Has This Ever Happened To You?

Decorating By rosita6882 Updated 14 Dec 2006 , 5:17am by ang_ty95

rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 8

I was mortified when i took the cake out of the pan to find what looked like an egg comming out of the bottom, now top of my cake. The mixer didn't mix the eggs right in the batter so when it baked it baked the egg whites in one spot of the cake. I pulled at it to see what it was and ended up pullin a whole corner off. Luckly the cake was for my sis for her school and i just trimmed it to look slanted and wrot happy birthday on that part and put choc strawberries on the top.

7 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 8

I've never heard of that before. What kind of mixer do you have? Also, do you use a spatula in between using the mixer? I can't think of anything else, but I'm sure you'll get a lot more helpful suggestions from the experts here.

rosita6882 Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 8

I have a cooks pro stand mixer with 700 watts and this has never happend to me before, at least not that i know of icon_eek.gif . And it let it mix for 5 min. on med speed and when pouring it into the pan i didn't notice anything. Maybe it was the egg? Maybe too tought to incorporate? And now i'm wondering how the cake tasted without the egg? Oh well.. I'll find out soon enough.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 8

sometimes the beaters don't reach all the way down to the bottom of your mixing bowl.

Make it a habit to turn off your mixer mid mix and scrape down your batter.

This little trick will make sure that you catch all the little things that didn't incorporate into your batter well.

rosita6882 Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 8

I usually do but i thought since i let it mix a little longer than the box called for and i did use a spatula after mixing to just go over it that it would be fine. I guess thats why this has never happend to me before. Lesson learned. I guess after five years of doing this i'm starting to slack off. And also i have four kids that are tugging at me the whole time. Well, I'm going to make sure this never happens to me again. Thanks

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 8

I always mix my eggs and oil and some liquid together before I add any dry ingredients, that way I'm sure the eggs are mixed well. Janice

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 8

My husband recently questioned me as to why I don't beat the eggs before adding them to my mixing bowl and I said there wasn't any need. Hmmm.....maybe he's on to something. Although I've never had a problem. I always scrape the bowl with a spatula at least twice during a mixing.

ang_ty95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ang_ty95 Posted 14 Dec 2006 , 5:17am
post #8 of 8

I never heard of this and am sorry it happened to you but in my home country we always beat the eggs separately and our cakes always came out perfect. But now that I'm in Canada for over 30 years I've been taught to just add the eggs one by one and I still get the same results. I guess both methods will work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%