Pasta Machine

Decorating By Tonja Updated 7 Dec 2006 , 2:53pm by MissRobin

Tonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tonja Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 14

I really want a pasta machine for my fondant. Any recommendations or suggestions on where to buy one and what kind? Thanks! ~Tonja

13 replies
lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 14

I asked the same question a few days ago and got no response. Maybe between the two of us, we can find someone that knows something about pasta machines and fondant. BUMP!

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 14

Hiya tonya and lapaz,
I am asking my hubby for a pasta machine attachment for my ka for christmas. I don't think that you could use it for like rolling out fondant to cover an entire cake but it would be wonderful for those projects where you want a uniform thickness like making bows or cut outs or I am gonna experiment with it and see if I can do color blends like they do with polymer clay.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 14

heck, I was even thinking that we could make "canes" like for millifiori You know those ones that you make the entire cane and then cut it and have these cute little pictures all rolled into it. (dang, I watch too much carol duvall)

estherhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
estherhead Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 14

I have a pasta machine and I use it all the time to make gumpaste flowers and fondant ribbon. You cannot roll out fondant for a cake on it because it isn't wide enough but they are VERY helpful.

For rolling out fondant for cakes just buy the thick plastic sheets at your local fabric store. Put fondant in, roll with a rolling pin to appropriate width and peal off top layer of plastic. THen take the bottom layer of plastic with the fondant still on it and position it where you want it on your cake. Peal off bottom layer of plastic and smooth & trim. It takes a few tries to perfect it, but it is truly the simplest way to cover a cake in fondant, imho.

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 14

Please before you buy a pasta machine it is not wide enough to cover a cake, plus making pasta requires a lot of work you nedd to put it through the machine severaL TIMES i THINK i HAVE USED MINE TWICE oops sorry caps on these days fresh pasta is everywhere......I am a home baker and cook ever night but no the pasta machine is no good for pasta infaCT
i lie it is also very good to make croustades just put thin sliced white bread through several times. good luck whatever you decide i think it is too time consuming to even use the machine to make flowers..

Tonja Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks guys!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 14

Well, if I had thought about it it would have been obvious it wasn't wide enough to cover a cake, duh! But it does roll out fondant evenly for making flowers and bows. There is something to be said for that. Is it a mess to clean? Can it go in the dishwasher? How often do you use it? I have no interest in making pasta, just fondant. Is it worth the money? We thank you so much for responding.

(I don't have problems rolling out fondant, just lazy.)

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 4:55pm
post #9 of 14

Basically it should not be washed with pasta it is just flour all over the machine so just a little tap. It suggests not to wet/ the dishwasher would eventually corrode the metal.....Once you are use to rolling on a nonstick board placed on a non stick mat it is relatively quick not worth rotating in the pasta machine believe me. Must say we are all different and with this site I think you can well see each to his own, Just trying to offer my opinion as I am not lazy but bake bread soup cooked meal every day but it is a waste. get a good kenwood instead professional 6 litre

estherhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
estherhead Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 5:09pm
post #10 of 14

During wedding cake season I use mine every single week. I have never washed it thouroughly as I think that would create a big mess. I would definately not put it in my dishwasher. It is just confectioners sugar on it & I wipe it off before I use it and after I use it with plain water or water with a bit of dish soap.

I have never made pasta with it. The only pasta I make is homemade egg noodles and ravioli & I just roll em out on my counter and cut em with a knife. I like the crooked look.

As for fondant/gumpaste decorations a pasta machine is the only way to go, imho. Just look at my cakes. All my flowers, decorations, pearls, etc. are with the help of it. I don't have an electric one, just a cheapo hand crank that my 6 yr old daughter runs. She's my electricity. lol

Tonja Posted 6 Dec 2006 , 6:54pm
post #11 of 14

Any suggestions on one to buy and where to buy it? Overstock.com has one for 24.99 with $1 shipping..... anyone looked at that one????

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 10:46am
post #12 of 14

I noticed a pasta machine at hobby lobby, in the mold making section..I believe they were 14.99...there is a 40% off coupon to print from their website.

Tonja Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 2:12pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks hellie.... I am on my way to HL with my coupon!!! YEAH!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 2:53pm
post #14 of 14

I bought mine at Williams-Sonoma, It was about $50. dollars.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%