Anyone Ever Trade Cake For Haircuts?

Decorating By ctackett Updated 9 Oct 2007 , 6:41pm by SweetResults

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 21

I have a girl getting married next year. Her budget is 800.00. I told her I would do her wedding cake if she would give me a few haircuts. She is a licensed hairdresser. Has anyone else done this?

20 replies
pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 21

I don't see why not? As long as you know her well and put it down on paper or make up some hair cutting gift certificates, go for it.

katro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katro Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 21

I have never traded cakes but I have a friend that does hair and sometimes need help with her kids so I watch her kids for her and she cuts my families hair. I think it is a good trade for me. You just have to decide if the service you are providing is worth the service you will be receiving. It can work as long as you both are agree that you will do this much (spell out what you are willing to do for free) and she will style your hair with out charge including all products (like color ect) for so many times. good luck

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 21

My first thought was think about the price of a custom cake compared to a few haircuts. Make sure you are not selling yourself short. If she's a friend, I could see donating some of your time, but make sure the trade is fair so there are no hard feelings later on after all that work is done on the cake.

onegr8girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onegr8girl Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 21

I think this is actually pretty simple. You determine what you *would* charge for the cake and she knows what she charges for the haircut. Then you make an even split. When I get married, I'll be working a lot of trades with people for cakes in the future.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 21

Yes, I traded a graduation cake for haircuts. The cake was $180. Haircuts are $28. We're keeping track.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 21

I have alot of friends who are self employed and trade services all the time.....for instance once is a hairdresser and the other a massage therapist so they trade haircuts for massages. She even traded massages for legal stuff and household repairs.

I rather like the idea of trading services with people. Providing each side feels they are getting a fair deal, it's a great way to get 'stuff' you can't do yourself but can basically work off instead of writing a check!

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 21

Keep in mind that by law barters are to be reported on your income tax.

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:21pm
post #9 of 21

I LOVE the Barter System!! As long as everyone keeps track, I think it's a great way to give and recieve while using your skills rather than cash.
I really like the idea of using the certificates. They can be picked up anywhere. She could get them at the beauty supply store or you can get them at an office supply store.
Unfortunately, I am the one with all of the skills. I do hair, landscaping, cakes, bartend...and a bunch of other stuff that is too long to list. So, I rarely get to barter anything. icon_sad.gif
I say go for it!

Peeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeg Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:21pm
post #10 of 21

Hey, I am a hair stylist and decorating on the side. Most of my clients are ancient and sweet (30yr. clients). They would pass on before the cake is paid for icon_lol.gif I think it is a great idea to repay not only in cash but some kind of services.

toneg24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toneg24 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:24pm
post #11 of 21

This is funny, I had a cake a few months back and I traded for a haircut and color, it worked out perfect. Just negotiate price or worth first and go from there. Trading is awesome!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:39pm
post #12 of 21

Get your haircuts BEFORE the cake is done (payment in advance)...

Not just because it's the standard cake policy... but God forbid she's not happy with the cake. What will your hair look like?!? icon_wink.gif

cakesbycombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycombs Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:59pm
post #13 of 21

i trade cake for eveything! family pictures, new website design, house painting! you name it! if someone has a service to offer and they will accept cake as payment... you bet yer butt i trade!

2kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2kiddos Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 5:10pm
post #14 of 21

Gotta love trades!
I am in the processing of trading for FREE advetisment in New Orlean's Big Easy magazine!

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 5:12pm
post #15 of 21

All the time! I love it!!!!

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 5:13pm
post #16 of 21

All the time! I love it!!!! Since it's for such a large amount, I would definitely want to get it in writing and I think the idea of gift certificates is a great idea. With no expiratin date, of course!!

DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 5:26pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by handymama

Keep in mind that by law barters are to be reported on your income tax.

Just curious, how would they expect us to do this?

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 5:34pm
post #18 of 21

I'm outta luck on this one as I am also a hairstylist....Although the 16 year old girl that cleans my house wants to do a barter if she ever needs a cake or her hair done/products
Sure why not!!!

As long as everyone pulls their end of the bargain,it's all good!

Nancy

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 5:38pm
post #19 of 21

I trade out with my hair stylist all the time...she gets a cake, and I get my hair done...she already owes me for a perm I'm going to get around November on our last cake deal...

I love trading my cakes for services and other goody's icon_smile.gif

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 6:21pm
post #20 of 21

Thanks for the imput!! I did think about the gift certificate thing. I've known this little girl for quite sometime. She dated my son for two years. She is still like one of the family. Unfortunately (for us) my son is not the groom ( Iwouldnt marry him either!!)

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 6:41pm
post #21 of 21

Sure! I traded some plumbing work for a few birthday cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%