Rookie Needs Help

Decorating By newmexicomommy Updated 12 Oct 2007 , 2:26am by newmexicomommy

newmexicomommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmexicomommy Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 3:35am
post #1 of 4

I just started making cakes with fondant. Before that the most creative I got was adding sprinkles to the top of a DH mix. I'm doing alright with the decorations but I can't seem to cover it the way I want. I see all the pictures of fondant covered cakes with a nice edge on the rim but mine always seems to mash into rounded edge. I think I'm not doing something right when putting on the bc. I have a hard time getting it smooth. Is there any tips on how I can improve this? I just know there is some trick out there I don't know about and it's driving me crazy! icon_cry.gif Thanks in advance!

3 replies
Crystal13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crystal13 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:00am
post #2 of 4

I like to use the Viva paper towel to smooth out my buttercream...you let your buttercream crust over a bit and then you take a Viva paper towel and lay it on the cake and run your hand over the paper towel to smooth. You'll know if your bc hasn't crusted enough if paper towel sticks. Just wait a few more minutes and try again. I always start with the top first and then do the sides. As for that top edge I just keep alternating between top and side with my smoothing all the way around until I get a clean edge. Does this make sense...I am realizing how hard it is to describe something in words!! icon_smile.gif Anyhow, I hope this helps...maybe also watch how thin you roll out your fondant... if it is too thin could possibly cause the problem you're having.

laureli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laureli Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 4:16am
post #3 of 4

In addition to the paper towel method, a little freezer time does wonders. Then re-ice. You can press pretty hard with that spatula at this point, and the icing really smooths out. I like non crusting icing best, so use this method for both crusting and non crusting. HTH

newmexicomommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmexicomommy Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 2:26am
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much! Great advice. I'll try both. I love this site! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%