Selling Cakes On Craigslist

Decorating By shooterstrigger Updated 5 Oct 2007 , 10:39pm by marthajo1

shooterstrigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
22 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 23

Not very professional. It may not even be a legal business.

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 23

I post on Craigs list all the time. I advise them that I'm a licensed by appt. bakery (which I am) and I post pics of certain cakes or cookies, advise them on what I can do and contact me if interested.
Never do I try to sell a cake that's already made??

I get at least 2 bookings a month from Craigs List.

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 23

All of my wedding cake customers have come from Craigslist and they've all been great. I don't think just because you post on Craigslist, you're unprofessional or your business is automatically illegal. It's just like the yellow pages really.

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 23

eeeeewwwwww!!!!!!!!! The cake is nice but give me a break, and how fresh can that cake be. I would believe it to be a scam. She is just trying to sell her cakes that way.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 23

I posted once on CL, and didn't like the response. Everybody there is looking for a bargain - and I'm not in the business of selling "bargain" cakes.

Someone from Vegas recently posted on my local CL that they will do cakes for free (customer pays only for supplies). When I read that, I felt sick. I know there was a thread posted about that type of thing several months ago, but seriously... if you're going to make cakes... CHARGE SOMETHING!!! And if you're not legal and can't charge, then advertising is simply going to bite you in the butt and invite all kinds of problems for you.

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 7:54pm
post #7 of 23

90% of my business comes from CL and no one tries to "bargain" with me. Out of the tons of feedback, I've probably had 2-3 people say it was more than they can afford; and belive me' I'm not shy with my prices. I'm a homebaker and CL has really saved me.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhopar33

90% of my business comes from CL and no one tries to "bargain" with me. Out of the tons of feedback, I've probably had 2-3 people say it was more than they can afford; and belive me' I'm not shy with my prices. I'm a homebaker and CL has really saved me.

So, how are you wording it being a home baker?...and how much info do you give out?? I'm thinking I might want to try out CL

Courtney

pamsdolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamsdolls Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 3:28am
post #9 of 23

I am interested also - I need lots of practice lol

thephotolady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thephotolady Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 3:36am
post #10 of 23

i dont see anything wrong with posting on craigs list. it is a free form of advertising and is perfectly legal.
cl is available for people to sell items. cakes are items.
why pay for advertising if you dont have to. this allows the baker to pass on some savings to the customer or have a higher profit margin.
good for them.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 3:40am
post #11 of 23

I do have to say that you really have to be careful! I haven't advertised on Craigslist but.... I got a cease and desist from the head county health inspector when my website was up for only 1 week or so! (And I am working out of a licensed kitchen and had been down there 2 weeks prior to talk to them about it! icon_lol.gif ) I would hate to think about someone getting into trouble for doing something illegal!

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 3:43am
post #12 of 23

I've never posted cakes for sale on Craigslist, but I love Craigslist and I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you're licensed. I would be afraid of getting busted otherwise. I've thought about it before - maybe if I get licensed, I'll do it.

BrandisBaked Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 4:08am
post #13 of 23

If you're legal and want to advertise that way, go for it. In my opinion though, it "cheapens" you. (Not meant to be an insult... just don't expect to charge $3/serving when you advertise there) To me, it's liken to posting a hand written flyer with little tear off strips on your grocery store's bulletin board, versus handing out business cards or having an ad in the yellow pages (I don't - I think it's a waste of money).

The kind of advertising you do DOES effect the type of customers you attract.

That's my opinion on it. But I realize not everyone can spend money on advertising or have a nicely done website.

For ME, I wanted a legitimate presence on the web... and the way I see myself and my business, advertising next to sexual services, personal ads and people offering up free broken lawnmowers just wasn't the right thing to do.

To each his own though, and there's room for all of us. I would just like to see all decorators get paid what they are worth.

BrandisBaked Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 4:11am
post #14 of 23

This is the ad I mentioned earlier:

http://boise.craigslist.org/bfs/436437568.html

Erika513x2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika513x2 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 4:20am
post #15 of 23

I used to post on craigs list until it got to hot in the summer to make cakes and right now i'm a bit caked out. But i never had a problem, i let them know straight up that I do this as a hobby and I am "new" in the industry. I got several cakes off of craigslist the only thing is i make sure i recieve 50% deposit 5days prior and whenever they come to pick up the cake I make sure I am not home alone. Sorry but I live in philly and lately it has not been the city of brotherly love icon_sad.gif I also post pics of prior cakes that I have done. The fbct is a big seller for me on cl. GL

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 4:33am
post #16 of 23

I do some of my business advertising on Craigslist and I do charge $3.00 per serving. I would say 80% of my business comes from Craigslist, and they have never balked about prices. Some of them order a cake a month. I say to each his own. I am a licensed, inspected home baker though.

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 5:05am
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

This is the ad I mentioned earlier:

http://boise.craigslist.org/bfs/436437568.html

Okay so that kind of ad would tick me off. I don't put prices on my post, and that just makes it hard for all of us.

pamsdolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamsdolls Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 7:10am
post #18 of 23

Well even as a newbie I was not overly impressed by the pics of cakes in the free wedding cakes on craigs list. But its Vegas so guess it works for some people.

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 11:18am
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

If you're legal and want to advertise that way, go for it. In my opinion though, it "cheapens" you. (Not meant to be an insult... just don't expect to charge $3/serving when you advertise there) To me, it's liken to posting a hand written flyer with little tear off strips on your grocery store's bulletin board, versus handing out business cards or having an ad in the yellow pages (I don't - I think it's a waste of money).

The kind of advertising you do DOES effect the type of customers you attract.

That's my opinion on it. But I realize not everyone can spend money on advertising or have a nicely done website.

For ME, I wanted a legitimate presence on the web... and the way I see myself and my business, advertising next to sexual services, personal ads and people offering up free broken lawnmowers just wasn't the right thing to do.

To each his own though, and there's room for all of us. I would just like to see all decorators get paid what they are worth.

I get most of my biz from CL, and believe me, I charge more than $3 per slice and no one seems stunned. I guess it boils down to whatever woks for you, and CL definitley works for me; to the point I get so busy I have to turn customers away.

USMC_SGTs_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:41pm
post #20 of 23

I have thought about posting on Craigslist....that i am a home baker and such....I am just too worried about getting in trouble somehow, b/c i'm not licensed or anything and bake every cake from my own home. i'm afraid i would like getting an email from a health inspector or someone saying I can't do this and so on....and then i get into a heeping amount of trouble. Granted the place i live at is just a little bitty town...and getting in trouble for doing cakes from my home probably won't EVER happen....there is just that chance though. I would LOVE to advertise on there....but i'm just not sure.

Mickig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickig Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 7:43pm
post #21 of 23

Hmmm. I'd just be interested to know if baking your cakes for free (just asking the customer to cover the cost of supplies) gets you around the health inspectors. If you're not "selling" them, do you still have to be licensed and inspected because you advertised??? Could the state still "raid" your kitchen? I'm curious.

Mickig icon_smile.gif

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 8:00pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof4luvscakes

I do some of my business advertising on Craigslist and I do charge $3.00 per serving. I would say 80% of my business comes from Craigslist, and they have never balked about prices. Some of them order a cake a month. I say to each his own. I am a licensed, inspected home baker though.

What section of craigslist do you advertise? What does your advertisement say?

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 10:39pm
post #23 of 23

Doing cakes for anything in return is illegal. Even if they just buy the pan it is still considered payment for services. Buy the groceries or pay for supplies.... same thing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%