Cake Filling Needs To Be In Fridge.. But With Fondant

Decorating By mrstoponak Updated 6 Oct 2007 , 10:49pm by KoryAK

mrstoponak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrstoponak Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 8

I am doing a birthday for my best friend oct 21. The problem is that I need to drive this cake 3 hours!

I am going to make a PB & J cake. Its a peanut butter cake with grape jelly filling..

I need to keep the cake cold because of the filling... BUT...

I plan on covering the cake with fondant.

I put a fondant cake in the fridge a few weeks ago.. and it was so gross, wet and slimy.. thankgoodness it was just for family!

How do you make a cake with a filling that needs to be kept cold, covered in fondant??!?!?!!!

7 replies
missparker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missparker Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 8

i always put my mmf in the refrigerator. usually i stick it in front of a fan for a few minutes after i take it out to help with the sweating.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 8

first off, what is in your filling recipe?

secondly, if you need fondant that works great in the fridge and is even given the green light to do so by the manufacturer, you need satin ice fondant.

you can read about it here:

www.satinfinefoods.com

and a great place to buy it:

www.intotheoven.com

it has a very pleasant taste, smell and texture. in my experience, it chills very well and stays dry. just gradually adjust the temperature (dont take it from the fridge to a hot outdoor event within 5 minutes) .

mrstoponak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrstoponak Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 8

the filling is grape jelly.. you know, Smuckers jelly.

I just figured that it if has to stay in the fridge after you open it, the cake would have to stay in the fridge also.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 8

I agree--use Satin Ice. I've never left a fondant cake OUT of the fridge.

I always keep them in the fridge, and I've never had a single bit of condensation or any of the problems I've heard of with chilled fondant cakes...but I never use anything but S.I.

Grape jelly?? That might be something could be left out more than, say, a mousse filling...but if you're driving the cake any distance, I'd want it chilled to death anyway.

KathleenR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenR Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 8

I use jam and jelly fillings all of the time and have never had a problem with them being out of the fridge.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 8

Restuarants leave jelly's out for hours...

I always refrigerate my fondant cakes and I have used Wilton's nasty stuff (never again), MMF and Satin Ice.

You just have to take it out of the fridge a few hours early to give it time for the condensation to dry (a fan does help).

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 10:49pm
post #8 of 8

Your jar of jelly only says to go in the fridge cause they know you re gonna keep it for a year and stick 100 different and possibly contaminated knives into it. I use mine pretty fast for cakes (within a couple of months at the most for a big jar) and I keep it at room temp. Yes, I recommend chilling just for the distance of travel, but no, the filling doesn't necessitate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%