Raspberry Filling

Baking By yummy Updated 14 May 2007 , 5:09pm by JanH

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 19

When filling a cake with it, does the cake need to be refrigerated?

18 replies
Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 19

If it's just raspberry goo that comes in either a can or sleeve...I don't refrigerate it. Mixed with cream or cream cheese or meringue....I refrigerate.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 19

here's a good one that can be refrigerated or left out at room temp for 2 days- it is also thick, so it will NOT ooze out or make your cake soggy.

1 12oz bag of frozen raspberries, thawed.
1/4 c granulated white sugar
3 TB cornstarch mixed withe equals parts COLD water to disolve.
2-3 TB rasberry chambord (french liquor- preservative).

thaw berries. puree them in blender. press though a sieve to remove seeds. place berry puree in a pot on the stove over medium/low heat. add sugar and disolved cornstarch. bring to a simmer, stirring constantly so you will not have lumps. once it thickens nicely, remove from heat. allow to cool. add chambord. chill for a few hours, then fill your cake.

this will not change to flavor as it is made from raspberries, herbs and honey. it is used by pastry chefs to preserve fillings for a couple of days at room temperature. i have tried it, left it out and eaten it myself just to test it and i was fine. it is also very very yummy- and is such a small amount that you will not have to worry that anyone will take affect from the alcohol content. i bought a small pint sized bottle at a liquor store for $10....expensive but it will last a long time and can be used in any fruits that go well with the flavor as well as ganache....etc.

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 7:34am
post #4 of 19

That filling recipe sound delicious - will have to try that one!

Thanks icon_smile.gif

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 19

Yummy! I too will have to try that recipe!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 19
Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 11:49pm
post #7 of 19

Melysa,

That raspberry filling recipe with the chambord sounds SOOOOOOOO good! I can't wait to try it! In the past I have only used the "sleeved" fillings made by Henry & Henry, I believe. They are ok, but yours sounds heavenly!! I'm sorry if I missed it, but do you know how large of a cake you can fill with that recipe?

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

Michele

melysa Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 2:28am
post #8 of 19

thanks michelle. that will make about 1 and 1/2 cups filling. i can torte and fill 3 layers of an 8-10" round (depending on thickness 1/4"-1/3" each) .

i recently tried it will a juice puree smoothie to see if it would work- it was SO good, and so easy since i was able to skip the first few steps. i think it was ?benthouse? farms brand smoothie. about $3 for a quart- a five berry mix, nice and thick and full of vitamins, so it was a "healthy" one. enjoyed eating that cake ! LOL!!!!

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 12:04pm
post #9 of 19

Yippeee, Melysa!!!!! You have found a way to make cake a "health food"!!! Does away with some of the guilt while I'm taste testing!!! I always say it's the "quality control" part of being a cake decorator that's killing me! LOL!!! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Michele

melysa Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 7:43pm
post #10 of 19

lol- i agree!

the brand is BOLTHOUSE FARMS...they make all kinds of fruit smoothies - berry, mango, passionfruit, blueberry, strawberry banana- and what we call "green juice" - we drink it- but i DONT think i'd use THAT one for cake!!! thats just wrong. icon_smile.gif

HBurch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HBurch Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 5:37pm
post #11 of 19

I am very new at torting and fillings. I have only done the choc. pudding mousse filling. But I am making a cake for a friends birthday in 2 weeks and she wants me to do strawberry filling. I took a look at the rasp. filling recipes and was thinking I could just substitute for strawberry....my main ? is this...she is thinking that this filling is like the really good kind that is in the wedding cakes and I don't know cause I am new at fillings. Can anyone give me tips on this? Does this taste great like wedding cake filling? It will be in a butter cake and I will be using buttercream frosting. I am getting pretty excited about to be honest. icon_smile.gif Thank you ladies.
Heather

melysa Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:46am
post #12 of 19

definately! this taste very fresh- nice and fruity. it doesnt taste "FAKE" at all. you could esily go with strawberry, almost any fruit for that matter. i did this raspberry filling with lemon cream cheese pound cake and also white almond sour cream cake. i had a lot of compliments on the flavors. the fruit will make a great combination with buttercake and an all butter buttercream. yum! let us know how it turns out!

HBurch Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 5:11pm
post #13 of 19

thanks for the feedback. I will post a picture after I make the cake. I have yet to venture into making homemade cake...i usually stick with the store bought butter cake cause all my family loves it. But I would love to start trying some other recipes. Should I go to recipes and start with the ones that have the most stars? icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 5:20pm
post #15 of 19

I make a yummy rasberry filling with a wine cooler. It is real easy and I've had lots of requests for it. I'll be glad to share if anyone wants.

squarepair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
squarepair Posted 1 May 2007 , 12:02pm
post #16 of 19

Please do share!!

Kristin

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 2 May 2007 , 4:16pm
post #17 of 19

1/4 C sugar; 2 T cornstarch; 1/8 t salt; 1 C flavored wine cooler (I've done rasberry and stawberry); 1 T butter or margarine; 1/8 t almond extract; food coloring if desired
Mix sugar cornstarch and salt in 1 1/2 qt saucepan. Stir in wine cooler. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in butter, almond extract and food coloring. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
ENJOY icon_smile.gif

HBurch Posted 13 May 2007 , 8:17pm
post #18 of 19

I just uploaded my Princess cake that I made for my friend's daughter's first birthday. Everyone said it tasted sooo good. I was impressed with the filling...yummy!! I was not impressed with the icing recipe (got off the recipe box for the buttercream for viva method). It all worked out in the end tho. icon_smile.gif Thanks to all for input, I love the ideas. Heather icon_smile.gif
LL

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 May 2007 , 5:09pm
post #19 of 19

suz3, that sounds so easy and so good. icon_smile.gif

Would you mind submitting it to the CC recipes section?

That way it won't get lost in the threads and it will be available to all CC members, not just the ones who caught this thread. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%