How To Get This Wedding Cake Design?

Decorating By beccakelly Updated 5 Oct 2007 , 1:41pm by mmkwynne

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 44

i have a bride who wants her wedding cake to have the "i do" from the pic below on her top tier, and the "love, honor, promise" from the other pic below on her second tier. im guessing they're chocolate transfers, but i can't find any sheets like that! i've looked all over on the web, fancyflour.com, beryls.com, americanchocolatedesigns.com, etc. does anyone know where i can get those sheets, or another way of creating the same effect?
LL
LL

43 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 44

I may be completely wrong, but it kind-of looks like a regular on edible image - like the ones you would put a photo on.

missym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missym Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 44

Wow, those are amazing. I don't know what a chocolate transfer is, but I sure hope someone here can help you out. Please, post a pic of the finished product if you find these.

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 44

what about stenciling and using edible markers? just an idea

kisha311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisha311 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 44

Those are from the latest Martha Stewart Weddings magazine and in the caption for the pictures, she described how the wording was done. I don't have it here with me at work, but I remember something about calligraphy and chocolate sheets. I can get the details to you later when I get home. just send me a PM to remind me!

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 44

Agree that it looks like a chocolate transfer. You could probably do it with a stencil and marker. Lots of work with a VERY steady hand!!

beccakelly Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisha311

Those are from the latest Martha Stewart Weddings magazine and in the caption for the pictures, she described how the wording was done. I don't have it here with me at work, but I remember something about calligraphy and chocolate sheets. I can get the details to you later when I get home. just send me a PM to remind me!

thanks for all the input! looks like i'll be buying the martha stewart mag for instructions! im kinda excited about this project, i'll do a few test runs and see how it goes. but her wedding isn't until may, so i have lots of time to figure things out!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:56pm
post #8 of 44

Looks like: You write the caligraphy backwards with colored cocoa butter onto acetate sheets which have cut to the height and diameter of the cake. let that set up, cover with white chocolate. when almost set, (still pliable, but not runny) transfer/wrap around cake. Remove acetate sheet.

To do caligraphy: first print out using computer, then place under acetate and trace.

And yes VERY STEADY HAND!!

Deana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:58pm
post #9 of 44

check your printer... mine has the option to print a reverse image (it's an HP)

mrstoponak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrstoponak Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 44

I know the point is for the whole cake to be made from things you can eat...

but..

It looks like you could just print the words right off the computer onto velum and just wrap it around the cake.

Whoever cuts the cake will just peel it off before cutting.

Maybe... I dont know...

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 9:04pm
post #11 of 44

You might want to look here. http://www.chocolateart.com.au/

I know there is another web site, but I can't seem to find it right now, Sorry.

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 10:58pm
post #12 of 44

You would think that this bride would have told you where she got the pictures of these cakes from. That would have been of some help to you.

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 11:11pm
post #13 of 44

Wow, I saw that mag and passed on it. I think I may have to go get it now...

These are lovely!!

Deana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deana Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 11:23pm
post #14 of 44

here's a link to the instructions for that cake (from Martha Stewart.com)

http://tinyurl.com/36qr3w

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 11:31pm
post #15 of 44

I agree those are amazing. Are they using the the Designer Stencils - I have an email www/designerstencils.com 1-800-822-7836 is the phone. You let your frosting crust or fondant would of course work easier then frost the stencil and lift it off. Just a possibility. I havent looked at the web site to see if they have these designs. Just a shot in the dark!! Good Luck!

auntiecake Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 12:05am
post #16 of 44

It says under the description that the cake is done by Kromer and they are American Chocolate designs- white choc panels using plastic transfer sheets printed/w tinted cocoa butter instructions on page 311 - panels adhered to buttercream - if you click on the picture and enlarge you can read this and then page 311 in the magazine apparently has more instructions. Good Luck! It looks like you are already headed in that direction

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 12:35am
post #17 of 44

The cover cake for the mag is also a Kromer and it's GORGEOUS!!!

beccakelly Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 1:17am
post #18 of 44

well, after looking at martha's instructions its really not helpful at all! lol, all she does is tell you how to do a choc transfer, but i already know that. i just need the sheets. she said to use hte American Chocolate Designs transfer kit. looking at their website i didn't see anything like that, and i didn't see the calligraphy pattern listed either. it looks like i'll be experimenting with making my own as suggested by rezzycakes!

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 2:52am
post #19 of 44

I too have a bride who wants one of those cakes, but the one with the "Promise" and "Love" on it. The magazine does tell you that the calligraphy was done by Nancy Howell. In the magazine it tells you that American Chocolate Designs was the company that made the scrolls chocolate transfers but my best guess is that it the wording was a custom chocolate transfer done for this cake. On the website it states that it starts at $100 to have custom plates for printing made....

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 3:59am
post #20 of 44

Wow, I have never tried a chocolate transfer. I think I have to be a little more daring. It looks wonderful.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 4:13am
post #21 of 44

If you have time you should look around because there might be some company out ther selling these types of transfer sheets. The look very complex, when you consider the stenciling and filling involved. Much easier to find a sheet you can cut and wrap. Good luck! They're sure pretty! Post if you find something similar that you can use. I'd be interested in knowing.

Thanks and good luck!

BuncoHappens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BuncoHappens Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 12:51pm
post #22 of 44

chefrubber.com sells chocolate transfer sheets. I saw them at the Bakery Expo in Vegas last month.

beccakelly Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 1:29pm
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by crlovescakes

I too have a bride who wants one of those cakes, but the one with the "Promise" and "Love" on it. The magazine does tell you that the calligraphy was done by Nancy Howell. In the magazine it tells you that American Chocolate Designs was the company that made the scrolls chocolate transfers but my best guess is that it the wording was a custom chocolate transfer done for this cake. On the website it states that it starts at $100 to have custom plates for printing made....

that was my guess too, that martha stewart had them custom made. but theres no way im paying $100 for that! the cake is only going to cost $325! i've looked around at so many websites with choc transfers, and they're all so generic! good luck with yours crlovescakes! darn martha stewart for giving brides these kind of ideas!! lol. let me know how yours goes!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 1:47pm
post #24 of 44

Well.. I'd up the charge of that cake for sure. If she wants custom printed chocolate transfers she can pay for them. And if you are going to make them.. charge her plenty for them. Did you already give her a quote?

I mean you could make them.. they wouldn't be as crisp around the edges, but it's do-able. Make sure that the bride knows this. Tell her after looking into this you realize that it is much more of an undertaking than you originally estimated and that the transfer sheets are a lot more expensive than you anticipated. She might change her mind or be willing to go about this in a different way. You can always pipe it on to the side of the cake. The transfer sheets you are thinking about making will take a lot of time to make. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

beccakelly Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 1:57pm
post #25 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Well.. I'd up the charge of that cake for sure. If she wants custom printed chocolate transfers she can pay for them. And if you are going to make them.. charge her plenty for them. Did you already give her a quote?

I mean you could make them.. they wouldn't be as crisp around the edges, but it's do-able. Make sure that the bride knows this. Tell her after looking into this you realize that it is much more of an undertaking than you originally estimated and that the transfer sheets are a lot more expensive than you anticipated. She might change her mind or be willing to go about this in a different way. You can always pipe it on to the side of the cake. The transfer sheets you are thinking about making will take a lot of time to make. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

I did give her a quote, one that assumed i could get the transfer sheets inexpensively somewhere! lol, thats what i get for assuming! my concern with piping, is that i don't know if i can make it look anywhere near as good.

maybe RI pieces though? i print out a template, let hte pieces dry, and place them on the cake? i think for something like this i need to have a template or pattern to follow along, i wouldn't dare trust myself freehand! (i've never done calligraphy in my life). i've never attached RI pieces to the sides of a cake, they wouldn't get too heavy and fall off would they?

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 1:57pm
post #26 of 44

I have never used this company, but you can inquire about costs, if you are interested. They do custom chocolate transfer sheets; I suspect it will be costly, but it's an option.....
www.americanchocolatedesigns.com

oaklanraiderdude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oaklanraiderdude Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 2:06pm
post #27 of 44

HMMMMMMM, could you try making with something like sugar veil. I think I saw a thread with a recipe for making your own on CC. Since it is made with marshmallows and stuff it would be pliable and a lot easier to attach to cake. Guessing you could use parchement paper cut to size with pattern in reverse sort of like fbct. Just a thought. (I think you can order just the mix in choco flavor from sugar veil and just use your bags and tips).

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 2:10pm
post #28 of 44

You *can* make them.. just print out the lettering backwards on your computer and trace over them on the acetate.. You can find some scrolly images on-line too I'm sure and just print out the pattern and trace it the same way.. it'll just be time comsuming.. and I'd let the bride know that when you gave her the quote.. you had no idea that the transfer sheets were custom made for Martha by American Chocolate Designs. Explain to her how much they cost.. she might change her mind.. I know I would.. LOL. And RI shouldn't fall off of your cake.. but if it's a round cake you'll have to make sure they dry with a curve to them or they won't sit on the cake nicely.

beccakelly Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 2:11pm
post #29 of 44

okay everyone who wanted to make this cake here is the answer!!!!

i called Amer Choc designs to ask about hte martha stewart transfers, she said they will be selling them! they will be available next week and will be sold each word in a separate pack (ie, cherish in one pack, love in another, i do in another etc). each pack has 6 sheets and is $39! ouch, thats a lot more expensive than i thought htey would be, so i definitely need to get with my bride and adjust her quote!

auntiecake Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 2:23pm
post #30 of 44

Check with www.designerstencils.com and see if they have designs like that or what the cost would be. Since they are just stencils they might be cheaper than transfer sheets and they I am sure I saw cocoa butter on there site. The stencils would be sharper and you could make your own transfers w/ acetate sheets. I believe the instructions are on their site or available thru them. Hope you find a solution that is cost effective. Maybe they would be up for the challenge. Competition!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%