Ever "bring Someone In" To Teach You?

Business By schatzie Updated 3 Oct 2007 , 7:48pm by CourtneysCustomCakes

schatzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schatzie Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 3

This may sound silly...but I just opened a shop about 6 weeks ago.(well, that part isn't silly!!) I do cakes and desserts. I have basic (compared to many on this site) decorating skills but want to take my cakes to another level. i am mostly self-taught and know I'd benefit greatly from having a professional teach me the tips and tricks neccesary to create one-of-a-kind cakes. The area I'm in has many people with pocketbooks that allow them to pay for uniqueness - if you know what I mean. So I want to make the most of that. I see so many amazing things done on this site and other places and just know that if someone could come and teach me, I could do crazy wild things icon_biggrin.gif

Running the shop is all consuming so I don't have time to watch videos, travel to take classes, etc. Has anyone ever hired someone to come to their store to teach them techniques? If so, where do I begin researching who might be right for me? Thanks!

2 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 3

i don't see anything wrong with bringing someone in to teach you. The only thing i can say is that you state you have no time to take classes or watch videos. So will you have the time for someone to teach you new techniques?

I think i would start researching others work. Find someone that you like their style and if it will be a style you would like to emulate or is comparable to your own style.

I would also look for someone who is into production, you need to learn new things and also learn how to do them fast.

Good luck to you

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 3

I don't see anything wrong with doing that. I actually am self taught, so at the begining of the year I started working with another baker/decorator, and she taught me some of her secrets. I was really thankful for what I learned in the short time I was there.

It's always nice to have someone show you what they know. It may be different than what you know. I'd say go for it. I'm even thinking of taking some classes so I can learn more.

On finding someone. I'd see if there is anyone here that might be in your area but not close enough that you'd be interested. And just get together and check out what you each know. Or maybe there is a decorating instructor that is looking for something more to do.

IMO

cCc

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%