it's so cool. DianeLM and srmaxwell are sooo sweet to help out; just like cc-ers!!!!!

I had JUST seen DianeLM's suitcase-cake uploaded, and was drooling over how gorgeous it was, and here you are with one all finished!!

looks great, don't you love cc???

Maureen

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 12:06pm
post #13 of 29

OMG...kathryn

this is fantastic, i thought the gold was real, thats how amazing it looks..

you are one clever lady...

now go get some well deserved sleep...

kylie

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 12:26pm
post #14 of 29

WOW! Once again I'm stuck by talent and skill, fantastic! I'm sure your friend will be delighted.

DianeLM Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 2:14pm
post #15 of 29

WOW Kathryn!! You did an amazing job on this! I can't believe how quickly you made all the details! And I am just in love with that precious figure! She is adorable! I'm so glad I could contribute in some small way to this masterpiece!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 2:28pm
post #16 of 29

Oh man this is lovely!!!!!!!!!

missyv110 Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 2:34pm
post #17 of 29

Diane - didn't Kathryn do a great job? Your suitcase cake is so inspirational; actually, I spent a long time admiring your gallery;your work is really lovely.

4dollars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4dollars Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 3:16pm
post #18 of 29

WOW! that is such a cute cake! I have a question, where do you learn to model the little people? I would love to try it, but am afraid they wont turn out very nice. What is she made from, gumpaste? or fondant? I wish I could put a cake together that looked that nice. Good job!

DianeLM Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 4:42pm
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyv110

Diane - didn't Kathryn do a great job? Your suitcase cake is so inspirational; actually, I spent a long time admiring your gallery;your work is really lovely.

Thank you, Missy! I think Kathryn would have done just fine without my help. She is an extremely talented decorator!

katharry Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 7:20pm
post #20 of 29

Thanks so much for the nice comments ladies Ive just dragged myself out bed. Its a nice way to wake up and try and motivate myself to go to work!!!

4Dollars, I started making figures a few months ago after being inspired by the awesome work of Aine2. She put together a website tutorial on how to make the face. Here is the link (although it doesnt seem to be connecting at the moment but keep trying) http://www.lorraine-icingonthecake.co.uk/masterclass/face-howto.htm

Have a look at Aine2s work. She is the master of modelling.

Have a go I practiced a lot before I got something that resembled a human!!! My first attempts all ended up in the bin so dont be put off by your first attempts. As for the bodies and clothing, its trial and error for me, although Debbie Brown & Maisie Parrish are good books to invest in if you want to buy something.

I spend hours looking at Aine2s pictures (almost stalker level!!!!) trying to work out how she does it. Hopefully she will get her tutorial website up and running I will be the first in line to sign up, she has a natural talent for teaching!

Regards
Kathryn

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 7:56pm
post #21 of 29

WOW, AWESOME job! That is such a greta cake!

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 9:24pm
post #22 of 29

That is really impressive cakework. icon_smile.gif

missyv110 Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 9:27pm
post #23 of 29

Please remember to tell us about the reaction of the recipient! Thanks....

4dollars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4dollars Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 11:51pm
post #24 of 29

Thanks for the link. That's a really interesting site. I'm going to have to make some fondant up and practice. Hope you don't mind me looking at your pics, they are great! and I promise, not stalking ! icon_lol.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 21 Dec 2006 , 12:23am
post #25 of 29

Perfectly done and adorable. Love the colors and am sure the person receiving this cake will feel the same.

beesting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beesting Posted 21 Dec 2006 , 12:51am
post #26 of 29

that is a beautiful cake, i would love to see a tutorial on how to do a cake like this please someone give us a turotial ( pretty please)

katharry Posted 21 Dec 2006 , 1:53am
post #27 of 29

Thanks beesting I wouldnt even know where to begin with a tutorial as I make it up as I go along. But this is what I did.

Bake two rectangle cakes, cover in BC and then cover in fondant.

I used my sugar gun and glued the trim onto the bottom and top. Then use a ruler to mark a line around the suitcase, then just above and below it run a little stictching wheel around the line.

I used gumpaste for the straps. Cut into shape and again use the stitching wheel to mark the stiches. I placed it on the cake and marked where I wanted the eyelets to go. I then used tip12 to cut out holes. I then used slightly bigger cutter and cut out another circle which I placed over the holes on the straps (is this making any sense as I am confusing myself! icon_lol.gif ), these were then painted with gold lustre dust (mixed with alcohol).

I made rings out of gumpaste and let them dry for a little while then slipped them through the strap and glued into place. I then made little sausage shapes and fitted them into the eyelet to complete the buckle.

The handle I just moulded out of gumpaste, with a little dot on each end painted gold to look like a stud. I made little hinges for the back which were just squares of gumpaste with four small gumpaste dots which I cut with a knife to look like screws.

Most of this cake is illusion. So it really isnt a huge amount of work. I would definitely make this cake again.

Missyv110. Her reaction was so cool! She was beside herself, she later told me that she has NEVER been given a cake. Can you believe there is someone out there who has never been given a cake!!?? They called just about everybody from every floor to come and have a look. By then I was actually quite embarrassed.. like dont get me wrong I love feedback, but I just dont particularly like being there when it is happening!

Only a few people I work with know I make cakes. So now about 550 do. I can just imagine the I was wondering if you could make. Which is a bit of a worry as I have never charged for my cakes, and dont particularly want to get into it like that. Id have a heart attack from the stress!

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 21 Dec 2006 , 7:44am
post #28 of 29

Your cake is just beautiful. Congratulations! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

denise4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise4 Posted 21 Dec 2006 , 10:52am
post #29 of 29

ANOTHER STUNNING CAKE KATHRYN !!!!! I JUST LOVE YOUR CAKES icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Denise

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%