Not To Tip

Business By sweetcakes Updated 14 Oct 2007 , 4:06am by ANicole

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 9

I was given a large box of bridal magazines that i am slowly going through for the cake pictures. ive read a few articles here and there (boy im not looking forward to my kids getting married) and i have read it over and over, do not tip the photographer, florist or baker! but tip everyone else, minister, bartender, servers, etc. Why is this?

8 replies
ccaluda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccaluda Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 9

I think the reason is that you are not supposed to tip the owner of an establishment/business, just the employees. So if Duff delivers your cake you shouldnt tip him, but the Geoff brings it, slip him a few bills.

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 9

I like when people tip, however my mom say that she would not tip, because Im doing my job; however she say she will tip if that person goes beyond her way to accomdated her(sp) her especially if its short notice or if she shows up at her appt, really late. looking forward to reading other people answer

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:08am
post #4 of 9

Boy I don't know about not tipping the bakericon_sad.gif
A tip is a 'thank you for *extra special* service'.
If your cake is over the top what you expected then why not tip??

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:30am
post #5 of 9

TIP - "To Insure Prompt" Service

I guess I'm old school about tipping - I definately tip servers, delivery drivers and others making below min wage - and I tip well, being an ex server.

I do not tip people I've paid to do a job for me- I've already paid for that service, now if they were to go above and beyond what I expected or necessary then yes, I would tip. I don't like the "tip" jars at restaurants and coffee houses - to me that seems like begging, why would I tip someone to do their job?

As a server I went above and beyond just bringing food to a table - I made sure their food was great and they had everything they needed for a great dining experience. Anyone can take an order, it takes something a little extra to make a good server: know the product, know your customer and know what's going on at all times and communication. If I could do this with my customers then I expect the same thing when I go out.

Ok, that's my rant of the day!
Barb

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:34am
post #6 of 9

Servers and bartenders get a lower hourly wage and depend on tips to make up the difference. Although I'm not sure if they pay them a lower wage when working for a caterer or in a banquet hall.

The baker sets the price for the cake and it is agreed to upfront. The price they charged should ensure that they are well compensated for their services. If someone should feel inclined to give the baker a tip - great. But as a rule - I wouldn't think it should be expected.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:36am
post #7 of 9

I do not tip based on what a person makes per hour. I tip based on the service I received.

Any tips that we receive are split among my staff. I take NONE of it.

I don't think there should be a list of who you "should" tip. A tip is a "monetary thanks for service performed ABOVE AND BEYOND what was paid for". I find it arrogant to charge this up front.

We do not expect tips. We do not charge them up front like most caterers. Any tips we get are considered just some extra recognition of the great job my crew did for the bride/client.

(And just for the record, my crews get paid double+ minimum wage. What they do is very hard work and I like to think that, tip or not, they are properly compensated for the hard work they do for me!)

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:02am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

(And just for the record, my crews get paid double+ minimum wage. What they do is very hard work and I like to think that, tip or not, they are properly compensated for the hard work they do for me!)

Wish I had worked for you when I used to wait tables. I worked for a caterer one night too... because we were broke and we needed the money. It was an outdoor reception at the bride's parents house... poured rain for hours before the event... cleared up just in time for the wedding... but there was mud everywhere. My black pants were brown by the end of the night... it was just awful. I don't remember how much I made that night as it was about 14 years ago and my mind just ain't what it used to be... but I remember it was no where near enough for all the work and hassle of the night!

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 4:06am
post #9 of 9

I tipped the baker who did my anniversary cake. She was happy - it was just a compliment that she did a good job and I felt good about tipping her. That's what it's supposed to be - just a little extra thank you. Not a requirement.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%