Is Fondant Suppose To Be Tasteless?

Decorating By jennem Updated 13 Oct 2007 , 10:22pm by MacsMom

jennem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennem Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 14

I used Wiltons fondant in a box on my cake and it tastes horrible. I incorporated some vanilla in it and it still tasted horrible. I only used it as decoration on my cake and did'nt cover the whole cake with it like some people do. Please give me some suggestions on how to make it taste better or if it is just suppose to be for decoration and you are'nt really suppose to eat it.

13 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 14

Welcome to Cake Central. Wilton fondant is easy to use, but most people think it tastes awful. There are other brands that taste much better (satin Ice, Pettinice, Chocopan) and home made is also much better.

If you absolutely have to use Wilton, remove it from the cake before serving it.

There are recipes in the recipe section for fondant. Try one of those.

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 14

I make marshmallow fondant and I add wiltons clear butter flavoring to it. I love the taste. Nice and sweet

mrsbink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbink Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 14

I don't know of any way to make Wilston's taste better, I think that might be hopeless. A lot of people on here use homemade marshmallow fondant, which I have seen some rave reviews for. You can use Wilton's for a whole cake, but it's going to be gross. (IMO) I can't wait to try MMF, but at the monet I'm in a Wilton class and my instructor wants us to use that fondant, but as soon as I'm done with it I wont use it anymore.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 14

I use MMF and buy Satin Ice for their dark chocolate...

BUT, you might try using LoRann concentrated flavors (perhaps amaretto or butter rum) if Wilton is just the easiest thing for you to do. It doesn't take much with Lorann. I prefer www.IntoTheOven.com to buy LoRann.

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 14

Good fondant tastes good. Wilton fondant is horrible and no matter what you add to it, it will still taste horrible.

Try Satin Ice, Fondx, or MMF. It will taste much better. I went to a seminar where the instructor added citric acid and tangerine oil to her MMF and it tasted just like a Starburst candy!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 14

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-521083.html

The above link is a wonderful, wonderful E-Z AS PIE way to do your own MMF. It's tasty, delicious and works like a charm. You'll never be sorry again! icon_biggrin.gif

Wilton is just gross and I've seen people peel it right off because of its disgusting taste. (I have to plug my nose. tapedshut.gif )

With this very easy tutorial link, you'll never look back!

HTH thumbs_up.gif

GI Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 9:00pm
post #8 of 14

[quote="mconrey] I went to a seminar where the instructor added citric acid and tangerine oil to her MMF and it tasted just like a Starburst candy![/quote]

That sounds absolutely yummy! Do you know what kind of cake she used to put the MMF on?

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 9:07pm
post #9 of 14

I make marshmellow fondant and while I was at the cake supply store w/ my daughter she suggested to put candy flavoring in it. She chose bubblegum flavor and cherry for a batch that I just made for a cake and I am not kidding...it tasted just like bubble gum and the other like cherry candy! icon_smile.gif Sometimes kids know best!! icon_smile.gif

jennem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennem Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 9:26pm
post #10 of 14

I love this website!!! thank you so much for all the responses!

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 9:48pm
post #11 of 14

Wilton fondant is great for practicing and dummy cakes...and that's about it! I thought I was going to toss my cookies the first time I tried eating it! icon_confused.gif

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:33am
post #12 of 14

GI - the seminar was only on how to make MMF, so the instructor didn't cover a particular cake with it. But I think any sort of white cake with a lemon type filling would be really good with it!

GI Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 4:21am
post #13 of 14

Thanks mconrey. I was at Walmart tonight & saw Lorann had their seasonal oils out so I snatched some up. I'm going to try to make the starburst flavor...perhaps I'll just come up with the CAKE name now "Starburst"! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I think that will be my next project. Right now, I tried Melysa's recommendation for carrot cake. I can't seem to get a good one... 2 of the 4" pans fell flat in the middle. Oops ! icon_surprised.gif Don't mean to get OT! icon_smile.gif

EDITED TO ADD: This is indeed a fabulous site! Where else can we find some much passion about cakes, frostings, cookies, cake balls, decorating, more, more more!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 10:22pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

Thanks mconrey. I was at Walmart tonight & saw Lorann had their seasonal oils out so I snatched some up.

I'm sooo jealous of all of you with Super Wal-Marts! I can't remember the reason, but all of the Super's in my town had to close down and go back to regular old Wally World's... No LoRann oils icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%