Course 3 ?

Decorating By Peeg Updated 9 Oct 2007 , 3:37pm by loriana

Peeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeg Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 9

OK all CC members, I need your input!!!! Tonight I start course 3 (Wilton). I was wondering if it is worth the effort? I have never worked with fondant just buttercream. I figure I have to start somewhere. I love the look of fondant. I think I need some basics, what do all of you think that has had the course???? I will greatfully take your advice!! icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif Peggy

8 replies
stargrazer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stargrazer Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 9

Hi there-
I took Wilton 1,2 & 3 and felt I learned something good from each one. I like working with fondant and don't regret taking the course. It wasn't cheap (I bought the wilton pre-made fondant and supplies) but I came out with a breathtaking wedding cake at the end, great for my portfolio and MUCH needed experience.

I will say though that I also signed up for the Fondant & Gumpaste class (seperate specialty class) thru wilton right after I finished the third class and felt it was almost a repeat with the exception of some flowers (carnations, fantasy flowers, etc). I'd say if you want to work with fondant, either one would be fine but I don't think both are necessary.

Good luck and Happy Caking!
~~~~~

renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 9

I took the wilton course 3 and really learned alot. I had never worked with fondant before so I thought that it was a good experience. I would definitley recommend it.

Karate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karate Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 9

I agree, course 3 is a great place to start working with fondant. I was not impressed with the Fondant and Gum paste class, it was mostly a repeat and the new flowers that were taught were not worth the money paid for the course or the time used. You can learn the fondant swag right here.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 9

I agree, course 3 was great, I loved the roses we made in class, for me it was worth it for that reason alone. HTH.

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 9

Hi Peeg,

I took 1-3 and learned something good on all three courses as well. The last course, specifically some good flower techniques which I use to this day.

Course 4 is a waste of time however.

Oh, and if you are new to fondant: I would suggest not trying to eat Wilton fondant. It is awful. Really. However the marshmallow fondant (referred to around here as MMF) is very very good and pretty easy to make. The recipe is in the recipes area up here. Also Earlene's website has a picture step by step of making it I believe-don't worry it's pretty easy and a lot less expensive too!

If you take your course 3, make a batch of MMF to practice with in class and it will put you a step ahead of the game, instead of practicing with the Wilton fondant, which you wouldnt buy anyway to make for your worst enemie's cake icon_lol.gif

Hope this helps.

Loriana (Lisa)

prettysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettysweet Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:30pm
post #7 of 9

I took courses 2 and 3, enjoyed both and learned a great deal in both. I started the fondant class and was only able to attend 2 sessions and then had to quit due to a family medical emergency. Those two sessions focused timewise more on the use of fondant taught in 3 but not alot of new techniques. I don't regret going at all and wish I had been able to finish the last two sessions.
I would suggest you take course 3 and buy the fondant book used in the fondant course.( I've seen the book sold separately at A.C. Moore's but not at Michael's). Then you can decide if you need more practice with fondant and then take the class for more hands on experience.
Enjoy!!!

Candes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candes Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:34pm
post #8 of 9

Ooo this post is timely. I start Course 3 tomorrow night. I plan on making MMF for the class I want to start off on the right fondant. It's really good to know that the last class isn't worth taking.

Thanks a bunch!

May be my settings are incorrect but the date stamp on all these post tell me it's tomorrow already (Wed the 10th) icon_confused.gif

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:37pm
post #9 of 9

Candes: Hope you enjoy it! I liked the comraderie of Course 3, now that everyone has the basics down. You didnt have to hear a lot of "how to I level a cake?" and get to hear more of "how do you do a hibiscus?"

Anyway, have a good time and hope you enjoy your MMF! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%