How To Store Royal Icing?

Decorating By ANicole Updated 13 Oct 2007 , 1:41pm by Rincewind

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:29pm
post #1 of 9

I put it in a ziplock and it's been sitting out. Now I see online that it says to put in the fridge. Do I have to throw it away? I made a ton of it, and I don't want to waste it. It's been out for 2 days...

8 replies
cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:33pm
post #2 of 9

I don't know because I haven't worked with it that much. I always make mine fresh every time I use it.

I'd like to know how long you can keep it too.

gakali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gakali Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:33pm
post #3 of 9

It will be fine for MUCH longer than 2 days at room temp.! If you want to store it for a longer time, it freezes great. Thaw in fridge or at room temp. when you are getting ready to use it.

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 9

Yay! After throwing out a batch of brownies and blondies (I posted in another thread, but I think my oven temp is off), the last thing I wanted to do was throw out the royal icing too!

I'm going to just throw the ziplocks in the freezer then.

Thank you!!

gakali Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 9

You're welcome! I tried putting my RI from a Wilton class in the freezer (in zip-locs), as an experiment. I had researched on this site and some people said you could freeze it, some people said you couldn't....Mine comes out of the freezer perfectly, I always freeze it now. icon_smile.gif

elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:53pm
post #6 of 9

i didn't know you could freeze it! i am so stoked! i always have thrown it out since i always have some left over. what a time saver this will be. thanks!!

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:07pm
post #7 of 9

icon_redface.gif okay don't yell at me anyone, I don't use Royal that much, but right now, with cookie season upon so many of us, I will be using it more. I have a question may sound silly.... If I put my leftover royal in the freezer, then remove it, let it thaw and come to room temp. should I use my mixer to re mix it up or just use from ziploc after kneading in it??? icon_redface.gif Sorry if it sounds stupid. Thanks.

gakali Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:26pm
post #8 of 9

I always squeeze it out of the zip-loc into a container, and just stir it with a spoon. If it was a really large amount I'm sure using the mixer would be fine.

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:41pm
post #9 of 9

Wow! I didn't know you could freeze it! I've been keeping it in glass jars in my pantry. I'm going to have to try freezing it. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%