Need Help With A Fondant Crown

Decorating By texaskathy Updated 12 Oct 2007 , 4:33am by BakingGirl

texaskathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texaskathy Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:11am
post #1 of 3

I am making a last minute cake for a friend. Her son is turning one, and she wants a prince themed cake with a small fondant crown on the top. I have tried and tried and cant get it to work. I am using regular wilton fondant. I typically use MMF, but thought that might be better? Well, I have tried various thicknesses, 4 to be exact and I cant get it to hold. Any ideas? I am trying to make a simple, 5 or so inch round crown.

Also, when do you use luster dust? When its dry or does it matter?? I think that might be a fun addition.

And do you think it will be dry in time for a saturday cake delivery?

THANKS!!!

2 replies
twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:25am
post #2 of 3

I think it should be dry in time....I do everything last minute !even bow loops! icon_lol.gif ...what do you mean isnt sticking? are you dabbing the connecting pieces with something like water, extract or vodka?,,,,i dont think it matters when you use the dust...I could be wrong....but like I said I do everythign last minute so I use it right after I make it! thumbs_up.gif goo dluck and cant wait to see the final

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:33am
post #3 of 3

Are you drying your crown around something? You may need to keep the fondant wrapped around a can or something like that for a day until the fondant has dried enough to hold it's shape. Mixing gumpaste into the fondant would also help getting it to dry faster and harder.

Hard to say how quick it would dry, it really depend how dry your indoor air is. To speed up drying you can keep the crown in the oven with just the oven light on. Just please remember to take it out if you turn the oven on. I have torched many a thing in my oven by mistake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%