Need Halloween Ideas!

Decorating By dogwalkin Updated 10 Oct 2007 , 4:22am by dandelion56602

dogwalkin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwalkin Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 6

Every year our church does a trunk-or-treat. I always give out GOBS of candy. I think this year we are planning for like 3000 people to come through. It has really become a HUGE event. We have chili and this year will have hotdogs.

My thought is that I want to make something for Halloween. I kinda would really like to do cake balls, but don't really want to tackle that many of them. Anyone have any ideas?

TIA

Ashley

5 replies
melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 6

Wow, that would be a lot of cake balls, but it may be the easiest thing to do considering the sheer number you are looking at.

An easy halloween treat (and I say easy because there isn't a ton of decorating to do) is ghost brownies. Make brownies, cut them into squares, top with a large marshmallow and cover with warm frosting to make them look like ghosts. Put eyes on them and there you go.

Doing something for that many people is tough, I'm with trying to find something as simple as possible, good luck, wish I could give you a hand.

If you could jazz up cake balls with something halloween-ish, that may be a good idea. Roll in orange-colored coconut to make pumpkins?

Anyone have any ideas?

Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 6

Have you thought about you would serve cake balls once there? Would they really be that much easier to transport than cupcakes? I know cupcakes might be played out but they might also be easier for several reasons. Once baked, they're ready to decorate and out the door and there are many simple halloween decorating ideas for cupcakes that can be done with just a few different colored piping bags of icing. You can make the smaller ones so as to get a larger number of them at a time instead of fewer larger ones per pan. Not to mention they come in their own handy dandy wrapper! Just a thought.

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 6

I just saw in the Pillsbury Hallowe'en magazine a really cute and easy idea:

Top a pretzel rod with a marshmallow, then dip the marshmallow in melted chocolate to about an inch up the pretzel. Then you can easily decorate the marshmallow "head" - green chocolate for witches, orange for jack-o'lanterns, white for ghosts, etc.

They look great and are super easy to make, no baking required, and you could probably make a lot in a fairly short time.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with Zahrah, cupcakes might be the easiest. I made a tonne of cupcakes last year for 3 different events. (about 600) over a few days.
As long as you have the time and make them almost all the same it's pretty easy.

So unless you can start now on your cakeballs and you can freeze them those might work too.

Or you could do wafer covered marshmallow pumkins or ghosts or cats.

You can check out my pictures and also the TOTM October 07 for more ideas:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-542533-.html

Good Luck

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 4:22am
post #6 of 6

I've done the dipped marshmallows & they are pretty easy. Another thing I've seen, which melvin01 reminded me of, is baking brownies & using a cookie cutter to cut them! Wilton has all kinds of small & mini cookie cutters. And if you wanted you could warm up buttercream & pour over them. A bite size brownie would be good & you could get a lot out of one 13 x 9" pan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%