Red Red

Decorating By frosty1596 Updated 28 Sep 2007 , 11:31pm by wendydou

frosty1596 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosty1596 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 13

Ok, I'll start off by saying sorry to all who have seen this ? more than a few times. I can't get my royal frosting a dark enough red. I tried the americolor x-mas red which did actually do the trick! Unfortunately, it made the frosting too runny because I had to use so much of it. Isn't there a powder that might do the same thing w/out making the frosting slide right off my cupcakes!? Help!

12 replies
Aunksunamun13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aunksunamun13 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 13

I an curious as well....I had the same issues with my black. *shakes head* Everything looks hot pink or grey, lol.

Mickig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickig Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 13

Alas, the only advice I can give is to start with chocolate for the black. As for the red, purhaps you could add a touch of another color, like brown (just a touch) and see if that darkens it, I'd try a test sample, not the entire bowl of icing. The only other suggestion is to let it sit overnight and see how dark it gets, because it will darken. Sorry I can't offer any other help.

Mickig icon_sad.gif

wendy1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendy1273 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 13

I had to make icing look like ketchup not too long ago and what I did was mix wilton no flavor very red with a touch of black and brown until I got the color I was looking for.

I dont know how much decoration you are going to do on the cake but maybe you can start with just red icing and then take red or burgundy dust mix with vodka and touch it up ones is dry on the cake.

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty1596

I tried the x-mas red which did actually do the trick! Unfortunately, it made the frosting too runny because I had to use so much of it. Isn't there a powder that might do the same thing w/out making the frosting slide right off my cupcakes!? Help!

Just to clarify - you used the x-mas red and it did the trick? But because you had to use so much your frosting is really runny?

If that is the case, add more icing sugar to firm it back up!! more liquid from the colourings, necessitates the need for more icing sugar to absorb the liquid.

I do know there is powdered food colouring, but I am unsure of the usage since I've never used it before. Hopefully someone else can answer that question!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunksunamun13

I an curious as well....I had the same issues with my black. *shakes head* Everything looks hot pink or grey, lol.

To make black from white, you have to add a little purple to it to get away from that nasty greenish color.

dueter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dueter Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 13

Have not tried this yet but was told to first color icing deep orange. Then add the red

aimers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimers Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 13

If you are trying to get Red BC you can use the red candy (chocolate) color, you use less and it doesn't have that funky flavor. If it's royal icing I would add more sugar with the xmas red.

frosty1596 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 10:41pm
post #9 of 13

thanks everyone, more sugar, duh! That makes perfect sense and it worked! I tried one little drop of black to get a deeper red & it went too far. I'll try brown. Thanks again!

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 10:57pm
post #10 of 13

There was another thread on this exact question. I have used red cherry koolaid and just added it to the frosting while you are mixing it. It also flavors your icing. It's a bit tart, but a unique flavor and it gets the color bright red. Try this to see if it works for you. Good luck......

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 11:13pm
post #11 of 13

I have always used True Red from Chefmaster. It works well for me. I was told the trick to make any color bright, deep or intense was first to color a little of the icing adding a generous amount of color, then allowing it to sit while it deepens and after that adding more icing and food coloring according to the amount you need to do the job.

frosty1596 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 11:21pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you both, I will be trying both of your ideas! I just want to find the best way & stick with it always, ya know?

wendydou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendydou Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 11:31pm
post #13 of 13

try mixing red red with xmas red and it comes out pretty good. I got Elmo done once with it and it wasn't a bad color in the end

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%