Darn Fbct!!!

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 7 Dec 2006 , 12:23pm by denise4

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 15

I'm doing a cake today - client requested a winning lotto scratch-off ticket as a 9x13 cake. i wonder why i get such strange orders?? ugh. Too large for an edible image. She provided me with the ticket she wanted. Scanned the ticket & blew it up to 9x13 to do a FBCT. Should be easy, right? Well DS ended up in the ER yesterday w/ a broken nose and I didnt' get started on it until today (good thing I took a personal day LOL). Well, the darn FBCT took THREE hours!! and i swear it looks all wormy, at least the parts I peeked at. How do you avoid that? I used a medium BC, not thick. icon_cry.gif And I still haven't baked the cake.

14 replies
steph007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steph007 Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 15

I know this doesn't at all adress your matter at hand, but what is FBCT?

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 15

I am sure it will be fine! I think I would use more of a thin to med/thin icing to do the FBCT. That might help a little. You could spead a little powdered sugar on the back and sort of pounce/press down on the icing. Or if it crusts, use a paper towel and your fondant smoother over the back.

Bradymom6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bradymom6 Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 15

Steph007, a FBCT is a Frozen Buttercreme Transfer.
Bradymom

emf7701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emf7701 Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 15

i always lay a piece of plastic wrap over the fbct and rub with gentle pressure using my finger....rub for a bit, refreeze...check it, rub, refreeze....etc..... until you're happy with it. hth.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 15

I use a soft medium. When piping I try not to pipe the icing out in rows, but instead I hold the tip in place and let the icing build out and away from it as I move the tip along.

I cover it with wax paper and put it in the oven for about 10 to 15mins. After that I will pull it out, flip it over and then use my finger or finger nail to rub out any lines that there are and then put it back in the freezer again before placing it on the cake.

springlakecake Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I use a soft medium. When piping I try not to pipe the icing out in rows, but instead I hold the tip in place and let the icing build out and away from it as I move the tip along.

I cover it with wax paper and put it in the oven for about 10 to 15mins. After that I will pull it out, flip it over and then use my finger or finger nail to rub out any lines that there are and then put it back in the freezer again before placing it on the cake.

In the oven?? Do you mean freezer, or is this a new technique?

beachcakes Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 1:40am
post #8 of 15

Thanks for the help. I positioned it on the cake and now I can't get the ^%&$ wax paper off w/ the whole thing lifting! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

springlakecake Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 1:44am
post #9 of 15

Okay, too late now, but I use parchment (the wilton silicone treated kind) and nothing sticks to that stuff. I have read where a lot of people have FBCT stick to wax paper, some have suggested rubbing a little crisco on it (before) and they say it works. But I am sticking to my parchment.

beachcakes Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 2:00am
post #10 of 15

Thanks Merissa! I did put a light (possibly too light) coating of crisco on the wax paper. Luckily i have a chest freezer in the basement, so I threw the whole cake in and hopefully it will set back up?

beachcakes Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 12:10pm
post #11 of 15

What a mess! I got the paper off and had to patch quite a bit. I couldn't smooth it as much as i wanted. here it is...

beachcakes Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 12:11pm
post #12 of 15

Couldn't resize it so it's in my photos.

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 12:18pm
post #13 of 15

wow nice job. Couldnt tell you had so many problems with it.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 12:20pm
post #14 of 15

Darlene it looks great. I cant tell there was any problems with the transfer.

denise4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise4 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 12:23pm
post #15 of 15

IT LOOKS GREAT!! beachcakes, they will love it thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%