Help From Minneapolis Area Decorator(S)? (Long)

Decorating By peeps311 Updated 13 Oct 2007 , 12:12pm by peeps311

peeps311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peeps311 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 11

Four years ago, my brother and his family were living at the Ronald McDonald house in Minneapolis. They were there because my nephew Max, was undergoing a stem cell transplant for a rare disease called Hurler Syndrome. I spent a few weeks there as well, helping with the care of my niece so they could spend time at the University of Minnesota Hospital (formerly Fairview). Though the transplant was initially successful, he later died of complications. He was 16 months old. I cannot describe the community of Ronald McDonald House. It was the place my family needed while undergoing this difficult time. Since his passing, RMH has been a charity that my husband and I have contributed to. Usually we send money, but this year, I would like to pay a local decorator to make a really cool cake, cookies or cupcakes in his honor. I will commission you to do it. You can pm me for more information. The only requests that I have is that it be in rememberence of "Mighty Max." And, I would need it delivered on Nov. 21, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving (anniversary of his death).
Not only would your goodies cheer up the other families who are there, I am sure that you will feel great about doing it too. So, thanks for listening. If you'd like to read about my nephew's short life or about the disease http://mighty-max.blogspot.com/ I hope to hear from some of you. If nothing else, please consider donating your time or your yummy goodies to a local Ronald McDonald House. They are always looking for volunteers. I only wish that I lived near one.
Thank you,
Lisa

10 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 11

I'm not in that area, but wanted to tell you how sorry I am for your loss. I just looked thru both of Max's sites, and couldn't stop crying! I can't imagine how hard it was for the family. I'm sure you'll find a wonderful person here who will make you a fabulous cake!

peeps311 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 11

Thank you for your response and for your thoughts of my family. I am hopeful that there is someone out there????

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 11

I just want to say my thoughts are with you. My cousing has a very rare muscle desease and she and her family have spent many a nights in the Ronald McDonald house also.

I can not help with a cake, but if you do not find anyone in the area please send me a PM and I would be more than happy to discuss shipping decorated cookies for the day. I have shipped cookie boquets and single cookies very succesfully to other states.

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 11:24pm
post #5 of 11

My thoughts and prayers are with you too. I read several posts from their website ... very touching. I live in WI ... a little too far from Minneapolis. But I have thought about this all day since I saw the link. Please keep us updated as to your plans.

peeps311 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:11am
post #6 of 11

Thanks again for your thoughts. leilly, I may consider the cookie idea and am thankful for that suggestion. My heart is warmer knowing that some of you took your precious time to think of my nephew and family. Thanks again.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:00am
post #7 of 11

Moydear77 is in Minneapolis. Maybe you could pm her. I'm sure that if she isn't able to do it, she could probably recommend someone else who may be able to help. I've thought about this all evening...I hope you can find someone!

delta95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delta95 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:23am
post #8 of 11

I'm in Mpls...but I am not a professional. Just a gal who loves to do cakes for family.
FlowergirlMN lives just outside the cities. You can PM her as well, I'm sure.
Good luck, what a wonderful tribute to your nephew.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:57am
post #9 of 11

Lisa, I am in Texas so much to far away to help with the cake but close enough to have fallen in love with Mighty Max! What an adorable baby he was! Thanks so much for shedding light on the disease and the RMH.

So sorry I am not closer and can make the cake for you!

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 5:17am
post #10 of 11

I would love to do it... The only problem is that I'm completely kicked out of the kitchen by then so it's all but impossible for me to do it then... I know once I get my own space instead of using my IL's kitchens it'll be different but I don't see hubby getting a fire under his behind to have a kitchen by next month..

OTOH, if you'd be willing to change the date I'm still there the first week in November because of the Twin Cities Chocolate Extravaganza (Fundraiser for the Make A Wish Foundation)...

I'll actually be seeing FlowerGirlMN on Sunday at the ICES meeting so I can mention this post to her when I see her otherwise I can recommend a few bakers to you.

GL!!!

peeps311 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 12:12pm
post #11 of 11

First of all, I want to say that I am so touched by your responses. It is interesting to note that even though my nephew did not have what some may say was a "long" life, and even though it has been almost 4 years since he passed, he still impacts my life and others so much. Thank you for your support!
When I mentioned this idea to my brother and sister-in-law, they appreciated the idea. My sister-in-law thought it was so amazing to know that people are thinking of them still. So, thank you so much.
delta95 and CoutureCake, I will try to pm you guys later--got my little girls screaming right now! icon_smile.gif
Teekakes, gosh, your note about falling in love with Max melted my heart. Everyone who met him, fell in love with him!
jen, pidge and leilly, thank you so much too for your support and ideas.
I will continue to keep you posted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%