Can I Just Say...i Hate Bake Even Strips!

Decorating By melysa Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 12:39pm by Tina_Mace

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:35pm
post #31 of 43

How does everyone keep the strips in place? I've been using safety pins, and I use several pins when the pan is too big; looks like a baking strip with a silver chain.

I also get SO frustrated when it slips off the pan as I'm trying to maneuver it into the hot oven. They're wet, slippery, and don't fit the pans exactly. Too bad they don't attach by something like Velcro!

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 1:51pm
post #32 of 43

Amber

I think it was about $7 I got an inexpensive one from Target. its the kind you hang from the rack. You should definitely get one its soooo worth it.
My oven is fairly new and would give me a digital countdown when it was preheating so I would know when it was at the set temp...... WRONG!!!!!! Now I just use my thermometer to check the temp and I'm having less problems. Like I said go get one soon you'll be happy you did.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 2:04pm
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4sugar

How does everyone keep the strips in place? I've been using safety pins, and I use several pins when the pan is too big; looks like a baking strip with a silver chain.

I also get SO frustrated when it slips off the pan as I'm trying to maneuver it into the hot oven. They're wet, slippery, and don't fit the pans exactly. Too bad they don't attach by something like Velcro!

I just use the straight pin that came with the strips. Pull it tight until the ends overlap (sometimes they overlap by 4-6", depending on the size of the pan and the strip) and slide a straight pin in.l

If your baking strip is not wrapping entirely around the pan, you need to buy bigger strips. They come in boxes of two sizes ..... to fit 8/10/12 pans and to fit 14/16 pans. Sometimes I have to pin two together for my 14x22 and my 12x18 sheets.

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 7:19pm
post #34 of 43

Oh, okay...I guess I need the bigger strips. I saw one size and bought that.

Thanks, Debi.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 8:22pm
post #35 of 43

someone from CC a long time ago, in a "your best tip" kind of thread suggested using the metal office binder clips to attach the bake even strips. I tried it once and never looked back! SOOOO much easier than that stupid straight pin.

My DH will be happy to hear that I too am a stripper icon_redface.gif

nl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nl3 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 2:53am
post #36 of 43

so most of you who used the bake even strip will attach it to the round pan that is 14" & up or just any size? I don't own a strip but have considered many many times to buy one & try. I use Magic Line but still have dome in the center. icon_cry.gif

Brandonsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandonsmommy Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 12:57pm
post #37 of 43

I am a NEW stripper! icon_surprised.gif

I have made 2 cakes w/ them and have found that I don't have the dome and they rise higher.

I did have trouble w/ getting them go around my pans but I think it's because they are not exactly "square" the edges are round. What I do is put the pan on a cookie sheet to keep it in place that works good.

I soak mine in ice water while I making the batter.

I use PAM cooking spray and don't have sticking, other then just a little thin layer on the bottom but not chunks or anything that will alter the cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 11:16am
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by nl3

so most of you who used the bake even strip will attach it to the that is 14" & up or just any size? I don't own a strip but have considered many many times to buy one & try. I use but still have dome in the center. icon_cry.gif

I use them on ALL cakes .... round, square, big, small .... even my 6" cakes.

mrstoponak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrstoponak Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 11:40am
post #39 of 43

I would glady become a stripper if it ment my "humps" would stay away!!

my cakes however... are fine icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

dueter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dueter Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 11:52am
post #40 of 43

I think the strips work well on the el cheapo pans. Yes ladies, I am sad to say that I still have some really cheap pans..not even wilton. I am still trying to get my s%!# together and buy some nice pans.

So for now any way I'm a stripper too. TMI the song "Tequilla makes her clothes come off" should be my theme song.

nl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nl3 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:34pm
post #41 of 43

thank you all for the wonderful input. I think I will get a strip & try it out icon_biggrin.gif

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:28pm
post #42 of 43

I did learn something new about the strips last night...it makes a difference what length strip you use on your pans.

Long ago my Wilton instructor told us that the length of the strip didn't matter - just continue wrapping around and pin in place.

Well, I just upgraded to newer, longer length strips, and I've been having an occasional problem with my smaller size cakes being raw and uncooked in the middle. I realized last night it's because the strip is too long and it lower the temperature enough that the middle of my cakes aren't baking AT ALL.

So let that be a lesson to us all...use the right length strips on your pans!

Tina_Mace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tina_Mace Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:39pm
post #43 of 43

I use the strips all the time and love them. I was always poking my fingers trying to get the pin in and the strip would always slip. I now take the strip and put it around the pan (the pan is upside down) and mark the spot where the one end overlaps the strip with my finger, take it off the pan and pin it together and then slip the strip on the pan. I haven't poked a finger since!

If you hate your strips, please send them my way -- I'm a happy stripper! Again, TMI!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%