Confessions Of A Baker!!!!!!!

Decorating By Cakerer Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 12:45pm by christielee

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 1:35am
post #1 of 34

I feel so stupid stupid stupid. Am I the only person who thought the candy coating labeled ALMOND BARK was actually made from Almonds? I never read the entire package. It actually says 'Make Your Own' in small print with ALMOND BARK in bold print...I always assumed that it was made with almonds so I never bought it because many of my friends have nut allergies! DUHUH! It's cheaper than candy melts - so it is basically the same thing?

33 replies
adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 1:38am
post #2 of 34

Me too....I never heard of it before a couple of months ago. I think I know what happenend...the people who label it are stupid.....can't be us, right? icon_lol.gif

marybible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marybible Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 34

I have to say the label is misleading. But it is pretty much the same thing. I have covered strawberries with it and it tastes great.

CakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBaker Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 34

I use Guittard's dipping chocolate. Once you try them, you won't go back to candy melts or almond bark: http://www.chocosphere.com/Html/Products/guittard.html#apeels

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 34

It produces the same quality product for candy making and coating as the candy melts. I tried using it for a modeling chocolate recipe, substituting the chocolate coating (tried the white too) for the candy melts and I didn't get the results I expected. It was my only time trying to make modeling chocolate (have never made again) but after comparing the ingredients of the two there are definite differences. Results may very depending of the usage. For coatings or candies (where you don't want the expense of real chocolate) it is a very cost effective alternative!

missym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missym Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 34

Ok, now I'm confused. What is almond bark and can you buy it at Wal Mart?

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeBaker

I use Guittard's dipping chocolate. Once you try them, you won't go back to candy melts or almond bark: http://www.chocosphere.com/Html/Products/guittard.html#apeels

It says that they aren't certified kosher... doesn't that mean they don't recommend using it for when you're going to consume/eat the item?

CakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBaker Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 34

"not Kosher" only means that the production process wasn't supervised by a Jewish rabbi and Jewish folks wanting to "stay Kosher" hadn't ought to eat 'em

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:14pm
post #9 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by missym

..and can you buy it at Wal Mart?

LOL! icon_lol.gif I wanna know, too...

OhMyGoodies Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:17pm
post #10 of 34

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up for me icon_smile.gif I never really understood what it meant... guess it showed in my response lol. icon_wink.gif

abreiasmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abreiasmommy Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:24pm
post #11 of 34

yes you should be able to buy almond bark at wal-mart

mom2c-m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2c-m Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:26pm
post #12 of 34
Quote:

Absolutely! It's down the baking aisle. It comes in white and chocolate.

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:26pm
post #13 of 34

yep, you can buy it at walmart. there's a big display up right now in the middle of the aisle for holiday baking etc. there's probably some on there. or just in the regular baking aisle.

JulieBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBee Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:28pm
post #14 of 34

Yes, I buy them at WalMart.

Julie

JulieBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBee Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:28pm
post #15 of 34

Yes, I buy it at WalMart.

Julie

valerieInga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerieInga Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:34pm
post #16 of 34

I guess things are different here in Canada. When I first say postings that said to use almond bark I couldn't understand how it was done because to me almond bark is melted chocolate with almonds stirred in then rehardened?cooled. Then you smash it to break it up, and eat. I use some chocolate "buttons" that look like the candy melts that I buy in bulk from Safeway (grocery store). They have white, milk and dark chocolate and actually taste better than the candy melts. I haven't read the ingredients on the cm's but since it says candy I thought they aren't real chocolate but a choc. flavored candy.

diamondjacks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondjacks Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:44pm
post #17 of 34

Only the really rare things you can't buy at Walmart just have to look sometimes!

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:46pm
post #18 of 34

i cant find them at my walmart. does everyone have a super walmart or a regular one that buys them there? I haev a regular one, with a small baking isle. Baking on one side, jello, marshellows, pudding and such ont he other side of the isle. Anyone?

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:50pm
post #19 of 34

even the "regular" walmart should carry them in the "holiday section" ... this is wherever or whenever they decide to have a "holiday section" ... it's usually with the sweeten condensed milk ... or with the "holiday" food. A grocery store should carry it more regularly, and a walmart supercenter will always have it.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:55pm
post #20 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2c-m

Quote:

Absolutely! It's down the baking aisle. It comes in white and chocolate.

I have also seen strawberry and butterscotch around the holidays. I add some chocolate chips to the chocolate almond bark and it gives it a better flavor but I always use the almond bark to do my peanut clusters and everyone raves about how good they are. They're so darn simple to make that I hate to even tell them how I do it. icon_lol.gif

Diane

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 3:05pm
post #21 of 34

Almond Bark (also known as vanilla flavored candy coating) is an artificial chocolate made with vegetable fats instead of cocoa butter and with coloring and flavors added. It can be found in 1.5 pound packages, in blocks, or in round discs where candy supplies are sold.

The term is also applied to a type of candy consisting of sheets or chunks of semisweet or milk chocolate to which almonds or almond pieces have been added.

Finally found a definition for it in the Wikepedia.

Diane

OhMyGoodies Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 5:15pm
post #22 of 34

You can also find it in MOST grocery stores in the baking aisle near the other chocolate like Baker's.... lol

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 11:08pm
post #23 of 34

Be sure that you try out the Almond Bark before you embark on a large project. I tried them out on some choc. transfers, & didn't like the results. Maybe I got a bad batch?

missym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missym Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 1:29am
post #24 of 34

This is such great information. I just never heard of almond bark. I can't wait to try.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 1:39am
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerieInga

I guess things are different here in Canada. When I first say postings that said to use almond bark I couldn't understand how it was done because to me almond bark is melted chocolate with almonds stirred in then rehardened?cooled. Then you smash it to break it up, and eat.

That's what I thought it was, too, and I'm in the middle of Indiana!

PricklyPearCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PricklyPearCakes Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 1:45am
post #26 of 34

yes you can buy almond bark at wal mart. I work at a catering place and we use it all the time for chocolate dipped strawberries, bon bons, chocolate fountains, I have even used it in the place of candy melts in a white chocolate cheesecake recipe. It works really well. It is not as expensive as candy melts too!

fabbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabbo Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 1:50am
post #27 of 34

I've got it at super Walmart and at my local Aldi's. I didn't have too much luck with chocolate transfers either. It's been fine for dipping.

ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 1:50am
post #28 of 34

I use it often, as well. I like dipping pretzels in it and then adding sprinkles or other toppings.

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 3:03am
post #29 of 34

It does have a good flavor, but even compared to good coating, it's not even close to real chocolate. It's fine for dipping pretzels and making clusters, but I wouldn't recommend trying it in molds, etc. It has a lot more "filler" fats in it, which is why it's so much cheaper than real chocolate or coating. It has it's place but it's not for everything! -Lori

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 5:07am
post #30 of 34

ok i must be a real moron (which is possible,e specially with my schedule lately) but i have looked and looked and jsut dont see this. Would someone be so kind as to let me know the kind of packaging to look for. is it a bag liek the wilton melts or is it a box???? icon_sad.gif im really slow today..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%