Offended My Mother!!!!!

Decorating By sugartopped Updated 6 Aug 2005 , 4:20pm by mrsfish94

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 2:13am
post #1 of 28

icon_mad.gif Ok, start out with the angry face b/c.....my mother comes in at 8:30PM to drop off my son and asks if I remembered when HER friend ASKED ME to do a birthday cake for her son!! I said...yes, when is it? does she still want me to do it? "Yes, his birthday was today!!!" She looked at me like she couldn't believe I forgot! I said her friend NEVER told me when she wanted it...just wanted to know if I could do it. So she asks if I could still do one for this Saturday. I said sure.....what does she want. She said he likes computers. I said I could come up with something....then said....how many people should it feed and how much does she want to spend?? Mom said..."you're going to charge her??" She said I have been doing all kinds of cakes for people at work for free...and i barely know them...but I would make her friend pay. I tried to explain those were cakes from my Wilton classes and they just got lucky that I didn't have anything else to do with them....plus her friend ASKED me to do it....I didn't volunteer!!!!! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!! She asked how much I would charge for a small cake and said $15......and my MOTHER thought that was too much for her friend!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif I said that is pretty much at cost to just cover my supplies!! Then she said "well, I'll have to see if she still wants it!!"

It's Thursday night for crying out loud!!! icon_mad.gif I need to know what to do so I can start tom!!

MOTHERS!!! I love her...but jee whiz!!!

Thanks for letting me rant a bit!!
Christine

27 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 2:36am
post #2 of 28

LOL.. I feel for you Christine.. you're kinda caught between it all because of your Mom ... but in my honest opinion, she shouldn't ask you to do them for free icon_sad.gif

meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 2:48am
post #3 of 28

I had a topic on this not too long ago actually mine was the opposite it was the mother in law Well since I got everyones opinions on how to handle extended family I emailed them all a flyer HA! HA! Hey I actually got an order from my brother in law off of it! However he tryed to take me for $10 I went to his house and collected or I never would have saw it! It was for an 1/2 sheet with the BCT I charged him $30 because it was for work not family so he didn't get the family discount. icon_lol.gif

crouton800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crouton800 Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 3:23am
post #4 of 28

Oh no. How I sympathise with you Christine. Sometimes it seems we can never do right with our mother-in-law icon_sad.gif

This is actually an interesting topic. When should one charge friends/family? I know a lot has been said that we should charge, no matter what. If you choose to give a big discount to friends, then that's a personal choice.

I've just started on this baking/decorating route and i'm finding it a bit uncomforable charging good friends, although my friends would never order a cake for free. That would be too presumtious, wouldn't it?

I was wondering for all of you out there that does charge your friends but give them a discount, how much % would you give? We're talking about full decorated cakes like birthday cakes and special occasion cakes. Do you guys also feel more pressure or higher expectation baking for friends than people you don't know?

thank you.

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 5:00am
post #5 of 28

I think we need to get Paul Harvey in on this one,, For More of the story..hahaha..

Anyway, I think that you should only GIVE cakes away If You want to. icon_twisted.gif & for Mom to think that you were just going to GIVE a Cake to her friend because of their friendship is really not Fair to you.

I really think that Mom needs a break down of the cost of supplies, your time, and the time your oven is on, this all Cost you money, Not to mention you have to buy the cake box and boards. & then ask her if she can understand that is why you said 15.00 for a speicality cake. which would be MUCH more from a bakery. And then say well Mom, You wanna pay for it since you dont think ~insert friends name here~ should????

I love you Mom but I can't do this all for free. icon_twisted.gificon_surprised.gif

Sometimes People just get wrapped up in My Daughter or Son can do this or that and dont think anything about offering you up to do something.. hahaha.. Gotta Love 'Em .

But Rant any time we all Understand and are great for Lifting each others spirits.

Good Luck with the Cake! icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

~Sweet~ icon_rolleyes.gif

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 28

That would frustrate the bejeebers (<- that's a technical term, LOL) out of me too. Look at it this way, your Mom was probably bragging to her friend about your cakes when the subject came up, so somehow, this is a compliment to you. (Looking for the silver lining here...) icon_smile.gif

Hope you get it all worked out.

edcjenv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edcjenv Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 28

I know you're frustrated and I think you have every right to be...but I agree w/momsandraven. Maybe a good plan of action would be to sit down and talk with your mom and gently let her know that it is expensive and time consuming to decorate cakes and that all you're charging is for supplies and maybe a teensy bit for your time. Also...my best referrals are friends and family who i have charged and then their referrals branch into others. I'd apologize for the miscommunication, but stand firm on charging the friend. Don't be too stressed....it'll blow over.

Lemondrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemondrop Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 3:28pm
post #8 of 28

Christine,

{{{{Hugs}}}} I'm so sorry that you're mom treated you that way. Please make the friend pay, because she will be back for more if you don't. Let us know how it turned out. {{{{Hugs}}}}

Denise

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 3:30pm
post #9 of 28

Mothers sometimes have a sneaky habit of volunteering their children to do things!! icon_surprised.gif ( I know mine did, and it was usually at the worst time ) My rule is this. I will provide free cakes to my sister and her children (there is only the two of us and she only has two kids) Any one else in the family pays. I do not charge them what I would charge a regular "customer". But I do charge enough to cover the cost of my supplies. If my sister says to me " my friend wants you to make a cake for ... I give her a copy of my price list to give to that friend. Or I say give her my phone number and I will talk to her directly. This way it keeps my sister out of the middle and the friend knows I expect payment for my services. I hope you and mom work this out!! icon_rolleyes.gif Good Luck!

lilyrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyrose Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 4:49pm
post #10 of 28

A friend of my husbands wife invited us to her husbands birthday party. She said no gifts. In the next breath she asked me to bring a cake & that can be our gift to him!!! Do you think she has any intention of paying for the cake? Me either. I think it was a rude way of getting a free cake!! And of course I'll bring it!! Just wanted to share.

lilyrose

Genna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Genna Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 5:03pm
post #11 of 28

Geez, I'm SO sorry you got stuck in the middle of that! Just to share, I had an order for my mom's friend because she wanted a b-day cake for her son (she ordered the cake at 5:30 pm and wanted it early the next day). Well, I made the cutest hamburger cake and my mom called in the morning to tell her it was done. The "friend" casually canceled over the phone because they decided to have the party the following Saturday. She then called the following Saturday to ask if we remembered the cake...I was like,"You never actually ordered one!". To make a long story short I think she should have paid for the first one anyway, but my mom was just *shocked* that I thought this and told her not to worry about it. And, once again...we only charged her $15 in the end...a huge deal! I feel your pain!!!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 5:49pm
post #12 of 28

A good friend of mine owns a gas station...I pay whatever the pump reads. My first cousin is a plumber. I pay whatever the going rate is. My brother's Godfather owns a deli. I pay the cost of my groceries. I never have bad feelings after forking over the dough. As a matter of fact...I while drive a few blocks out of my way for gas just to give my friend the business.

Why in the world do we have these feelings of guilt when we ask for money for our hard work? Excluding immediate family....I think everyone should pay us just like we pay them!!!

edcjenv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edcjenv Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 5:53pm
post #13 of 28

adven68 --- you nailed it! Good thought process!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 6:07pm
post #14 of 28

I posted a couple months ago about a wedding cake i was "asked" to make and was never given a date, # of people or any details on what kind of cake - well - the friend that asked me to make the cake "for her friend" was my mom! you gotta love 'em! She called me 3 days before the wedding asking if i'd started the cake yet. I already had a tiered cake and a first birthday cake going for the same day. I wasn't able to make the wedding cake. I heard more stories from people that my mom had given on why i didn't make the cake for "her" and how i'd let her down, etc. It's very frustrating! The other side of the family knows they will be paying for a cake when they ask for one unless I decide to tell them no charge and no one has a problem with it! It's not easy but stick to your guns!

Good Luck!
Debbie

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 6:24pm
post #15 of 28

I am sorry to hear this, pinkbunny!!!! Really, she should be looking at for you and if anything finding customers for you!!! icon_surprised.gif

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 6:32pm
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genna

Geez, I'm SO sorry you got stuck in the middle of that! Just to share, I had an order for my mom's friend because she wanted a b-day cake for her son (she ordered the cake at 5:30 pm and wanted it early the next day). Well, I made the cutest hamburger cake and my mom called in the morning to tell her it was done. The "friend" casually canceled over the phone because they decided to have the party the following Saturday. She then called the following Saturday to ask if we remembered the cake...I was like,"You never actually ordered one!". To make a long story short I think she should have paid for the first one anyway, but my mom was just *shocked* that I thought this and told her not to worry about it. And, once again...we only charged her $15 in the end...a huge deal! I feel your pain!!!

ARGHHH!!! How RUDE!!!!! Order, then cancel, not tell, and then tells you if you remembered to make it for next Saturday?? I just want to scream....!!!!!! icon_cry.gificon_mad.gif

meme Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 7:09pm
post #17 of 28

Genna, at that point I think I would have looked up the number to the nearest store bakery and gave it too her! That was a bit much!

eve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 7:23pm
post #18 of 28

Well, that's just too darn bad !! for her...! icon_twisted.gif

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 7:31pm
post #19 of 28

The way I get around any problems like that is - I record any and all inquiries about cakes on my calendar and no matter how small or casual the conversation - I always get back to that person within 5 days - saying - hey, that cake we talked about.......... That has saved me a couple times. Business is business - family or not. thumbs_up.gif

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 7:43pm
post #20 of 28

good idea!

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 8:07pm
post #21 of 28

BJ -

Perfect solution!! I'll adopt that one, if you don't mind!!?? icon_razz.gif

Jennifer

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 1:59am
post #22 of 28

Wow...thanks for all the support! I'm sure everyone has some sort of similar experience...b/c lets face it...family is...well family!! icon_rolleyes.gif Wouldn't expect anything else!!

I ended up not making the cake b/c my mom's friend said she thought it was going to be free...surprise, surprise! So she went to Walmart and bought one instead!! icon_confused.gif Oh well...get what you paid for!

Talked to my mom though and she said she was sorry!! icon_rolleyes.gif Never did get a straight answer about whether or not she said I would do it for free though!! And from now on, she will tell her friends that I make cakes and give them my number so we can discuss what I can do for them. And I will tell them about my prices!!

But I like BJ's solution and I acutally bought a small calendar today so that I can carry it in my purse!!

Thanks,
Christine

scoobam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobam Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 2:10am
post #23 of 28

Glad your mom said she was sorry...

Let me get this straight... the friend didn't want to pay YOU for a personally made cake.. but was willing to cough up the money (probably more than you would charge) to Wal-Mart?!?!??! icon_eek.gif What was she thinking?!?!?!? icon_confused.gif

meme Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 3:00pm
post #24 of 28

I am not understanding this! She would rather pay Walmart then you? That makes me mad! icon_confused.gif

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 3:23pm
post #25 of 28

these are the days that i am glad i dont have to deal with family. were just too far away..

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 4:07pm
post #26 of 28

If a person, family, family friend, or not, thinks that a cake ordered at whatever store would be better than a personally decorated cake, the so be it. No one can blame me if it doesn't taste right.

Debbi

mommykicksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommykicksbutt Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 4:15pm
post #27 of 28

the only time I "give" a cake away is if the cake is my gift to them! Everyone in my family (and close friends) knows this, and if (BIG IF) I volunteer to do the cake. Everyone also knows (I made it very clear) that my time is very valuable to me and there will never be any assumption that I will do a cake for anyone. They must fill out an order form and sign it with a deposit, a causual conversation is not an order, I make it an offical process so I can use it to remind them that they did (or didn't order a cake and what size, flavor, ect...). Make up a 1 page very simple order form, get a $10.00 deposit to cover some of your costs to start the cake upfront, call them a few days before the due date of the cake to verify everything and to remind them of the balance due. Also you could even do up a page of itemized costs for people to see when they order a cake (most people have no clue what a cake really costs!!!!). Keep a photo album of all of your cakes with the cost charged for that cake as a reminder to you of what you have charged as a future reference. At first people may have thought I was being a B__ch about it but they get over that soon enough and realize you are conducting yourself as a business when it comes to your cakes. Keep strict about family placing an offical order on a form and getting a deposit! They will eventually come to respect your work and time..... Even your mom. icon_biggrin.gif

mrsfish94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfish94 Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 4:20pm
post #28 of 28

You know I am sorry to hear this. Because one of the things I hear most about my cakes is that...the customers know it is fresh because the sent of the cake smells so good!!! Most cakes you buy in the store (Wal-Mart or grocery stores) Don't have a strong sent because they were made up to a week before.

I can't believe that she didn't want you to do the cake after all. But I would take this as a learning experiance. Thanks for sharing your story. Now I know what I would do in this situation...should it ever arise.

Just my 2 cents icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%