No More Feeling Stupid Helping W/homework (Or Jeopardy!)

Lounge By CakeDiva73 Updated 16 Oct 2007 , 11:10pm by beachcakes

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:46am
post #1 of 8

Am I the only one who feels like a complete moron while trying to help my kids with their homework or simple Geography or History facts that I *should* know, but I don't? 5th grade math is like I always imagined AP Calc would be icon_lol.gif and I never realized how MANY of the states are in the middle!!

So I came across this site and am completely addicted:
http://www.studystack.com/Home.jsp

It's a learning site and they have digital flashcards on everything from beginner Spanish, Periodic Table of Elements, US History, Geography, Math - they have everything! I am a nut and always wished I could go back to school but with 4 little ones, it's a far off dream but playing with these are such fun. icon_smile.gif After only one day, I now know almost 48 of the elements, am brushing up on Spanish and World Capitols...... and it's totally free. I think people make a set of cards for whatever they need (because there is some random stuff to study law, medical school and real estate stuff) and then it's kept in the archives so anyone can use them.

So, I am probably a total nerd but I thought I might share since maybe some of you or your kids could use it - have fun! icon_razz.gif

(no laughing!! icon_lol.gif )

7 replies
CakeDiva73 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:49am
post #2 of 8

Oh, and in case there was any doubt I was a huge nerd icon_razz.gif , my friend comes over every couple days and we watch Jeopardy like it's going out of style. In true dork style, I shall study for several days and she won't know what hit her! icon_razz.gif

mitsel8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mitsel8 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 8

I love this site!
Thank you so much Cakediva!
My DD will get a lot of use out of this.

Monilynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monilynn Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 8

WOW TY SO MUCH !!!!!

Monica

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks so much for the site! When I help my DD with her 3rd grade homework sometimes I just feel completely stupid! I always thought I was a smart person. Back when I was in high school many years ago I was on the honor roll and graduated 10th in my class, but trying to help her with some of her homework just makes my head hurt. There are times that I have to have my DH help her because I just can't. He's very good at the math part. Being an engineer he kinda has to be. Thanks again for the site. It will definately help!

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:59am
post #6 of 8

Not a nerd or a dork-- a smart person who continues to want to learn things. What a great example for your kids!! I haven't gone to the site yet, but it sounds great.

CakeDiva73 Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 8

Well here is the funny part....I studied the periodic table of elements just for kicks since it was something I was NEVER able to learn or memorize in high school and just that day my 13 year old came home with a test he had gotten a C on.....quizing him on the very same thing.

So I punked him and told him I still remembered them from school - he of course, said "OMG - U R nutz' icon_lol.gif and I was forced to clean his clock! lol, after I was done, I showed him the site and he studied for a while so he could re-take the test.

To be honest, in school, I used to cheat icon_redface.gif off my best friend in history class. I admit it because it was a mistake and a dumb one that I am not proud of...particularly now, when I really could have used that knowledge.

I also told my kids about it so they understood the down-side of cheating - it's not just an easy way to a good grade - it's a sure-fire way to rob yourself of knowledge. Anyway, glad some of you could use it. icon_smile.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 11:10pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for posting! This is the first year I'm working PT to be home w/ DS after school for homework. He's in 5th - I swear we didnt' do some of this stuff until 8th grade - geometry, periodic table...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%