Chocolate Transfer??

Decorating By luv2cake Updated 4 Aug 2005 , 6:22pm by luv2cake

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 16

Hello all!

I have only attempted to do a FBCT once, and wasn't completely happy with it. I understand the concept, but I need more practice. In my search for more tips and pictures of FBCTs, I found something called a "chocolate transfer." Is this done basically in the same way as a FBCT only with chocolate?

Can I use waxed paper, outline my picture with dk. chocolate in a piping bag? Then fill it in with colored chocolate (maybe with a paintbrush??) and then go over it all with more chocolate? Freeze for a few minutes and then apply to the cake?

Will the Wilton colors work with the chocolate? I don't want to ruin a perfectly good bag of candy melts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Brandi

15 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 16

I've used several Chocolate Transferrs. They are very easy to make and tasty! There is also a Sponge Bob CT in my pics that my then 8 yr old son made for a contest. Just outline your pic and fill in! It's that easy. We used the already colored chocolate wafers/candy melts. You can use Wilton candy colors but I don't know about the icing colors. Don't use anything liquid or the chocolate will seize up.

Good Luck!
Debbie

tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 16

So glad you made this post. I've been wanting to know as well. Do you use the candy melts and the color with color gel paste? I've read the tutorial by calidawn but still didn't 100% get it. Sooooo...Can anyone give any better advice?

luv2cake Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 16

I didn't even know there was a tutorial. I will have to check it out!

thecakemaker Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 16

"They" make candy colors for tinting chocolate or you can just use the already colored candy melts. CTs are easy. You don't have to worry about the "worm effect" you can get with the BCT because the chocolate flows in as long as it is melted.

Debbie

luv2cake Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 16

Great! That's what I am looking for. I have a particuliar picture in mind that has several colors and even some shading. Hopefully I can find the right colors so that I can achieve a realistic picture.

I did some searching and I guess Wilton makes candy colors that are oil based. That's what I need to get.

Thanks for you help! I am excited about this "new" techinque. (New to me anyway!)

Brandi

thecakemaker Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 3:09pm
post #7 of 16

Can't wait to see the pics!

tcrema Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 16

well that stinks for me! I can only get the brown or white candy melts here and there are no candy colors here. All I can get and barely are the wilton colors and the white and brown melts!

thecakemaker Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 3:36pm
post #9 of 16

Can you order on line?

Deb

tcrema Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 5:09pm
post #10 of 16

I can but it's pointless by the time I want to get them. I'm supposed to be going to the states in about a month and my in-laws live in Il right by the Wilton Distribution Center so YIPPEE FOR ME

thecakemaker Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 5:17pm
post #11 of 16

I wonder if there's a way to paint chocolates?

Deb

luv2cake Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 5:39pm
post #12 of 16

I went to the CC photo gallery and looked for a picture of a "Bratz" cake for a potential customer. I found one on there that used a chocolate transfer. She said that she painted it, that way she could add shading to the skin and hair. It looked really great.

I just got back from the craft store. I bought some white candy melts and 8 oil based candy colors. I am going to start experimenting this afternoon. I also bought some craft brushes so that I try her technique.

Hope it works!

thecakemaker Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 5:41pm
post #13 of 16

So - she painted it with the oil based candy colors?

Debbie

luv2cake Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 6:09pm
post #14 of 16

Actually she painted it with white chocolate colored with the oil based colors. She said she mixed the colors herself.
Here is the link to the picture that I am talking about. You can also read all the commentary about it under the picture. That's where she sort of describes her technique.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=search&type=full&cat=0&pos=0

It looks GREAT!

thecakemaker Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 6:15pm
post #15 of 16

Great! Thanks!

Debbie

luv2cake Posted 4 Aug 2005 , 6:22pm
post #16 of 16

No problem. If you have any ideas, please let me know what you think. Since I have never done this before, I am open to any thoughts!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%