Orange Cake - Help

Decorating By rsaun Updated 5 Dec 2006 , 2:46am by steplite

rsaun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsaun Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 14

My dad is turning 60 on Friday. I asked him what flavor cake he would like and he said "orange." I was so sure that I'd seen an orange cake mix out there, that I didn't worry about it until today when checking the grocery store shelves, saw there was no orange cake mix out there (lemon, yes, strawberry, yes, pineapple, yes, but NO ORANGE) icon_mad.gif

Anyway, does anyone have a good orange cake recipe that can with stand being baked in the sports ball pan? Or, do you know if I can add orange extract to vanilla cake mix or something like that? Any help would be appreciated!!!

13 replies
Firstlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Firstlady Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 14

yes, you can add orange extract & OJ to the mix. I found a receip in good housekeeping back in October but don't have it with me. It was an orange chiffon cake.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 14

OJ and orange extract are good, but for a really good flavor, use orange zest, too.

rsaun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsaun Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks. Should I substitute the OJ for some of the water in the recipe or just add it? Will the mix be too "liquid-y" if I just add it? Sorry for the somewhat "stupid" questions, but I've not messed w/ cake mix too much.

GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 14

I made one for my Mom and everyone loved it. It reminded us of an orange dreamsicle. It was white cake with an orange simple syrup and a whipping cream/ orange marmalde filling and orange meringue buttercream.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 14

I make orange cake all the time. I start with a basic yellow cake mix. I use fresh-squeezed orange juice instead of the water. Then, I grate the rind from the oranges that I squeezed the juice from and put that in the batter. I add a llittle orange extract. The SECRET ingredient is orange Koolaid powder. About a teaspoon. Gives it just a little bit more of a kick. Makes a nice orange cake. I frost it with buttercream flavored with a big glug of Lorann Champagne flavor oil.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 9:57pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsicle

I make orange cake all the time. I start with a basic yellow cake mix. I use fresh-squeezed orange juice instead of the water. Then, I grate the rind from the oranges that I squeezed the juice from and put that in the batter. I add a llittle orange extract. The SECRET ingredient is orange Koolaid powder. About a teaspoon. Gives it just a little bit more of a kick. Makes a nice orange cake. I frost it with buttercream flavored with a big glug of Lorann Champagne flavor oil.

Ditto! thumbs_up.gif

sugarlaced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlaced Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 14

FYI...There is an Orange Dreamsicle cake mix by Duncan Hines (I believe). This week I made cupcakes for some children and they were a big hit!!

But adding OJ is probably MUCH better!!

tracy702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracy702 Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 10:22pm
post #9 of 14

I use the Bakehouse Orange Butter Cake recipe and I get tons of request for it. It would be great in the sports ball cake pan.

lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 10:37pm
post #10 of 14

Go to allrecipes.com and type in orange cake. You will get about 99 variations!!! Good luck with your cake and I hope your dad enjoys his birthday!!

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 10:44pm
post #11 of 14

You can also put in a box of Orange Jell-o. One small box for every box of cake mix. I've done this with orange, lemon and strawberry.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 10:46pm
post #12 of 14

All these ideas!!!!!! This forum is AWESOME!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

vanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanz Posted 4 Dec 2006 , 10:55pm
post #13 of 14

I use my standard vanilla chiffon or pound cake recipe then just add orange zest & OJ.... I do the same with lemon...

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 5 Dec 2006 , 2:46am
post #14 of 14

Have you tried the Mandarin orange cake recipe. And DH makes a orange cake mix.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%