If She Weren't Pregnant, I'd....(Vent)

Decorating By lecrn Updated 12 Oct 2007 , 4:19am by BrandisBaked

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 43

I got a call last wk from a new customer that said she need 2 cakes. One in 2 days & the other the next wk. I wanted to tell her that was too short notice, but I know that she has money & friends with money. She came & picked up the 1st cake without any problems.
The second cake, however, was a different story. I freeze my cakes & bc ahead of time to save time. So, I baked the cake on Sunday & froze. Today, I dethawed the cake & bc (the cake is due tomorrow). I layered & filled the cake with bc. I gave her a call about 5pm to ask when she wanted to pick up the cake. All I heard was a long pause, followed by "You haven't made it yet, have you?" I said "Yes. Why?" Well she forgot that HER SISTER'S bday was next wk & she doesn't need the cake until next wk. So, I asked her what she propose I do with the cake. She first offered to buy 2 cakes (this one & the one next wk). I told her that I really didn't have time to bake another cake next wk. She then asked if I could re-freeze the cake. I told her that it had already been froze & dethawed once, & I didn't know how it would taste. She said that she would take the chance, & if it tasted weird, it would be her fault. So, I agreed to refreeze the cake for next wk.
My questions are:
Do you think that the cake will still taste good if I freeze it & thaw it for next Wed? (crumb coated & filled with bc)
How would you have handled this situation?
Does pregnancy make you stupid or just really inconsiderate? icon_evil.gif
Thanks for your advice & letting me vent.

42 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 43

It should be okay

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 43

I think it will be OK too, just make sure you wrap it tightly with a few layers of plastic wrap and then when you thaw it, keep it wrapped so the condensation sticks to the plastic, not to the cake.

But you're OK to rant....I'd vent about it too!!! icon_lol.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 11:12pm
post #4 of 43

I did the same thing only baked and decorated the cake a week in advance, so it happens.The cake should be just fine!!!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightsByE

I think it will be OK too, just make sure you wrap it tightly with a few layers of plastic wrap and then when you thaw it, keep it wrapped so the condensation sticks to the plastic, not to the cake.

But you're OK to rant....I'd vent about it too!!! icon_lol.gif

Lord, was I ranting?
Thanks for your advice. icon_biggrin.gif

DiannaSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiannaSue Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 43

I have done this on more than one occassion and each time the cake was fine. What I did is I placed the cake in the freezer let it get frozen took it out and wrapped it real good with saran wrap, then I wrapped it real good in foil and I have never had any complaints yet. HTH.

tjgett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjgett Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 43

I understand why you'd be upset, I mean there are calendars for a reason. But speaking as a previously and currently pregnant person, pregnancy does make you stupid, no doubt about it! icon_lol.gif

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:17am
post #8 of 43

It'll be fine--- I agree with tjgett about the forgetfulness. I did some crazy things.... like a cart full of groceries and my purse sitting at home. I used to call it pregnancy brain icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:29am
post #9 of 43

In situations like this (and I've seen a few on here), I always ask: Why are YOU holding the cake until next week? She said she'd pick it up on such-n-such date. She needs to pick it up as scheduled. If she doesn't need it until next week, then SHE can store it in HER freezer.

She wouldn't get by with this at the local grocery bakery.

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:40am
post #10 of 43

Forgetting a date doesn't really qualify someone as stupid...we've all done it. Personally , I don't think she was inconsiderate at all. She offered to pay for her mistake, but since you didn't have time to make another cake, she will take the consequences on the current cake.

MimiFord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFord Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:53am
post #11 of 43

First - Did you have a signed contract or e mails to document dates for pick-up of the cakes and any follow-up for confirmation, etc.?

Second - Pregnancy is a condition, and not one that excuses one for lapse of memory, lack of judgment, etc. You are a professional and have a business - discuss it with her openly and honestly if it is bothering you.

Thirdly - Since the cake is crumb coated and filled only, I wouldn't worry about it - it should freeze and unthaw again well. However, if you didn't have a contract or anything in writing before, I'd get it now to cover yourself in the event she decides to complain later about the taste or whatever.

If the cake was completely decorated and ready to go, I would have made her take the cake and pay for it if you had the documented proof as this was the agreed upon date/time for the pick-up of the cake; otherwise, it's your word against hers, and you would just have to find some other way to either sell or give away the cake, and then make her another one for her previously agreed upon date/time.

JMO - this is what I would do if it were me.

elvis Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 1:39am
post #12 of 43

I think whipping out a contract is over the top. She made a mistake. If you don't have the freezer space, I'm sure she would come and get it. I could understand the great frustration if it was a wedding cake...but, its not.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 1:54am
post #13 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis

I think whipping out a contract is over the top. She made a mistake. If you don't have the freezer space, I'm sure she would come and get it. I could understand the great frustration if it was a wedding cake...but, its not.

The size of the cake has nothing to do with it. If you're going to run this as a business, then you run it as a business. Just because walmart has the freezer space, doens't mean they will hold the cake for you for a whole week because you changed your mind or misread your calendar.

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 2:40am
post #14 of 43

Ok, I can see both sides of this one, but We as bakers and decorators that are in constant competition with the box stores. If we can offer a customer service above and beyond what Walmart can do for our customers, then I say go for it.

On the other hand, it was her mistake.

I would hold it, no problem.

MimiFord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFord Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 3:05am
post #15 of 43
Quote:

I have to respectfully disagree with the contract issue. How many times have we all been interrupted in the course of our day for whatever reason to take a phone call about an appointment, hang up the phone, and have that sometimes immediate brain fart and forget "was it this or that day or this or that time?" I know I've done that plenty of times myself.

I'm not saying anyone was in the wrong in this instance (and IMO - without a contract, you can't establish that), I just feel a contract with the details in order is applicable at all times, even if it is for a 1/2 dozen cupcakes. You never know when you are going to need to cover your butt. Business is business and time is money. This is a contract world, simple as that.

Off the original topic anyway - didn't mean to hostage the thread. The issue has been resolved with the poster and her customer. This is all something we can learn from.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 5:40am
post #16 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

Does pregnancy make you stupid or just really inconsiderate? icon_evil.gif
Thanks for your advice & letting me vent.

My answer would be stupid since I resemble that statement! icon_razz.gif I can't go anywhere without my planner right now because I am extremely forgetfull and scatter-brained right now.

Seriously though, it doesn't excuse the fact she ordered a cake on the the wrong day. I personally would have paid for the cake and eaten it, but that's just me!

I agree that she should have picked up the cake and stored it herself. Your just adding stress to your life by keeping it for her.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 11:00am
post #17 of 43

I must also vouch for preggo's being a little distracted icon_lol.gif My sister is due any day now and I'm her coach and a nervous wreck since I have a HUGE cake order due Saturday (don't ask me why I took the order...YIKES)!!!!

Anywho...must agree with indydebi on this one. She needs to p/u the cake when originally sheduled and store it herself....I'm a business....and maybe would have worded it like "It shouldn't be a problem to refreeze it! I'll wrap it up nice n' tight for you to place in your freezer...now when did you say you would be by to get it?"

Also agreeing with mimiford....we can all learn something from this! thumbs_up.gif

elvis Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:07pm
post #18 of 43

If I'm understanding correctly, lecrn hadn't finished the cake yet-- just crumb coated & filled. The main question was if the freezer would mess up the flavor.

I guess I'm in the minority on being flexible. But I agree that if its cramping your style, you have every right to ask her to pick it up--just tell her you need the space. You can't be angry w/her for not picking it up if you don't ask...

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:28pm
post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

In situations like this (and I've seen a few on here), I always ask: Why are YOU holding the cake until next week? She said she'd pick it up on such-n-such date. She needs to pick it up as scheduled. If she doesn't need it until next week, then SHE can store it in HER freezer.

She wouldn't get by with this at the local grocery bakery.

here I can answer this one....because the customer rescheduled the date....the cake when the date was rescheduled wasnt even complete.....so whats the problem?? she wants the order....then I guess she'll put the cake whereever need be until the new scheduled pick up date icon_wink.gif

and actually at a local grocery store i bet the call would go more like this...

"Id like to cancel my order...thanks...bye".....and Id even bet the next week when the cake was needed it would be reordered thumbs_up.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:47pm
post #20 of 43

I know you are mad, and I would be too, but she didn't sound at all mean or snotty. I think she was just flustered. It would have really annoyed me too, but just stick it in the freezer and it should be fine. Give her a break on this one, she sounds like a nice person because she really didn't seem to mind that the cake was frozen.
I think they call it pregnancy brain. It makes you loopy and forgetful. Yet another wonderful side effect!

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:51pm
post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry0121

If we can offer a customer service above and beyond what Walmart can do for our customers, then I say go for it.

I like this response. In this instance, it wasn't a big deal to hold the cake a week. And it's this kind of service that keeps customers coming back to *you* and staying away from WalMart, etc. Do what you can for your customers, but don't be a doormat, ya know?

now if i had ordered the cake a week early, I'd have gone ahead and given it to my sister early and celebrated early!

cambo Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:56pm
post #22 of 43
Quote:

If I'm understanding correctly, lecrn hadn't finished the cake yet-- just crumb coated & filled. The main question was if the freezer would mess up the flavor.

I guess I'm in the minority on being flexible. But I agree that if its cramping your style, you have every right to ask her to pick it up--just tell her you need the space. You can't be angry w/her for not picking it up if you don't ask...

I didn't pay enough attn to realize the cake wasn't finished yet! Regardless, I would still finish it and have her p/u the cake as originally intended. I don't think anyone is upset or angry at her...it happens from time-to-time! Also, I think the issue of "will it mess up the flavor" was already addressed and the answer was "no, it will be fine".

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:57pm
post #23 of 43

I would just like to say that just because a person is pregnant, it does not make them stupid or inconsiderate, so please don't label pregnant women as such. I am pregnant, having my baby in the morning, in fact. I have not had any problems with my IQ decreasing, nor have I miraculously become ill-mannered. I have found that people make mistakes, all people. That is what this woman has done. Perhaps she was a bit inconsiderate, but at least she is paying for her mistake. A lot of people would not even have the character to offer that. I would ask that you just smile and know that you are offering a kindness to someone else by being flexible in the situation. (But hey, it is okay to vent the steam! icon_wink.gif )

cambo Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:59pm
post #24 of 43

Oh, and also....I might consider refreezing/holding it for her IF my schedule/space would permit, but I do too many cakes weekly to hold onto cakes for folks!

cambo Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 1:01pm
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambuf

I would just like to say that just because a person is pregnant, it does not make them stupid or inconsiderate, so please don't label pregnant women as such. I am pregnant, having my baby in the morning, in fact. I have not had any problems with my IQ decreasing, nor have I miraculously become ill-mannered. I have found that people make mistakes, all people. That is what this woman has done. Perhaps she was a bit inconsiderate, but at least she is paying for her mistake. A lot of people would not even have the character to offer that. I would ask that you just smile and know that you are offering a kindness to someone else by being flexible in the situation. (But hey, it is okay to vent the steam! icon_wink.gif )

I think this was just a "playful" statement....not meant to offend anyone who is pregnant! Also, early congrats to you!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 1:13pm
post #26 of 43

I think the cake will be just fine. If you have the freezer space, and your freezer isn't stinky icon_smile.gif, this will just help out your potentially loyal customer. I know it's frustrating dealing with some people pregnant or not, but I think the cake may taste especially good--there's something about freezing cakes with the BC filling in it that just seems to spread the flavor throughout and it's so moist!! I guess I'm saying--look on the bright side and like strawberry said, go that extra mile--once again if time and space allows!!

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 1:21pm
post #27 of 43

Actually, she sounds like a fairly reasonable person compared to some customers! I'd save the cake for her with no problems. Well, except if she were my customer she'd be in big trouble since this time next week I'll be sitting on a plane headed for DisneyWorld!!!!

Otherwise I would have no problem going the extra mile and holding the cake for her. I believe in running my business as a business, but there's a reason I don't have a b&m shop. I want the luxury of being able to do things the big guys don't or won't do.

That includes personalized service for my customers and being able to drop it all and take off on vacation for me!

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 1:37pm
post #28 of 43

Ok, go ahead and hate me for this but there actually IS scientific evidence that a females brain actually decreases in size during pregnancy, and returns to it's normal size after birth. Being that I am on my third and am currently 20 weeks along, I can admit to some forgetfulness with everything else on my mind. Also, hormones can make you do so really stupid things, although I haven't ever been rude to anyone but my husband. icon_smile.gif I think if I were you, and you have no problems holding the cake, being that she could really reward you with business and her friends business, I would chart it down to someone being a little presumptious and hold the cake for her. Personally, she probably would have forgotten regardless of her medical condition, but who knows.

captrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
captrick Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 1:38pm
post #29 of 43

I have to agree with some of the others, customer service and going the extra mile is what keeps my business. And if it's not too much of a bother for you, I'd do it. Because I don't care how good a cake tastes...if I get crappy customer service, I don't come back.

There's a local bakery I can attest to that has wonderful cakes..I actually was inspired to start cake making because of thiers...but their customer service has bottomed out since they've grown...and I refuse to EVER go there again simply because their service leaves MUCH to be desired.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 1:45pm
post #30 of 43

I'm sure the cake will be fine.
Pregnancy doesn't make you stupid or inconsiderate, those are preexisting conditions.
I would have just offered to keep the cake until next week for her
I just think you have been having a bad day and this was the proverbial straw.
I actually think your customer was very reasonable, especially compared to some of the ones I've read about on here.
One of the things I think most of us pride ourselves on is going the extra mile for our customers. One of the things I do is I deliver all my cakes for no charge, Lots of times my customers write a bigger check and are very appreciative, actuallly the biggest reason I do this is because I want to make sure the cake gets there in one piece I've seen too many vehicles crammed and with kids, where are they going to put a cake? I want to know when people see my cake that it is not damaged, because that's my reputation.

Jibbies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%