How Much Icing Under Fondant?

Decorating By KeltoKel Updated 11 Oct 2007 , 2:46am by crazy4sugar

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 8

I have tried doing a search for this, but cannot get the functions to work.

How much icing can I put under my fondant wedding cake? I have heard two different things - just a little bit of icing, and also the opposite - as much as you want.

Will too much icing make the fondant slide or come off?

Thanks!

7 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 8

I always ice the cake like I normally would if there was NO fondant and then put the fondant over top......I find some people like to remove the fondant and in that case they still have a piece of cake with a normal amount of frosting on it!

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 8

Personally I only put a thin layer of buttercream to cover the outside of a cake to make the fondant stick. When I am covering a wedding cake, I cover with a thin layer of fondant and smooth it over eliminating any lumps and bumps and then I cover it again with about a quarter inch thickness of fondant again. This helps me get a really good smooth finish on my cakes.

This pic is a birthday cake but it shows you the buttercream covering I use. thumbs_up.gif
http://www.flickr.com/photos/extra-icing/413923373/in/set-72157594575839118/

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 1:22am
post #4 of 8

HA! That's funny b/c I just got two different answers. I don't like the taste of fondant either and do like to push mine back so that I have plenty of icing for my cake. I think I will make sure I have plenty of icing in between my layers and do a medium coat on all my cakes. I would be interested in knowing what other people suggest....

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 1:41am
post #5 of 8

i've tried both ways.

the "just like normal w/ BC" always seems to bulge and then get the "droops" -- all the BC pushing down to the bottom and bulging out.

aine2's way of just a crumb coat avoids the bulge and the droops -- but you have to be sure that crumb coat is smooth.

I also tort all my cakes so there's 3 layers of BC inside which makes up for the lack of thick layer on outside.

mxdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxdiva Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 2:08am
post #6 of 8

Aine2 you are awesome! thanks for sharing.

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 2:36am
post #7 of 8

Great tip, a double layer of fondant! I never thought of that.

I'm with aine2, no more than a crumb coat thickness of icing works best for me. Any extra and it just gets mushed and pushed around and causes all kinds of problems for me. I have many customers who don't like a lot of icing anyway, so it works well for me!

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 2:46am
post #8 of 8

I've wondered about this, too, because my SMBC squoozes around under the fondant.

I think I'd like to try the method of using 3 generous layers of icing inside and less on top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%