I'm So Upset....long

Decorating By tkdnvymom Updated 13 Oct 2007 , 4:23am by erinalicia

tkdnvymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tkdnvymom Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:28am
post #1 of 19

Hi fellow CC'ers
I am so upset today. I'm sorry for long story.
I have 3 cake orders to do for this Sat. It is the Navy Birthday and the woman I know from our local American Legion asked me if I would make a cake for the Naval Birthday; I said no problem. I decided to do 3 small cakes because I couldn't decide on one cake. I started practicing one cake and it took me 3 tries. I finally got it to the way I wanted. It's a 10 inch square cake cut diagonally to form a triangle. It looks like a folded flag in a wooden display case. I sent the practice cake to my oldest sons NJROTC class @ school (last thing I need is cake). Well, the Cmdr of the program just loved the cake and he wanted to order one for today, they were having there Naval Birthday award ceremony today and there was an invited guest speaker that is active navy and was leaving state. I started working on it since Monday, baking, coloring icing,etc... I finished it late Tuesday evening. I was going to deliver it myself, but my son said it needed to be at school by 9am. Well, I have a disabled son and his bus arrives anywhere from 8:30-9a. I didn't want it to be late, so I sent it with my son early this morning and I would go the award ceremony after my youngest son left. I got to the school a little after 9a and I saw my cake sitting on a table outside and was glad it made it to school in one piece with a bunch of teenagers. The ceremony went along fine until it was time for the guest speaker. He made his speech and it was time for them to award him with my personalize custom cake. I saw my son and his fellow cadet get up and go get the cake to present him with it and my son came back with no cake and whispered something to the Cmdr and that was the end of the ceremony with please join us with refreshments and dessert outside. Will I looked for my cake and low and behold, the parent of the NJROTC advisory committee had took it upon herself to how shell I say it " Hack " up my cake and pass it out to the parents. My jaw hit the ground and I was nearly in tears, not because they cut it up but because I made the special cake for someone and he was to take it home for him and his family. It was to be a paid cake and I just told the Cmdr not to worry about it, think of it as a donation. I worked so hard on this cake to make it perfect. When my son got home from school I asked more questions and it turned out that this mom is one of those parents does what she wants when she wants and was told that this cake was to be presented to the guest speaker. Guess she didn't care. Thank you guys for letting me vent, I feel better now.

18 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:36am
post #2 of 19

So sorry that that happened to you.. some people have NO class.

angelcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakesmom Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:41am
post #3 of 19

Oh my! I'm so sorry! The nerve of some people! icon_evil.gif
Maybe you should have HER pay for the cake since SHE decided to ruin his gift! icon_twisted.gif

DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:47am
post #4 of 19

Wow, I am sorry that happened to you!

Maybe the cake was too nice to be left unattended. Seems there are more 'not nice' people, than nice people.

I hope you are feeling better.

Debbie

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:49am
post #5 of 19

I think at the very least, a NASTY-GRAM is in order!

elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:56am
post #6 of 19

i'm so sorry this happened. i know what you accomplished was exhausting to say the least.

when a couple of days pass, i would call this mom and ask her who told her to cut the cake. then, i explain to her every detail of what you went through. she needs to know that her actions have an affect on others.

hang in there!

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 1:06am
post #7 of 19

what a bummer,some people are so ignorant. Did you or anybody confront this woman about what she did?

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 2:21am
post #8 of 19

HOW RUDE.. especially since she was told it was for a special presentation. It is so sad that some people just have no consideration anymore.

tkdnvymom Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 3:41am
post #9 of 19

I don't know if anyone confronted her but I knew who she was and I made sure she heard me when I said "where's my cake, who cut up my cake my cake was a gift for someone. Poor Cmdr was given a small piece with one lonely little star on it. How sad. I didn't even get a picture of the finished cake. I was planning on taking a picture of it when they presented to him and him holding his cake for my portfolio. Oh, well what can we do. I wasn't even making that much on it, I was only charging $25 for it cost of supplies and $10 profit. So it wasn't even about the money I guess it was more of being acknowleged when they presented to him and the audience saw the cake and I get reconized for making it. At least I have my other 3 cakes I know for sure this weekend that this won't happen.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 5:50am
post #10 of 19

So sorry to hear this! I hate the special speaker wasn't able to take it home. The person who cut the cake had no right to touch it unless being told to by someone in charge! Some people have such nerve.

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:15am
post #11 of 19

I can't stand what happened to you!!! You need to write that lady a letter telling her what you went throughhhhhh to make that cake and what allll your expectations were that night. Let us know if she ever apoligizes! I can imagine if that happen to me I would'nt be able to sleep.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:13pm
post #12 of 19

I would send her an invoice.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:31pm
post #13 of 19

I am so sorry that happened to you. I did the folded flag in a case for part of my state fair novelty entry, so I know how much time goes into making it look just right. I feel so bad that you weren't able to enjoy the admiration that you should have felt after all of your hard work! I'm especially sorry that you don't even have a picture. You will be able to duplicate it again sometime. I do a lot of cakes for the MCJROTC program and basically do whatever I feel like doing at the time-they are always happy. Pick another special occassion and let your cake take center stage like I'm sure it deserved.

tkdnvymom Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 1:26pm
post #14 of 19

Thank you all, I know I can count on all of you guys. I know there will be other cakes to do fo them like on dining out. This is my sons senior year and he is leaving for Great Lakes, Chicago for his bootcamp next July. From what I understand from my son his fellow cadets confronted the son and they all ganged up on him and let him know what he and his mom had did,especially when they were told numerous times not to touch the cake that it was for the ceremony. My son also I found out that he put a note on it "don't touch". I guess they can't read either.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 1:41pm
post #15 of 19

What makes it so bad is that they were told not to touch it. I cannot believe the nerve of that woman. She owes everyone a huge apology but more than likely, you won't get it.

Diane

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 1:47pm
post #16 of 19

That is outrageous!! icon_eek.gif Some people, I swear. I agree that she should pay for it. But at least everyone knew your intentions.

BTW, my brother is in the Navy, he's a fire controlman stationed in Norfolk. GO NAVY! icon_biggrin.gif

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 8:46pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizw

i'm so sorry this happened. i know what you accomplished was exhausting to say the least.

when a couple of days pass, i would call this mom and ask her who told her to cut the cake. then, i explain to her every detail of what you went through. she needs to know that her actions have an affect on others.

hang in there!

I just wanted to throw in there, that I think this is really really good advice from elizew. Once you calm down, this will be a big help to her, whether she knows it yet or not. Some people dont see where their actions go. I would talk to this lady (and bypass the stories about her)

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 10:35pm
post #18 of 19

I'm so sorry to hear this. My blood starts to boil over some things people do. It just amazes me. I have no idea if talking to this woman would do any good, if she is like you say and does what she wants, she'll just pay it no mind just like the instructions she was given before.

I'm really sorry you didn't get a pic, I would have loved to see the cake. Try to look forward to your cakes this weekend and next time I'd put a ROTC guard around it icon_biggrin.gif

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 4:23am
post #19 of 19

WOW.... Sometimes it is just hard to believe that people can be so inconsiderate of others.

I think if I had been you, I'd have walked up to the lady and asked her just who in hell she thought she was and who gave her permission to cut your cake after she'd been told it was for the ceremony? It shows how disrespectful she is.

This woman apparently thinks that the world revolves around her or that rules and common courtesies don't apply to her. *UGH* Some people just make me want to shake them....

So sorry this happened to you though. It sounds like it was a beautiful tribute, nonetheless.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%