Hurry Help!!!!!!!! First Wedding Cake

Decorating By YouTakeTheCake Updated 3 Oct 2007 , 10:49pm by kakeladi

YouTakeTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YouTakeTheCake Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 8

Help Please.....I have always been just awful at pricing my cakes and to be honest the pricing matrix is just a pain to me.... Everyone I know tells me I never charge enough for my cakes...... I am meeting with the bride tonight about her cake........ How to I decide what to charge?????? Please hurry does anyone have an easy way to do this????????? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I really feel guilty charging too much so it's very hard for me to price my work.... but I'm also tired of getting chewed out at home for giving away my hard work....... Please help
Jackie

7 replies
yummymummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycakes Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 2:20am
post #2 of 8

In order to get someone to help you, you will need to tell us how many serves, fondant or buttercream, fancy cake or filling flavour?

At the very least this will give you a bump.

Cheryl

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 4:28am
post #3 of 8

Well, you need to charge enough to cover your costs and make a nice profit - or what's the point!

If you don't want to use the matrix or other pricing guides - just call local bakeries to get an idea of what the going rate is for wedding cake, in your area.

Be sure to ask the per slice price for both buttercream and fondant (with basic fillings).... and take it from there. icon_smile.gif

HTH

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 4:44am
post #4 of 8

Figure out what it will cost you to make the cake and at least triple it. If you let us know how big the cake is going to be and the basic design and flavors we can let you know what we would charge for it. Wedding cakes start at 3$ per serving for me and that gets you smooth BC and a satin ribbon.

YouTakeTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YouTakeTheCake Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 8

ok here is what she wants 6", 10", 14" buttercream on 6" and 14" with cornelli lace..... fondant with scroll design on sides only on the 10"....... with fondant ribbon and one bow on both the 10" and the 6"....no filling....how much would you charge?

CSMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSMoore Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 8

That's enough cake for about 95 people, so I would charge $2.50 per slice so that is almost $240. I would bake the layers in 3inch deep pans since she doesn't want filling. No need in baking 2 layers for each tier. Then I would charge $40 extra for all the fondant work and and extra $30 for the lace since that is very time consuming. So total i would go with $310. I'm sure you will get a huge range of different prices.

Good Luck and let us know what you charge her!!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 8

A minimum of $2.50 per serving. An extra $20-25 for the fondant ribbon & bow.
As was said, check w/your local bakeries to see what the going pricing is.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 10:49pm
post #8 of 8

A minimum of $2.50 per serving. An extra $20-25 for the fondant ribbon & bow.
As was said, check w/your local bakeries to see what the going pricing is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%