Wholesale Goods

Decorating By RRGibson Updated 14 Oct 2007 , 7:33pm by auntginn

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:00am
post #1 of 7

Does anyone do wholesale goods for a store, restaurant, etc?

I had a guy contact me and he's opening a new convenience store where he wants to offer home baked goods.

Is this profitable? Do you think it's worth it? It'll be easier than decorating so should take less time. I don't know how much to charge the guy or anything. I don't really want to pass up the opportunity because he's really willing to push my items to help me get more clients. I need help!

Thanks guys icon_cry.gif

6 replies
mcjohnson7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcjohnson7 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 10:13am
post #2 of 7

I personally don't see how you can make enough selling your baked goods wholesale. I have just started baking and selling frosted cakes at my local Flea Market. I make Red Velvet, Chocolate, Carrot, German Chocolate, etc. They are 9 inch 3 layer cakes and I sell them for $15 for a whole cake or $1.50 per slice. I put in a lot of hours during the week to have enough cakes to sell for the weekend and just this week, I sold out on Saturday and had to come home and make more to take out on Sunday. They are a whole lot easier than decorated cakes but I need so many more of them that it is extremely time consuming. I myself don't think I could afford to sell my goods wholesale to anyone. Hope this helps some.

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 10:55am
post #3 of 7

MCJohnson, Being in Alabama are you licensed to sell? I would do something like that w/the fleamarket but I would be terrified that some fool would turn me in. Thats the way my luck would run.

mcjohnson7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcjohnson7 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 7

Letme.....I recently saw a post on here with a link that lists all the states that require a license. According to that list, you are not required to have a license in Alabama. I wish I could tell you where I saw that post so you could see the list but maybe you could do a search for it or someone who knows what I'm talking about can point you in the right direction. Also, you could give your local Flea Market a call, the owners will be able to tell you if you have to have a license to sell at their market.

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 7

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-32550-states.html+licence+bakeries
States that License Home Bakeries CakeCentral.com

This might be what you are looking for. According to this list, Alabama does not license home bakeries. I am in the same boat. In South Carolina we are not allowed to bake from our homes either. Hope this helps.

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 7:30pm
post #6 of 7

That is the link i was looking for anythingsugar...I did not think Alabama licensed home bakeries.. Thats why i refuse to be able to do it at the fleamarket because i dont wanna take the chance of getting some idiot that gets offended because i am not licensed and then turn me in. There is however a bill that tried going through but apparently got denied...i am going to try to get the bill passed so that we can bake from home in Alabama and get licensed. Gotta call the state representatives for that though. wonder if i could get enough people to help get it passed.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 7

First of all wholesale means to sell or purchase with the intent of reselling, whether it is a product ready to eat, wear or use, or whether it is a product that will be used in preparation of another product.

As for making money (to become profitable) I think you need to ask yourself (and the market in your area) What is wholesale? How much will you need to reduce from your regular retail price and how much quantity will you need to sell then to make a profit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%