Wilton Gumpaste Flower Making Set - No Good?

Decorating By Sugar Updated 10 Aug 2005 , 1:57am by southernbelle

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 7 Aug 2005 , 7:21pm
post #31 of 36

I'm with you on that TamiAZ ... I'm a visual person .. once I see it done, I usually can do it with no problems or with a little practice ... I'll have to check into Nicholas Lodge's DVD ... and I also agree w/the Wilton gumpaste book.. it doesn't give clear, understandable instructions ...

MrsMissey, thanks for the info on the 2 side leave veiner.. there are so many veiners, etc., out there that I get overwhelmed and just don't know what to order because I'm not familiar enough with it all to know exactly what I need to buy .. I'll see something in the gumpaste/fondant tools that looks really good, but then I'll think about it and talk myself out of buying it and it's all lack of knowledge about what I'd use it for or how to use it .. that's why this place is so great icon_smile.gif people with experience that has tried things and make post about them sure helps me alot!! icon_smile.gif

Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 12:43pm
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiAZ

I hate Wilton's gumpaste.. thumbsdown.gif

You're the second person who I've heard that from. However I couldn't find the powder that Nicolas Lodges recipe called for and I wanted to experiment this weekend. I'm going to practice a bit more, but from what I've spent already I'm not doing videos any time soon! icon_rolleyes.gif

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 6:37pm
post #33 of 36

I bought the kit to do gumpaste flowers over a year ago and have not actually done it because, I am also a visual learner. I knew there had to be video's out there SOMEWHERE on how to do these things. Thanks TamiAZ for posting that information! I will have to see if I can find it. Then I'll just need a few kid-free hours to practice!

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 11:12pm
post #34 of 36

I'd get the Wilton set, but I'd use the Nick Lodge gumpaste instead. Much nicer to wort with!

-Alysa

Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 9 Aug 2005 , 12:52pm
post #35 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKS

I'd get the Wilton set, but I'd use the Nick Lodge gumpaste instead. Much nicer to wort with!

-Alysa

Thanks so much Alysa. Do I purchase the stuff he has pre-made, or can I just use his recipe he's got on his website? I think they are the same thing.

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 1:57am
post #36 of 36

Glad to hear all of this about the Wilton cutter set and book. I too just purchased the set. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet. From looking at the instruction book it looked pretty easy to understand.

Can anyone out there recommend any other books on gumpaste????

Speaking of Hobby Lobby, I ran accross one of those 50% off sales quite some time ago. I too went hog wild. They don't advertise those sales, I just happened to walk in on it icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%