Bride Doesn't Know What She Wants!

Business By Danielle111 Updated 4 Oct 2007 , 8:43pm by Danielle111

Danielle111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle111 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 5

What is the general concensus among us cakers out there - I have a bride who has absolutely NO idea what she wants her cake to look like. The wedding is in a month and a half (she got engaged over 6 months ago), and she doesn't even have a color scheme. She knows she wants simple, but she can't define simple. I showed her a few white buttercream cakes with simple white designs (only around the bottom), but she said that looks too busy. Ok, no problem. Showed her a plain white buttercream cake with no decor other than a white ribbon around the base of each tier, and flowers on top. She said that's too plain, and she isn't going to have a florist, so no floral theme. (You guessed it... ...she didn't have the slightest idea what flowers she would want on the cake either.) I asked her to search the web for pictures of cakes she liked, and some of the ones she came back with were over the top busy even in my opinion, and some were just white buttercream, nothing else - not even a bottom border.
I'm all for simple weddings and not stressing about the details, but what is saving her stress is giving me a headache! What would you guys come up with for someone like this? I'm completely stumped!

4 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 5

A contour cake with Swiss dots and fondant pearls around the bottom border. Calla lily topper.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 5

Narrow it down by not giving her a lot of choices. Let her choose between only 2 things at a time. At any time she does the "I don't know/care" thing, then YOU decide by the phrase "OK, I recommend we go with blah blah blah, then. SOunds ok?"

Do you like round or square cakes?
Square. Good.
(If she can't decide, then "recommend" the shape you prefer to work with)
Do you like cakes touching (stacked) or do you like pillars between them?
All stacked. OK.
White icing or tinted icing?
Shell border or Big Dot (pearl) border? (I never recommend no-border).
No flowers? (or no flower decision?) "Then let me suggest the ribbon border with some pearl-dots on the sides as this is VERY popular with brides today."

You become the cake-expert and you walk her thru the process.

If she pulls the "I dont' know/care" on everything, then I offer my suggestion:

"Let's go with a popular square cake with a ribbon base; a few dots and scrolls on the sides of the tiers. All white cake with red raspberry filling ... that way you don't have to decide flavors right now. No pillars. Does that sound ok with you?"

Then write it up.

Hoover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hoover Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 5

I think chocolate dipped strawberries and sugar rolled grapes give it some color without the fussiness of flowers. JMHO

Danielle111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle111 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you guys for the great ideas! And thank you indydebi for such great advice! Honestly, if this were someone else's problem, I might have been able to come up with that, but since it's my own, I'm struggling. (Story of my life...) icon_lol.gif
Keep the ideas coming - they all sound great! CCers are awesome! After this post, I'm going to call her to set up a second consultation since we didn't get very far the first time... icon_redface.gif I'm going to follow your wise advice Indydebi!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%