Pies !!

Decorating By grama_j Updated 3 Oct 2007 , 11:37pm by grama_j

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 29

Does anyone do pies? I just got an order for a cake, but she would like two pies also..... What would you charge for a PIE ? I've never done one for sale.....

28 replies
abeverley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abeverley Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 29

I do pies as well and they are $15 each.

abeverley Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 29

I do pies as well and they are $15 each.

jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 29

I do pies, heres what i charge:
Apple 9.00
Pecan 11.00
chocolate pecan 12.00
shoofly 7.50
chocolate shoofly 8.50
pumpkin 7.50

Hope that helps thumbs_up.gif

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 29

I've wondered about this myself because I've considered offering pies. I would charge $20 each. But even that is hard to get motivated for.

jessi01- your customers must love you! (But you could charge double and they'd still get your pies!)

grama_j Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 29

She didn't say what size....... I"m thinking a 10" ? One is just a lemon merange, one is a special deep dish apple cream that is really yummy, but expensive, and a pain in the butt to make..... I was thinking $25.00 for that one.... is it to much ?

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 2:28pm
post #7 of 29

No, I think for a 10" pie, especially a difficult or expensive one to make, $25 or $30 makes sense.

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 2:30pm
post #8 of 29

I don't think $25 is too much for the apple one. I make pies so I know the work that goes into them and fruit is expensive. I would do $15 for the lemon meringue. Hope that helps!

Pamela5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pamela5 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 2:57pm
post #9 of 29

I do lots of pies- especially this time of year. All my crust is homemade and all my fillings are fresh and organic if possible. Apples are very expensive for the amount it will take to make a deep dish. I wouldn't blink about charging $30 for it. For the meringue on the top of the lemon, you can pipe it in a pretty design and even pre bake some initials or flowers out of meringue for the top. I would say $20 for it.

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 3:10pm
post #10 of 29

WOW you guys can charge a lot for pies. there is no way that I could get anywhere close to that where i live. I do 9" deep dish pies and charge $6.00 for my chocolate cream, banana cream and coconut cream pies and then I charge $8.50 for my double crusted apple and cherry pie and then for my pumpkin pie also. wish I could charge that much though icon_smile.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 3:15pm
post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdybear1978

WOW you guys can charge a lot for pies. there is no way that I could get anywhere close to that where i live. I do 9" deep dish pies and charge $6.00 for my chocolate cream, banana cream and coconut cream pies and then I charge $8.50 for my double crusted apple and cherry pie and then for my pumpkin pie also. wish I could charge that much though icon_smile.gif

Don't know where you are located but it would be the same here. If I told someone $20 for a pie, they'd fall over. It's kinda like the cakes. People just don't realize what goes into them. Our nursing home here sells pies during the holidays and they are $5.00-$7.00 depending on what you want. Who the devil could compete with that. (And, yes, they are made from scratch and delicious)

Diane

Pamela5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pamela5 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 4:18pm
post #12 of 29

Aren't most frozen pies from the grocery store at least $7-10.00? My theory is anyone can just pick up a frozen pie when they get milk and bread at their local grocery store. If they are ordering a pie from me they want something more than they can get in the freezer section. $5-7.00 for a fresh homemade pie is a steal! I hope your customers are realizing what a great deal they are getting.

tdybear1978 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 4:49pm
post #13 of 29

I live in Oklahoma city. I have been debating on making my apple pie, cherry pie and pumpkin pie $10.00 each but I just don't think that I can get anymore out them then that. I have been thinking about giving more of a variety for the specialty pies but don't really know what else I should do. I saw one on the food network on a pie throwdown with Bobby Flay that was like a 3 berry pie, was kind of thinking of something like that. I don't really eat pies so it is hard for me to think of something that I think others would like. if you all have any suggestions please feel free to share icon_smile.gif

lionladydi Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 4:55pm
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela5

Aren't most frozen pies from the grocery store at least $7-10.00? My theory is anyone can just pick up a frozen pie when they get milk and bread at their local grocery store. If they are ordering a pie from me they want something more than they can get in the freezer section. $5-7.00 for a fresh homemade pie is a steal! I hope your customers are realizing what a great deal they are getting.

Oh, it's not me selling them for that. It's the kitchen at the nursing home. They mostly do it for the employees but also advertise them to the community for the same price. I don't know why anyone would bake a pie when they could buy one at that price! Like I said, they are delicious.

Diane

lionladydi Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 4:58pm
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdybear1978

I live in Oklahoma city. I have been debating on making my apple pie, cherry pie and pumpkin pie $10.00 each but I just don't think that I can get anymore out them then that. I have been thinking about giving more of a variety for the specialty pies but don't really know what else I should do. I saw one on the food network on a pie throwdown with Bobby Flay that was like a 3 berry pie, was kind of thinking of something like that. I don't really eat pies so it is hard for me to think of something that I think others would like. if you all have any suggestions please feel free to share icon_smile.gif

If you are planning on selling them for $10 then you need to figure out what you can bake for that and still make money. Fruit is so high and especially going into winter. If you plan on doing cream pies, you have to consider the high cost of sugar, eggs, and milk right now. I almost fainted when I saw that eggs were almost $2 a doz. when I did my grocery shopping.

Diane

abeverley Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 5:07pm
post #16 of 29

I am in Missouri and I get $15 for a 9" deep dish for all pies...accross the board unless it is just something that is very unusual.

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 5:12pm
post #17 of 29

Maybe we just sell pies really cheap in Oklahoma, but I couldn't get anywhere near $15-$20 for a pie...that's why I don't do them.

There's a local restaurant here that sells the best fresh, all handmade pies and their most expensive is $12.50. I can't compete with that..heck, I even buy my pies from them!

tdybear1978 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 5:46pm
post #18 of 29

justme50 - where in oklahoma are you? if you don't mind me asking.

justme50 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 6:59pm
post #19 of 29

No, I don't mind at all. I live just south of Tulsa in the middle of nowhere. icon_lol.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 7:17pm
post #20 of 29

This is why I don't want to work out of my home. When I first started decorating, a long time ago, I baked for a year from my home. Some days I would have 1 person wanting a cake, someone else a pie, they would want cinnamon rolls, bread, cookies. I found myself trying to offer these at reasonable prices. To make all of those things in one day to sell 1 item to each person, you just can't make a profit on your time. I think I would offer a product each day of the week. Pies on Tuesday, cookies on Wednesday etc. I would save the weekends for cakes only.
If you have lots of time and just want to do it then I wouldn't worry too much about the price you charge. If you really want to make money at it...I would take a job in a bakery, it is so much easier there.

justme50 Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 10:44pm
post #21 of 29

If you can charge $15-$25, you'll definitely make money!

I don't have a problem with customers not being able to buy pies from me. They know I don't make them, so I just don't get asked to.

I've tried working outside the home, and I'll never go back. Working for myself gives me total control over what I do. I'm not going to get rich at it, but then I wouldn't get rich working for another bakery either. icon_lol.gif

For me, being an independent decorator is the only way to go.

grama_j Posted 1 Oct 2007 , 10:56pm
post #22 of 29

Thanks for all the replies... Isn't it mice to be able to count on our CC family ?!

lionladydi Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:39pm
post #23 of 29

Went to Sam's Club yesterday with my grandchildren. They talked me into buying a "Walnut Caramel Apple Pie." I is a 10" pie that is loaded with apples and has a crumb topping with chopped walnuts and caramel on top. I paid $8.68 plus tax. I just ate a piece of it and it is absolutely wonderful. There is no way I could afford to make a pie that size for that amount of money. How can you compete with that? icon_surprised.gif

Diane

grama_j Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 6:46pm
post #24 of 29

THere in lies the problem, diane..... WE CAN"T !

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 7:23pm
post #25 of 29

That was the point I was trying to make earlier...if you could make 60 pies a day and have the customers for them, at $10. a pie, you would have $600 and if half of it was profit... $300 isn't bad. If you had a big mixer so you could do all of the pie crust at the same time and a pie press to make the crusts, right in the pan...and if you had an oven large enough to bake all of them at the same time. You could make that many pies in a day. But, you would really have to hustle to do that many, one at a time, and you probably wouldn't have 60 customers. I still say, if you enjoy baking and can make a few dollars off of it, go for it. Hand made, no matter what it is; houses, cars, kitchen cabinets, clothing...... automation made things affordable to the average person but it made it hard on the craftsman. To some people it is worth paying a premium price to get quality, unique or fresh. Others, it just doesn't make enough difference to them to pay the difference in price Twice a year Marie Callender's have a special and their pies are $5.99.....I won't even bake for myself at that price.

johnniekake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnniekake Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 9:09pm
post #26 of 29

I sell ALOT of pies at the holidays.............they range in price from $15-30
(10 inch pie) Ive had my shop for 4 1/2 years and I used to stress about the price..........are they too expensive ,no one will buy them icon_cry.gif ..blah,blah,blah I cant compete with Sams,Village INN ect......

But I had to come to this conclusion"You CANNOT get a pie like mine unless you or your grandma baked it,so the fact is...... I dont need to compete with anyone else they need to compete with me...because the taste,quality and ingredients are not the same and believe it or not there is a clientale out there that knows this and wants the best and is willing to pay for it!!!!!! THANK GOD FOR THAT OR I WOULD BE OUT OF BUSINESS!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

grama_j Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 10:16pm
post #27 of 29

I LIKE the way you think, Johnniecake ! icon_lol.gif The girl told me today she couldn't afford the Apple cream pie, so we are going with a lemon and a coconut........ I think I'm going to include a little individual apple cream so she can taste it..... I'll BET she will be able to afford it for the Holidays ! HA!
OH ! For the coconut cream..... have you ever used maccarons for the crust ? I wonder how that would turn out.... I don't like coconut, so I haven't messed with it........

lionladydi Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 11:00pm
post #28 of 29

johnniekake, I admire you for your confidence and your ability to attract the customers with your pie making. It just isn't feasible for some of us as we live in areas that just cannot pay those prices.

grama_i, I have never tasted an apple cream pie. What is it like? As for the coconut pie, if you like coconut, I bet the macaroons for crust would be good. No one in my bunch will eat coconut cream pie except for my daughter in law and me so I seldom ever make one. Same with coconut on a cake. I make a white cake and put coconut on half of it. icon_lol.gif Trust me........I don't need to eat half a cake but that's what ends up happening! icon_redface.gif

All this talk of pie and I will have to try another piece of that apple before the night is out. icon_lol.gif

Diane

grama_j Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 11:37pm
post #29 of 29

Here ya go....... I LOVE it !! LOL! I just read this recipe.... I did this for my Granddaughter, so the little "side" instructions are for her.....

Glazed Apple Cream Pie

Double crust for 9 or 10 pie

FILLING ( this is doubled.I like a lot of cream filling )

1 Cup sugar
1 Cup milk
1 Cup whipping cream
½ C BUTTER ( not margarine)
4 tbs. Milk
2 teasp. Vanilla

APPLE LAYER:

4 or 5 baking apples
1 Heaping TBS. Flour
1 teasp cinnamon
1 teasp. apple pie spice

GLAZE:

½ Cup powdered sugar
1Tbs. Milk
½ teasp.vanilla
1 Tbs. Softened butter

1. Prepare pie crust

2. Heat oven to 400..In medium saucepan combine sugar, milk, whipping cream, and butter,. Cook over medium-low heat until hot and butter is melted..stirring occasionally. Dont let it stick.. Take off heat.

3. In small bowl, combine cornstarch and milkmix WELL, add to mixture in saucepan; cook and stir CONSTANTLY until thickened(stir with whisk )remove from heat, and stir in vanilla

In medium bowl, combine apples, spices and flour..stir to mix pour part of the cream mixture into crust lined panlayer apples and top with remaining cream mixture.top with second crust. Cut slits in top crust. Before putting in oven, cover the pie edges with strips of foil.( it will keep it from getting to brown before the pie gets done )

4. Bake at 400 for about 40 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 for 10 more minutes.( you can test if it is done by putting a sharp knife in through one of the slits in the top.go through one of the apple slices, and if it goes in and comes out easily it is ready ) If it still seems hard, let it go for another 10 minutes.it should be okay though. I bake mine on a foil lined cookie sheet.FOR SURE it will bubble over, and it makes a REAL mess in the oven !! Cool for about 15 or 20 minutes.
5. While the pie is cooling, .in a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients.blend until smooth.. pour over pie. Refrig. For 1 1/2 hours before servingStore in Refrig..I like it warm , so I put a slice in the microwave for about 20 seconds before serving..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%