Hmmm, Let Me Have Your Opinions....

Decorating By Aimeestrange Updated 2 Oct 2007 , 5:26pm by Aimeestrange

Aimeestrange Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aimeestrange Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 2:23am
post #1 of 23

So a longtime friend of mine asked me to do a cake for her Sister in Laws upcoming baby shower. I said sure, because I had the date open. For family and close friends, I usually do a cake for them at a discounted price. But my friend had made a point that she wanted to pay full price for it- seeing as it wasn't actually for her. So I sent her a quote-

"I would say that a price range for a 10" round two layer ( the perfect size for 20 people and maybe a few straglers) would be around $35."

And this is the reply I get back:

"The cake sounds a bit on the pricy side to me. Regena got a 1/2 sheet and smash cake wiht filling and whipped cream frosting for $40 from checkerboard cheesecake and dylan's dad got a 1/2 sheet from walmart for $20 or $25. granted it wasn't filled and had more frosting than cake and it was a single layer. I really didn't want to spend more than $25 for a cake, cause really that's all I have extra right now and that's what Ben oked to spend since it's just for his sister's baby shower. I know that does limit what the cake will be like, but especially since it isn't going to be what the event is centered around I can't really justify it. I don't mind if it was a single layer not even split. I was talkign to Beth's Mom who used to do cakes and telling her about you ans she said she had to cut prices for awhile and really wasn't making a lot for profit then after she had a bunch of regular clients she explained due to price of ingredients she had to raise the cost and they were all okay with that."

icon_confused.gif I'm not exactly sure what to think.....

22 replies
mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 2:53am
post #2 of 23

I can see why she has confused you.
Is she canceling or asking you to come down on price? icon_confused.gif

It's in your court now, if you want to be treated like a professional in this case ( since she asked to pay your regular price) and it isn't for family ( discount) then stick to your quote.
Or you could tell her what you can give her for $25.
But seriously, who gets to decide which of the 12 guests are getting cake and who doesn't get to have a slice??

She is free to go find another cake elsewhere. No harm, no foul.

It's nice she knows the prices and quality of the bakeries in the area but that remark about how the event isn't about the cake...ouch. icon_razz.gif
To us decorators every event is ABOUT the cake. icon_lol.gif

mommachris

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 3:11am
post #3 of 23

I would just tell her very politely, "I understand if you think you can get a better deal somewhere else." And leave it at that. Very short, to the point, and polite. I wouldn't think too much of it. Some people just don't understand and there's no reasoning with them.

I had to tell my son's girlfriend's family that the cake they wanted for this weekend started at $40. Their reply was, "nevermind." My reply was, "OK." No sweat off my back. I have more than I can handle this weekend anyway and they are NOT getting a free cake.

My attitude is thanks to Indydebi!!! I'm so not getting taken advantage of.
icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 3:15am
post #4 of 23

I don't know what Wal Mart she's shopping at, but here you don't get a 1/2 sheet for 20-25. The basic price for a 1/2 sheet cake is $35 and she's right..it's all frosting, and a single rose slapped in the corner...and prices here are cheap compared to many areas. Your 10" cake would serve as many as Wal Mart's 1" inch high 1/2 sheet serves and there's no doubt it would be a much higher quality.

I am so sick and tired of hearing "but I can get a cake at Wal Mart for....". That's right, you can get A cake...you can't get MY cake. I'd tell her to go ahead and order it from Wal Mart, that you completely understand the need to go cheap.

As for another baker having to cut her prices until she wasn't making a profit...Sounds like she's trying to tell you how to run your business, what nerve! Honestly, she doesn't sound like much of a friend to me.

cykrivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cykrivera Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 3:15am
post #5 of 23

I would be so put off by that email. In my opinion it sounds very rude, but you know your friend and how she is, so maybe this is her norm. All she had to say was, " Do you think we can do a single layer cake instead for maybe $25? That's pretty much all I have to spend for it. Thanks!"
That's how she should have done it but some people just don't think. As for the cake, I'd just do it how she wants. But be sure to respond that your prices are very competitive with other similar bakers, etc... Good luck.

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 3:16am
post #6 of 23

Let her know you're ok with it if she goes to Walmart and pays $20-$25 for a half sheet.
Her response to you really p@#$ed me off. Why do people feel like they can ask you to spend your time and money making something for them, but not want to pay what your time is worth? icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif
This kind of thing makes me nuts.
IMHO, you should let her go somewhere else and not sweat it.
Erin

marecip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marecip Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 3:23am
post #7 of 23

What has this girl been smoking!?!? Or does she have a split personality?
I want to pay full price but oh! your too high. Walmart is cheaper..'course it's less cake & no filling but still...cakes not important..it's only his sister's shower...but ummm...there was this lady..who wasn't making money so she raised her prices & everyone was fine...but!!!!!

Tell her..errr..nicely...to go to Walmart. That you completely understand that her husband doesn't think his sister is worthy of a cake of your caliber.

Maybe you can point out that the tastykake/hostess family pack may be on sale somewhere.
OH!..ring-dings have 2 in each pack.

HAHAHA..ring-dings for a ding-dong!

sorry..I couldn't stop my fingers. I know she is a longtime friend BUT what would you say if one of us posted this?

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 3:23am
post #8 of 23

I agree with the others....tell her how you don't mind one bit if she goes to Walmart...that you totally understand icon_wink.gif

or...

tell Beth's mom to do the cake...she seems to know all about it.

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 3:25am
post #9 of 23

Okay, so I'm feeling like jumping up on my soap box tonight.....
I had a terrible time following her poor grammar - what was she saying? I didn't quite get it - other than the fact that she thinks you're asking too much and telling you to come down in price because you're not going to get customers that way. Hmmm.... hey, thanks for the input, but I didn't ask. Sorry - I'll get down off my soap box now. I'm not sure why people feel the need to tell others how to run their business. She wanted to pay full price, well, $35 is full price, and it's still NOT OUTRAGEOUS! Getting the business is always good, but at what cost? She should have asked you about a different alternative. I agree with others - maybe tell her what she CAN get for $25, but that you totally understand if she needs to go cheap by going to Walmart. Let us know how it goes!

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 3:26am
post #10 of 23

That is the most hilarious reply I have ever seen in response to a cake quote. The only way it could have been better is if she hadn't used any punctuation. She pulled out Regena, Dylan's dad and Beth's mom the price-slashing cake decorator ! icon_lol.gif

Frankly, I wouldn't do the cake at all but if that's not your MO then I'd stand firm on your original quote because you just know she's not going to be happy with what you say is $25 worth of cake. She'll keep trying to add everything back in that she wants and before you know it she's getting your $35 cake for her $25.

Stand your ground & good luck! icon_smile.gif

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 3:31am
post #11 of 23

sorry but your friend has no cooth

i mean, how hard would it have been to say...' hey can u make a simple baby shower cake for me for $25.00...its all i have to spend right now and i understand if u cant but your cakes are soo good and i promise to advertise like mad for you'

instead...she said all that offensive nonsense?
hmm...sorry but shes a sucky friend imho icon_eek.gif

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 3:41am
post #12 of 23

Wow....$25 for a 1/2 sheet icon_surprised.gif !! I'm DIRT CHEAP b/c I'm really looking just to practice and that covers my supplies plus a little bit extra but I don't even charge that little! My boring reg. cakes, which I'm happy to say are single-layered with a rose in the corner (that I just taught MYSELF to do icon_biggrin.gif) are $25 and that INCLUDES delivery. Must be a really sad Walmart trying to get rid of ALOT of leftover cake.

Obviously, you're not doing it for the practice, so... IMO I'd remind her that you offered to do it for a discount in the beginning. That way she could get what she originally wanted for a lesser price, but then let her know what your full price would be and if she INSISTS (which is dumb if you offered a discount) on paying it.....whatever less work for you or she could just go somewhere else.

And, by the way......who says a Baby Shower isn't about the cake?????? How many pregnant women does she know????? I'm due in 2 weeks and EVERYTHING is about cake icon_smile.gificon_lol.gif

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 3:52am
post #13 of 23

i agree with the posters who say let her go on her way to walmart and buy the cake there.

if she was your friend she would be supportive of you and your business...i do understand that if she only has 25 then fine...but say that and ask if you can work within that price.

tasha27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasha27 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 4:11am
post #14 of 23

If you want the 25 bucks then do a 25 cake if not then she can go to WalMart.

victorianne_sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victorianne_sweets Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 4:13am
post #15 of 23

icon_surprised.gif How rude! If it were me, I think I would suddenly be busy or have other orders or be sick that weekend. Apologize, and wish her well with WalMart.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 4:37am
post #16 of 23

Okay...first rule of cake decorating. You ARE NOT in competition with Walmart. There is no comparison between a Walmart cake and one done by a decorator. A private bakery would charge her at least $50, probably more, for that same cake. Sure, anyone can get a cheaper cake at Walmart, that is why Walmart exists. If a Walmart cake price is what they want, then let them go there and get it. I recently raised my starting price for cakes to $35. I won't even consider doing one for less than that. I wouldn't do a double layer 10 inch round for less than $45, so $35, in my opinon, is a steal.

Bottom line, I would say, I'm sorry but I just can't make a cake for less than that. You are welcome to go find someone who will do a cake in your price range. I'm sorry I couldn't help you.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 4:58am
post #17 of 23

You do not have to justify your prices. It doesn't matter what Walmart or such and such bakery or the woman down the road charges. You do not have to match their prices.

You can either tell her... Sorry the cake you want is $35, it is up to you if you want to pay that or not. Or you can say, Okay for $25 I can do this and that.

Don't go in to explaination on why you charge what you do or anything else.

Aimeestrange Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 7:58am
post #18 of 23

It's good to know that I am not completely off my rocker! icon_rolleyes.gif LOL. I was very shocked, and very P****d icon_mad.gif , when I received the reply. In a few hours when I am awake enough to wrap my head around this, I'll first look at what CAN be done for her in that price range. If I can't or she's not happy...no cake for her! This Cake Nazi will send her A** to Walmart!!!

It would have been nice for her to mention her budget, and granted- knowing her all this time, I should have asked. Only because I know she can be a cheapskate. I mean that literally, you know. (I've had issues with her like this before about cake) Her husband is the biggest dork, she will let him spend money like water on what he wants. But get this....for her eldest daughter's first birthday, she couldn't even be bothered to buy a cake mix and a can of frosting! icon_confused.gif No, she pulled out the top tier she saved from her wedding cake and served that. Poor little girl didn't even have a smash cake to call her own....

I;m thinking that I should move to a different state and hide so no one I know can find me lol! icon_lol.gif

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 11:15am
post #19 of 23

Sorry, If she feels she will like the wal mart cakes better than I would very nicely decline the order.

Aimeestrange Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 4:01am
post #20 of 23

As much as the Cake Nazi in me wanted to tell her off, it seems I didn't have to. (Call it the cowards way out icon_lol.gif ) I've had some medical issues come up, and at this point I don't know exactly what testing/treatments will be taking place between now and then. So i just told her that due to the uncertainty of the situation, I didn't want to say that I would do it- only to possibly have to cancel at the last minute. All is fine and dandy now, I don't have to worry about it thumbs_up.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 12:15pm
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimeestrange

As much as the Cake Nazi in me wanted to tell her off, it seems I didn't have to. (Call it the cowards way out icon_lol.gif ) I've had some medical issues come up, and at this point I don't know exactly what testing/treatments will be taking place between now and then. So i just told her that due to the uncertainty of the situation, I didn't want to say that I would do it- only to possibly have to cancel at the last minute. All is fine and dandy now, I don't have to worry about it thumbs_up.gif

Glad to hear you're ok and everything worked out.....be ready for next time!!! icon_smile.gif

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 12:28pm
post #22 of 23

One thought....if Beth's Mom is a decorater and does cheaper cakes...WHY isn't she doing the cake???

Aimeestrange Posted 2 Oct 2007 , 5:26pm
post #23 of 23

You know, I've wondered that myself. LOL But truthfully, I don't think that her Mom decorates cakes for anyone other than family anymore. She went through "Cake Burnout" a few years ago.......well when you short-change yourself repeatedly, I can understand why you would burnout! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%