How To Do A "slice" Cake?

Decorating By 2yummy Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 6:06pm by 2yummy

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 17

I am doing a couple of "slice" cakes this month. I am wondering what the best way to go about it would be. I was thinking to cover it in fondant first then cut the slice out and cover up the rest of the places that need to be covered.

Has anyone done on before? Do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks!!

16 replies
cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 17

I have never done one but I would think it would be better to cut the slice out first then covor the whole thing. Less risk of messing up the decorations.

Mimi22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimi22 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:27am
post #3 of 17

I have done a slice cake and it was pretty easy. I baked a 10in cake and cut the slice after I stacked the three layers togerther with filling. I then crumb coated and covered in fondant. I covered the two sides in white fondant and then covered the top and back of the cake with chocolate fondant, so it looked like a white cake with chocolate icing.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:38am
post #4 of 17

Hi Mimi22: did you have one in your pix? I saw a slice cake the other day --can't remember who it was -- they had stacked it. So all three tiers each had a slice out of it. And then the top slice was laying down instead of 'propped' up. It was a beautiful cake.

thanks!

samcfi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samcfi Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:57am
post #5 of 17

I have one in my pics. I just used buttercream. I cut the slice out first, then iced.

GI Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 4:58am
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcfi

I have one in my pics. I just used buttercream. I cut the slice out first, then iced.

I saw it! Devine! And I love the way you did your swirls touching each other in the icing. Lovely, just lovely. So tell me, did you use "yellow" BC for the yellow part of the 'cake' to indicate a yellow cake? I like that idea alot. Is that a 10" with the slice cut out?

And did you use a filling and then cover it with the pink "frosting" in the middle to indicate the frosted part?

edited to add: And if you did cover it with pink line of "frosting" -- it looks great!! And very Straight!! icon_wink.gif

2yummy Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 17

Mimi, so you cut the slice out first then iced and covered in fondant. I feel better since you said it was easy. I think I may try it that way instead of covering the whole thing in fondant then cutting the piece out

Samcfi, your slice cake is really pretty.

samcfi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samcfi Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 5:42pm
post #8 of 17

Yes, it's a 10" with the slice cut out. I just used my buttercream between the 2 layers. That is lt. yellow buttercream to make it look like yellow cake. I iced the cake (with piece removed) pink, then piped the pink where the slice was cut out. I went back with the yellow buttercream and filled in. Then comes the old "paper towel trick"!!! As far as the swirls go, I was trying to do something pretty, but had never done swirls. (Not sure if them touching is an okay thing or not)!!!

I'm a novice, so if I can do it, you can too!!!

2yummy Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 4:12am
post #9 of 17

Ok, I did it. I made my first "slice" cake. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I think it turned out not to bad for my first one. The "slice" that sits on top of the cake somehow came out a little lopsided. I'm not sure how that happened. I will post a pic tomorrow. Thanks to all who helped.

GI Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 4:17am
post #10 of 17

I'll be watching it to come thru! icon_biggrin.gif

2yummy Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:17am
post #11 of 17

ok, I finally uploaded a pic of the slice cake I did. It should be in my photos. The cake really wasn't that hard. I have another one to do tomorrow. Thanks for all of the previous help.

GI Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:07am
post #12 of 17

Oh, 2yummy, your slice cake came out really, really good!! I love little Strawberry Shortcake. What cute cakes. I think slice cakes really give it a festive appeal.

And yes, I agree, to have ShirleyW commenting on your cakes is really a highest honor thumbs_up.gif

Perhaps I'll try that design soon. Question that I don't think we've covered here: do you put a board underneath the slice? To hold it up?

2yummy Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:28am
post #13 of 17

Hi GI, thanks for the comments! Yes, I did put a board under the slice to support it. The board also makes it easier to handle when you ice it and cover it with fondant.

elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:37am
post #14 of 17

i did one. it's in my photos.

i covered the cake in fondant first and then with a sharp knife i very slowly cut the piece out and set aside. i the crumb coated the exposed sides and covered in fondant and put a simple fondant trim around the edges.

also, i did put the slice on a cut cake board and let it rest on three straws in the bottom cake. i also put a thin dowel through the whole thing to keep it from wobbling.

good luck!!

GI Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:45am
post #15 of 17

Hi elizw: I like your cake! I checked it out! Cool! I like your rounded-edging you did on the opening. Gives it definition and adds to the overall effect of the Slice.

Man, this really looks like a fun cake. Have any of you ever done a filling? Like a stiff filling such as the one used in wedding cakes here on CC? Melysa has a great rasberry filling recipe and I'm dying to try it.

This would give me the cake & design for the filling! icon_lol.gif

elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:45am
post #16 of 17

the filling in that cake is cookies and cream. its pretty firm! i have a raspberry filling that is basically just thawed frozen raspberries with sugar so its not very sturdy.

the cake was a lot of fun to do!!

be sure to post a picture when you are done!!!!

2yummy Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:06pm
post #17 of 17

elizw, I saw your cake when I was looking at the other slice cakes on cc. I really like it, I think I even saved it into my favorites.

I put a filling in both of the slice cakes I did. One had strawberry perserves and the other had just buttercream, I think. It worked out fine.

I ended up filling the cake then freezing it. Once frozen I cut out the slice, kept them frozen to crumb coat all sides in bc even the cut out piece. Then I covered the cut out area of the cake in fondant by measuring and cutting the fondant to size then placing it on. Once that was done I covered the cake in fondant and just cut out the extra. I hope that makes sense.

Then I did the same to the slice. First covered the sides, then layed a large piece of fondant over it and cut it to fit the slice. Then decorated.

I thought about doing what elizw did and cover the whole thing then cut out the slice. It seems like that would work to. But I liked the cake being frozen to cut and ice.

Good luck with yours, can't wait to see it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%