I Know, I Know...but I Really Need Ccers Boost

Decorating By tobycat Updated 28 Sep 2007 , 10:36pm by briansbaker

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 4

Gal wants a cake with a disco ball on it (a real ball, not a flat pic) with a disco stage. Cake is for 50+ people, so I decide to do an 11x15x4 with the disco ball made from the sports' ball pan. Plan to paint fondant to make the disco ball with "mirrored" squares and to paint the fondant dance floor. 3 layers of filling (caramel) with choc cake. (1 1/2 week weeks' notice.)

Quote her $100, and she says, well that's more than we thought it would be. icon_confused.gif

No problems between us at all -- I just tell her that's the price and she can go with it if she wants, that even though she can get a cake to feed that many for less (though not a custom cake), it would cost me just that much to MAKE the cake. SIGH.

Started to get that "feeling" that I was asking too much.

Please tell me, do you think I was charging too much???

TIA -- S.

3 replies
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 4

If she can go to walmart or any local bakery and get this "special order" cake for under 100.. THen let her move one.. That is a good price.. I mean come one.. A disco Ball??? 3D??? And all the work your going to have to put into it with all the little squares not only for the Ball but the stage too???

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 4

Definitely not charging "too much".

Some folks have champagne tastes and budgets to match. icon_biggrin.gif

Other folks have champagne tastes and beer budgets. tapedshut.gificon_rolleyes.gif

You're not a mass producer of the lowest costing (cookie cutter) cakes possible. icon_eek.gif

You're a custom cake artist with a clientele who appreciates (and pays) for out-of-the-ordinary quality and design. thumbs_up.gif

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 4

JanH

Oh wow.. you said everything I've been trying to tell people.. HA HA HA HA icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Beer Budget..
I could have used that on a couple of my relatives!!!! icon_razz.gif
Thanks for sharing those nice (to the point) quotes..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%