Making My Own Cake Board Question

Decorating By arleban Updated 13 Oct 2007 , 8:55am by rsdd108

arleban Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arleban Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 14

Sorry, I wasn't sure if this should go in How Do I? or the Ideas forum.

My question is regarding the "cake circles" that the Wilton classes have you cover in the wrap to serve cakes. I'm standing there in the store and I can't wrap my head around paying $5.00 for 10 cardboard circles. Does anyone have a suggestion/good idea on getting decent cardboard that I can just cut into circles on my own? I have thought about trying to nab some boxes from a grocery or something, but those boxes aren't the cleanest (even though they would be wrapped).

What do all of you do? If you don't use them, what do you usually use?

13 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 14

You can use foam core-available in most craft stores, they those can be cut and covered.

You can also use masonite or other wood-like materials, cover it and then you can keep re-using it.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 14

Ever since I discovered foamboard, I haven't looked back. I'm talking about the ones you would normally use for science fairs. They are very sturdy for 90% of the things I do. If I need something strudier, I've taped two together and wrapped them. Oh, and to get a good enough circle I just saved a wilton cardboard in 8", 10", 12" and 16"

Also, for some of the longer cakes, I've used this hard plastic board my Dad had left over. I've also used wooden panels.

arleban Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks for the responses!

Foamboard? Is that like styrofoam? I picked up a piece today that I was going to cut and shape to make a dummy cake to practice with icing and decorating. Is that what you mean or did I miss something that is actually called foamboard?

mommy2owen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2owen Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 14

I'm not sure I know what you mean by foamboard. Where would I find it? Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 14

Foamboard is the display board commonly found in the school supply section or art supplies, depending on the school you go to.

That's the best way I can describe it.

girltrapped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girltrapped Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2owen

I'm not sure I know what you mean by foamboard. Where would I find it? Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

It's like a regular poster board sheet...only thicker and filled with foam.

onegr8girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onegr8girl Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 14

Also, Michael's has a tool called the Creative Versa-Tool. It's basically a hot knife that is great for cutting foam board. It's $29.99, but I bought mine with the 40% off coupon.

mommy2owen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2owen Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 14

The board and the cutter both sound like great ideas. I'll have to check it out. How much does the foam board cost?

girltrapped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girltrapped Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:56pm
post #10 of 14

I was just wondering about cost effectiveness so I have some questions for those that have actually used it:

1. How much does foamboard cost on average?

2. How many circles do you get from one sheet? (I know this will vary depending on which size circle you are cutting.)

3. Is it easy to get a clean cut from foamboard?

I always use the 40% off coupon at Michaels when I buy so I actually get 10 for $3.00.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:14pm
post #11 of 14

Can this foam board be covered with ribbon wrapped around the edges to coordinate the theme and used as a cake base...like people use cake drums for? Is it sturdy enough to use that way too?...We don't have cake drums in my area, as much as I would LOVE to use them I don't have access.

How aboat the Styrofoam circles, do any of yall use them to cover and use as a cake base, how sturdy are they?

arleban Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 6:32pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

Foamboard is the display board commonly found in the school supply section or art supplies, depending on the school you go to.

That's the best way I can describe it.

That's a great way to describe it. I was picturing it and now you have put a name to it. icon_smile.gif I didn't even look over in the kid/school stuff. icon_cry.gif

Thank you!

Michelle4297 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle4297 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 8:37am
post #13 of 14

I use cardboard for my familys cakes sometimes. Just plain nothing fancy and it is free. The milk boxes at the grocery store are good for this they are thick. If I need it thicker I just tape them together.HTH
Michelle

rsdd108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsdd108 Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 8:55am
post #14 of 14

We're visiting Australia at the moment, and they have the greatest cake boards - all made of a sort of light wood. It's great because they can be used over and over again. I'm buying a few to take back to the States.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%