Has Anyone Done A Brush Embroidered Orchid?

Decorating By Chef_Stef Updated 4 Oct 2007 , 10:26am by Jessica176

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 2:55am
post #1 of 6

I have a cake coming up where the bride has lime green and burgundy colors, and her flowers are orchids, but she wants them not in 3-D, so to speak. Doesn't want fresh flowers, doesn't want gumpaste (though I'd LOVE to use them).

So I'm thinking brushed embroidery would be pretty, but I don't think I've seen an orchid done. Has anyone done one or seen one?

Think: white IMBC (not fondant...) with lime green stems up to lime green brushed embroidery orchids with burgundy dots for accent...

help

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 6:28am
post #2 of 6

I'm not sure you can do brush embroidery on meringue buttercreams. it might work if the icing is just out of the fridge, otherwise it might be too soft to hold up to brushing.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 6:45am
post #3 of 6

I have done brushed embroidery on buttercream before and it turned out nice. Use very light brushstrokes and dip the brush in water.
I have a link to an orchid embroidery design. It was not made for icing but could be used for that.

http://www.threadartist.com/orchid_embroidery_designs.htm

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 6

BCJean, Thanks so much for the link! That is probably exactly what I needed.

I'm doing the embroidered part in royal icing on very (!) cold IMBC, so I'm hoping it will work. I saved that link though, and if the bride manages to pay me on time (no $, no cake! --a story for another post...icon_mad.gif ), this will be a fun one to do.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 6

I've done brush embroidery on IMBC before with no problems! I actually used IMBC do do the embroidery too. One less type of icing to make, and I was worried about the royal breaking down from the grease in the IMBC (though that may not be a concern, I decided not to risk it).

Really, we use IMBC almost exclusively at the bakery I work at and IME as long as the cake is thoroughly chilled, the IMBC will stay cold and hard for quite some time.

Jessica176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica176 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 10:26am
post #6 of 6

I'm not any help with doing stuff on BC, but just wanted to share this cake I saw the other day by FlowerGirlMN. She drew on fondant with an edible pen. Obviously you won't be able to do that, but the orchids she drew have nice simple lines and look stunning, so maybe this picture might help you with the design/pattern of the orchids?
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=995043
Hope it helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%