I'd Rather Bake Cakes Than Cookies!

Baking By kaseynh Updated 12 Oct 2007 , 5:05pm by yankeegal

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:22am
post #1 of 17

I tried my hand at making sugar cut-out cookies and for life of me can't figure out how anybody can enjoy making them! The first dozen I made fondant cutouts to cover the cookie with. I got so frustrated with it, I covered the rest of the cookies with sprinkles. icon_razz.gif
How do you "cookie people" do it day in and day out? It is so very time consuming, rolling out the dough, cutting it, putting on the pan, baking 8-10 minutes, getting the next batch ready to go, pulling out the first batch, juggling the pans, putting in the second batch, covering the first batch with the fondant cutouts, cooling the first batch, getting the third batch rolled out and cut, and on and on it goes! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif
I would much rather mix my cake, pour it in the pans and bake it for 25 or so minutes, cool for 10 minutes and pop them out of the pans to finish cooling. I am not saying either one is easier, just I get more frustrated with the cookies! icon_biggrin.gif
Here is my batch of sugar cookies, they tasted great but I will go back to making cakes, they make me happy!
LL

16 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:15am
post #2 of 17

Well, for all of your frustration, your cookies look wonderful!

I do mine in an assembly line fashion. Roll out dough and cut out all cookies. Clean mess. Place cookies on baking sheet and line 'em up ready to go in the oven. It doesn't take long for them to cool, so by the time the 2nd pan comes out, the first ones are cool and I can gather them all in a big container. When they're all baked....clean mess.

Line up cookies and decorate them in an assembly line manner.

Cookies do take more time than cakes, but the good news is they are more easily organized, and you can do so much more ahead of time (freezing).

But dollar for dollar, I'd rather do a wedding cake!

SCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCS Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:37am
post #3 of 17

When I made my first batch of cookies, that's exactly what I thought! My cookies seemed to take ages to make, cook and decorate!!!

However, as I've done a few more, it does seem to get easier and more enjoyable! Admittedly I haven't made lots of cookies in one go, but I actually enjoy making them now!

mawagner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mawagner Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 10:48am
post #4 of 17

I would take cookies over cakes anyday! I look at it this way...when I make a cake I only have one chance to "get it right", but when I make cookies I have many chances to "get it right". They are very time consuming, but it gets easier over time. I think comfort level has a lot to do with the speed.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 11:50am
post #5 of 17

I think I get in a zone when I decorate cookies. I rarely ever bake and decorate on the same day...too much time in the kitchen! But the repetition when decorating is calming. I don't have to over-analyze the decorating process like I do when I do cakes.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 12:09pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Well, for all of your frustration, your cookies look wonderful!

I do mine in an assembly line fashion. Roll out dough and cut out all cookies. Clean mess. Place cookies on baking sheet and line 'em up ready to go in the oven. It doesn't take long for them to cool, so by the time the 2nd pan comes out, the first ones are cool and I can gather them all in a big container. When they're all baked....clean mess.

Line up cookies and decorate them in an assembly line manner.

Cookies do take more time than cakes, but the good news is they are more easily organized, and you can do so much more ahead of time (freezing).

But dollar for dollar, I'd rather do a wedding cake!

Ditto your thought exactly Debi! I used to only do cookies (back in late 90's) and they were VERY time-consuming, but I got "in the zone" and cranked them out! Since I started baking cakes, I've sworn off cookies, although I just delivered a cookie bouquet this week! I cursed the entire way through it and then removed the "cookies" page from my website! HA HA!

nikki1201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1201 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 12:45pm
post #7 of 17

I would have to say i enjoy cookies more! I like to plan ahead, and i make them so often that i now keep the dough already made in the freezer. i do as much as i can in one day, but if i can't take it anymore, i stop and pick up the next day. Most of the time, i roll, cut, bake, and decorate in one night. i prefer to do about 2 dozen at a time, but have done up to 12 dozen. It is very time consuming, but it is my "relaxing" time.... (i'm not crazy....lol.) It gets quicker every time for me. and they look better every time, too! I love cakes, but i just haven't had any great ones yet! Someday i will have a cake to be proud of, and i will keep making 'em, but cookies make me happy! icon_biggrin.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 12:52pm
post #8 of 17

I agree with you nikki! Cookies make me happy, too. And who doesn't like a pretty cookie? There's just something special about an individual little treat that brings a smile to the face.

Ginnycakes3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ginnycakes3 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:57pm
post #9 of 17

kasey your cookies look great. Sorry you were frustrated with your first time effort's decorating sugar cookies w/fondant.

Baking makes me happy whether it's cookies or cakes etc...but I have baked and decorated so many cakes since the beginning of summer that I am getting a little caked out right now. I am looking forward to doing more sugar cookies and other cookies in general. (I am making my younger son a cake for his Bday at the end of this month).

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:10pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseynh

I tried my hand at making sugar cut-out cookies and for life of me can't figure out how anybody can enjoy making them! The first dozen I made fondant cutouts to cover the cookie with. I got so frustrated with it, I covered the rest of the cookies with sprinkles. icon_razz.gif
How do you "cookie people" do it day in and day out? It is so very time consuming, rolling out the dough, cutting it, putting on the pan, baking 8-10 minutes, getting the next batch ready to go, pulling out the first batch, juggling the pans, putting in the second batch, covering the first batch with the fondant cutouts, cooling the first batch, getting the third batch rolled out and cut, and on and on it goes! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif
I would much rather mix my cake, pour it in the pans and bake it for 25 or so minutes, cool for 10 minutes and pop them out of the pans to finish cooling. I am not saying either one is easier, just I get more frustrated with the cookies! icon_biggrin.gif
Here is my batch of sugar cookies, they tasted great but I will go back to making cakes, they make me happy!

My dear, I do cookies all the time and the trick is to get a rythym going. I have four large cookie sheets, a special rolling pin with the wooden wheels on either side for sizing the dough, I roll out the dough between parchment and chill on another cookie sheet, then stamp out and bake. Production line!! By the way, your fondant covered pumpkins are AWESOME!! Don't give up, just get a rythym going and you will see how much easier that is. Also, practice, practice, practice -- that will help you to go quicker at the techniques you are using. Keep up the good work!! icon_biggrin.gif

stellaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stellaz Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:20pm
post #11 of 17

Nikki I'm wondering if its a WI thing. I love doing cookies too!! It is a practice thing but very relaxing for me. My cakes are limited to my son's birthday or individual desserts. One big project scares me. I'd whip out your cookies for you any day. Anyone want to do my cakes? icon_smile.gif

gidgetsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetsmom Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:25pm
post #12 of 17

Your fondant pumpkins are lovely.

Cookies are a little more frustrating to me too - but I know it's that "rhythm" thing. The more I do them the better it goes.

Debi - I really like your way of doing it. I think one of the things that frustrates me is having mess around. Cookies just seem to make more of one than cakes.

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:40pm
post #13 of 17

I felt the same way when I started cookies!
I thought this is rediculous and I'd never be a cookie person...
ok, fastforeward a few months and several cookies and now I think I'm a cookie person! I have enjoyed them more than my last couple cakes! (craziness for sure!)
like everyone else said, each time it has gotten faster and I have found better ways of doing things...

note to self, good planning Indydebi, I need more cookie sheets!

take a break and then do more cookies again! maybe you'll get inspired by all the cute Christmas cookies!

oh, I forgot, your pumpkins are adorable! thumbs_up.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:12pm
post #14 of 17

Now that I've started playing around with cakes in the last few months, I'm really starting to like them more than cookies. Ack! My business name is "Blank BLank Cookies!" LOL!! I think it will be easy to add "& Cakes" to the end of it. LOL!

I do mine in assembly fashion as well. Mix the dough, chill cutouts in freezer, pull them out as I'm baking. Sometimes I make dough and freeze one day, bake the next, decorate the next. I have another full-time job that requires my attention 9 to 5....unfortunately. Lately my mom has been my cookie baker though, so I just get the fun of decorating!!

P.S. Your cookies do look great!! It will get easier with time.

Peg2665 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peg2665 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:26pm
post #15 of 17

I hear ya. For years I thought I hated to bake, but in reality I just hate baking cookies. But if I could get organized and set up the assembly line like our fearless leader Indydebi, I just might enjoy it more. We shall see as the holiday season is rapidly approaching.
Peg

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 4:04pm
post #16 of 17

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Ah, it's only because I'm basically a lazy person! If there's a quicker, faster way to do it, I'm there! icon_lol.gif

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 5:05pm
post #17 of 17

I follow pretty much indydebi's method as well. I agree that having enough cookie sheets and cleaning up as you go help make the process easier. That and having plenty of racks to dry the cookies on as well.

I always say that I am in awe of those of you that create cakes-I am a nervous wreck when I have to do one for a family member and the cake I do could never compare to most of the ones on this site!

BTW-Your cookies look great-give cookies a little more time and you will learn to love them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%