Coloring Fondant

Decorating By cariage Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 10:15am by DecorateMe

cariage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cariage Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 16

this may sound like a stupid question, but here goes... I am about to buy my first container of satin ice and I was wondering if I could color the white. I noticed that they sell different colors and didn't know if that was just a convenience thing or if it will mess up the white if you try to color it.
TIA

15 replies
mrstoponak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrstoponak Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 16

I would assume you could color it. You can color other fondant, so why not that one.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 16

Hi Cariage,

Yes, you can color it. I have used the Wilton Gel's and the Americolor on it and it works great. The awsomme Doug from CC gave me this tip to help color it:
do it like pulling taffy.

1) flatten ball.

2) add drops of color

3) fold ball so color in center.

4) roll out into long rope

5) fold rope over on itself in thirds (or if more talented than I, on itself in half TWICE -- so that would be fourths?)

6) twist

Repeat steps 4-6 over and over until color is smooth.

much easier than kneading.

and can add little drops of color to make darker at step 5
It works and it is sooo easy.

Wearing plastic disposable gloves helps to not get the color all over your hands too.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 16

lChristi has given you excellent advice IMO. I love coloring and working with fondant! Lots of enjoyment there! icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 16

Thanks Christi for that great tutorial!!! icon_biggrin.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:48pm
post #6 of 16

I recommend purchasing the colored fondant from Satin Ice. I use Satin Ice a lot and I do color it but it tends to get very sticky and hard to work with when you add lots of color so I try to avoid this as much as possible. If you do have to color it using gloves helps a lot not only from staining your hands but also working with the stickiness of it.

Jacqui

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:56pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Anytime, but have to thank the one and only Doug from CC! I keep this handy when I'm coloring my fondant (along with all my other tips from the great cc'rs here!)

I put some of this stuff in word documents, print it out and put them in clear page protectors and put in a three ring binder.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchristi27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Anytime, but have to thank the one and only Doug from CC! I keep this handy when I'm coloring my fondant (along with all my other tips from the great cc'rs here!)

I put some of this stuff in word documents, print it out and put them in clear page protectors and put in a three ring binder.

You're right, Doug is awesome! He did a fabulous sketch for me for my client of which became my "towering inferno" cake in my pix! Thanks Doug!!! You rock!! icon_biggrin.gif

cariage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cariage Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 5:37pm
post #9 of 16

thanks everyone for the advice. I can't wait to try it out.

AnotherBrit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherBrit Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 5:51pm
post #10 of 16

I use white Satin Ice and color it regularly. If you want to color small amounts it works well otherwise it does get a bit sticky. I normally dip a toothpick into the color paste and then rub the toothpick on any part of the white fondant. Then kneed until all the color is mixed thoroughly in the fondant to be colored. If you have bits left over, put them in sealable plastic bags and these can be used another time.

chebean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chebean Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 3:52pm
post #11 of 16

so i am going to cover an tiered cake 6" round on an 8" round with fondant. coloring fondant is very tedious--i need an electric green color, can i use my KA and its dough knead attachment to mix the color in the fondant?

please help....i will be making this cake this week!! icon_surprised.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 4:12pm
post #12 of 16

I've never used my KA to color fondant. I just do it by hand (with gloves) using a twisting and kneading method.
Jacqui

chebean Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 4:21pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

I've never used my KA to color fondant. I just do it by hand (with gloves) using a twisting and kneading method.
Jacqui

okay...but that doesn't help me answer my question....

anyone?

DecorateMe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecorateMe Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 4:51pm
post #14 of 16

I've coloured fondant in a KA. It depends on volume though. If you're only colouring a little fondant it's a pain, when I make a batch of fondant I colour it at the same time (if it's all going to be one colour).
I still need to knead it afterwarss, but not much.

HTH!

chebean Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 4:48am
post #15 of 16

DECORATE ME,

i was told you can burn out your KA motor if you try to color your fondant using your mixer.....*sigh*....

how much fondant did you put in your mixer to color? i'm curious....i guess i will try Doug's method in the mean time.

thanks! hope to hear from you soon!

DecorateMe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecorateMe Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 10:15am
post #16 of 16

I have a stronger mixer I guess. I hope I'm not going to burn it out! Mine is a 1000W motor, Delonghi/Kenwood.

I make up to 2kg of fondant at a time, although usually 1kg, and I colour it while making it.

Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%