Fondant Too Soft For Cookies

Baking By heidihill Updated 13 Dec 2006 , 10:13am by BarbaraK

heidihill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidihill Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 9:01am
post #1 of 7

Hi. I've been trying to decorate cookies with fondant, as a practice for Christmas present cookies. I'm using store bought fondant (Orchard brand - only one avaliable in Australian supermarkets) and I'm finding that it's too soft and bendy. I roll the fondant out quite thin and when I try to move it onto the cookie it stretches all out of shape. It is summer here. I'm wondering if the heat is the problem here. I don't want to make the fondant any thicker, cos I want people to taste cookie too! I haven't made MMF yet (don't know if that would be less stretchy), because it is too much work and we don't have shortening anyway.

My question: I know you're not supposed to refrigerate fondant, because of the condensation, but if I put the cut out fondant in the freezer, will it stiffen up some in a short enough time not to get condensation? Has anyone tried this method?

Any other ideas would be helpful too.

6 replies
emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 12:43pm
post #2 of 7

You might try to mix in some confectioners sugar.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 7

add some gumtax/tylose.
I just had the exact thing happen to me. Refrigeration wont help, it will just make it sticky

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 11 Dec 2006 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 7

I am in TX--it is always hot--and I would try mmf. you only need a smathering of crisco and most of the time I dont even use it. It just seems to work. I think you might try to use some more sugar to thicken it up.

Goodluck--I love decorating cookies with fondant--to me soo easy, although I still like to do really detailed cookies with antonia's.

heidihill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidihill Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 5:21am
post #5 of 7

I will be doing the accents in royal icing.

I just made my first batch of Easy MMF last night, with no Crisco. I'm in Australia, we don't have it. I haven't had a chance to try it on cookies yet, but it does seem easier to work with - I modeled some things for a cake I'm doing.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give the MMF a try on the cookies.

carilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carilyn Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 5:44am
post #6 of 7

try cutting the fondant with of mmf thicker I use about the same thickness as my cookies. also I use a small metal spatula dipped in powdered sugar to lift the cutouts up and onto the cookie. It does take some practice each time I get you will get better. HTH icon_smile.gif

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 10:13am
post #7 of 7

Instead of lifting fondant onto the cookies,why dont you place the cookie on the fondant and when it is cooled and the fondant has stuck, you can flip the cookie back.

Also if you go to cake decorating stores, you can buy shortening. The store I go to calls it creamed shortening and I use that to make MMF and it works beautifully.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%