Buttercream Sitting Out?

Decorating By Lemonydoodles Updated 12 Oct 2007 , 1:16am by PattyLen

Lemonydoodles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemonydoodles Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 14

I'm taking several cupcakes to a bake sale for a church this weekend & wanted to find out how long can the cupcakes be out of the fridge? I use the Wilton buttercream recipe (mainly because I am chicken to try anything else...sad, I know). Is milk the only thing in the recipe that "could" cause it to go bad? They will be thoroughly refrigerated before the event overnight. Thanks in advance for your help icon_smile.gif

Christa

13 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 14

they should be fine. If you are really concerned try subbing water for the milk.

manders Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manders Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 14

it should be fine...I have learned form cc that somthing in the sugar stabilizes the milk so it does not need to be refriderated. I use milk in my bc and never refrigerate.

Lemonydoodles Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 14

should I advise people who buy them to refrigerate them once they get home? How long can they sit out before getting yucky?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 14

There is plenty of sugar in there to act as a preservative. I have let that icing sit out (except I use 1/2 butter 1/2 crisco) for 4-5 days with no problems. I don't use milk I use water, but you should be just fine.

Lemonydoodles Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 14

thanks ladies icon_smile.gif I also use 1/2 butter 1/2 crisco...which is what the wilton recipe is.....so, I now feel confident in taking them to the bake sale.

woodyfam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodyfam Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 14

Sugar stabilizes the milk....wow, you guys are so amazing. I never knew that! That is great information.

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 14

Yes, it's the ratio of sugar to fat that acts as a preservative. The first cake I made for my MIL I made on a Fri. night, delivered it Sat. and she left it as a centerpiece on her table all weekend icon_eek.gif She said she didn't cut into it until Mon. night and it was delicious. Up until that point I had never left out a cake for more than an hour. Now I do it all the time and they are always great! I use a tweaked Wilton recipe that calls for both butter and half and half-no problems at all thumbs_up.gif

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 12:05am
post #9 of 14

Wahhh! icon_cry.gif

Then why did my icing made with shortening, margarine and milk go sour after two days on the counter???

Has anyone else had this happen?

mrsw4eva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsw4eva Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 12:14am
post #10 of 14

in our class, we were told to make it with water. it doesnt taste any different and there is never any worry about leaving it out!

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 12:29am
post #11 of 14

Maybe it was the margarine? I've never used margarine in my bc, only butter and shortening....

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 12:37am
post #12 of 14

I would say margarine, too. I use a shortening and butter recipe, too. But I only use real butter in my butter cream.

I leave mine out for up to 3 days and recommend to my customers that they store it in the fridge to legthen the freshness. I may have already have had it out for 2 days. I store in the fridge up to a week. Then the OCD comes out in me and it becomes toxic!!!! icon_smile.gif NO CAKE FOR YOU!!!!

countrykittie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrykittie Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 12:50am
post #13 of 14

I personally never ever refrigerate my cakes, even when they are already iced. I just think that the refrigerator seems to dry them out more. I just leave my cakes out on the counter, and if a piece is taken from the cake, I use some saran wrap to cover up the part that is missing. My cakes have lasted for a week on the counter. I also use water in my BC recipe.

PattyLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyLen Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 1:16am
post #14 of 14

Does the same hold true with Cream Cheese Frosting? I always refrigerate that too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%