Boston, Ma Cake Decorators

Decorating By DisneyDreamer Updated 3 Dec 2006 , 10:57pm by SweetResults

DisneyDreamer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DisneyDreamer Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 16

Okay not really sure where to put this so sorry if i am in the wrong place icon_redface.gif !!! So I go to Boston every year for St. Patricks Day. Little by little I am seeing the city but from the first time that plane touched down at Logan airport it was over and Boston became my LOVE & the place I want to be!!! Okay so I will move on from singing Boston praises to get to the real point Boston bakeries I would love to go to some of the best bakeries in town but I want an inside scoop from the people who work at them and who eat there!!! So I would love to hear all your hidden Boston cake stores! I LOVE LOVE LOVE south Boston and when the time comes to open my own place would love for it to be on Broadway in south Boston!!! Thanks for your help
Thanks again
Erica
"Boston, USA"

Boston, USA
here she comes now over the skyline
I'm Home again, i'm feeling fine
There's the River Charles and Kenmore Square
I don't want to go anywhere
There's another show, get in the van
To another town to do it all over again
I can't wait to get back Home
To the city streets where I come from
To the Dirty Water of Boston, USA
It's 3 AM and I'm still not done
I could walk these streets till i hit the dawn
You don't know what you've got till it's gone
I know this is where I belong
It looks like it's still early, get some beer
Let's catch the Green Line down to Kenmore Square
Can you tell me where they put the Rat?
To those memories i still look back
It was a summer night by the Mass Ave Bridge
When i gave that girl a little kiss
She said "I don't think i can see you no more"
I said "If that's the case then I'll carry on
Because the city streets are all there is for me"
Friends come and go but these will always be
I'll take the C-town, Cambridge, all the rest
But i wont take no second best

15 replies
DisneyDreamer Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 16

NOT ONE BOSTON DECORATOR OR BOSTONEN???? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 16

Mike's Pasteries-in the North End of Boston on Hanover Street
Jorg's Patessire on Commonwealth Avenue (very close to the Kenmore Subway Station)

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 16

I am not from Boston, just the cape.
My uncle Lives on broadway though. Small world!!!

cakesbykellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykellie Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 16

anything and everything in the north end. mmmmmmm........ i would live in the north end and never leave the neighborhood if it were up to me!!!(and i probably wouldnt be able to leave becuase i would weigh 600 lbs!) icon_eek.gif

DisneyDreamer Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 16

thanks ill have to check them all out i meet up with people to go to Boston to see the dropkick murphys shows and they were dying when i was talking about hitting up bakeries insted of all the Irish pubs! i was told by command that i HAD to go the black rose on st. patrick's day!!! The north end is very fun but i still have a deep love for SOUTHIE "what happens in southie stays in southie"

cakesbykellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykellie Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 16

my SisInLaw is livin' it up in SOuthie right now (oh how jealous i am!). Maybe i should get her tp make bakery stops before she comes to visit me again...... icon_rolleyes.gif

GeminiKim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiKim Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 16

I have never been into bakeries much. They never taste as good as hom emade (in my opinion) My husband LOVES Lyndell's In Somerville (Ball Square) and I have heard the Modern Bakery in the North End is a good one.

cakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerator Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 10:15pm
post #9 of 16

Most of my family is originally from southie. St. Patricks Day in Southie was one of my favorite holiday celebrations growing up. You just can't beat it!

Definitely try Mike's in the north end.
Finale is another one to try - there is one in Boston and one in Cambridge. (i've never been but i've heard rave reviews)

If you want to check out some more mainstream popular bakeries a little south of Boston, there is Konditor Meister in Braintree and Montilio's in Quincy and Brockton.

The Black Rose is a really good time on St. Patty's Day. Actually, that whole Fanueil Hall area has some really good bars and pubs. The Bell N Hand is pretty fun. Over near the north end is The Harp. Always a good time.

The only cake supply store that I know of is Lorraine's Cake Supplies in Hanover (a little south of Boston)

Have fun!

DisneyDreamer Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 5:45pm
post #10 of 16

i love love love southie i just finished reading All souls and have ordered Easter Sunday! I am not a parade person but when you hear the whaling of the bag pipes how can you not be i hang out at Al's liquor i think its broadway and i want to say h but cant remember!!!!

For Boston, for Boston,
we sing our proud refrain
for Boston, for Boston
'tis wisdom's earthly fame
for here are all one
and our hearts are true
and the towers on the heights
reach the heavens own blue.
for Boston, for Boston
'til the echoes ring again

For Boston, for Boston
thy glory is our own
for Boston, for Boston
'tis here that truth is known
and ever with a right
shall our heirs be found
'til time shall be no more
and thy work is crowned
for Boston, for Boston
thy glory is our own

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 4:33am
post #11 of 16

To heck with Mike's - go to Bova's in the North End and get the Whoopie Pies!! They are as big as your head and like HEAVEN!!!!!

Or you could come see me and I will make you a cake... LOL! Let me know when you are in town icon_lol.gif

irelandshs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irelandshs Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 5:01am
post #12 of 16

I just moved back to Worcester from Boston 40 days ago (yes I am counting!) and I am heartbroken. I miss being able to see the skyline outside my living room window. I agree with cakerator, Montilio's is awesome. If you are ever in Faneuil Hall, try either Beard Papa's or the Boston Chipyard. I was hearing a lot of good stuff about this place Trani, I guess they stuff cupcakes with ice cream and cover them in chocolate, but I haven't personally been there. If you are ever in Beachmont, just outside of East Boston), avoid Torretta's Bakery. I got my wedding cake there and it was terrible! It was a small 2 tiered cake, and I didnt have a tasting for it because I was treated like I was a huge burden on them for ordering a small cake. I asked for a plain vanilla cake with plain buttercream, all white with royal blue swirls on the side. When I picked it up, the blue icing had ran all over the cake. I didn't have time to argue with the owner since we were running really late, and truth be told so many other things were going wrong that I just didn't care. When we finally cut the cake it was lemon, with lemon buttercream. I do not like lemon anything, and I guess no one else did either, because most of it ended up in the trash. Also, bakeries aside, if you go in the beginning of June, you can hit up the Scooper Bowl. Its all you can eat ice cream for I think $7, but its like 50+ flavors from all different companies. All proceeds go to the Jimmy Fund and they have music and stuff. They hold it at City Hall Plaza. You can google it if you're interested! icon_biggrin.gif

cakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerator Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 4:27pm
post #13 of 16

ooooh.... The Scooper Bowl. So great! All the ice cream you can eat! Amazing flavors. We used to take an extra long "lunch break" at work and just eat ice cream until we could eat no more! icon_biggrin.gif

sweetresults: where is Bova? i would love to give it a try. DH and I go to the north end to eat all the time but usually end up getting dessert at the restaurant we go to. Saraceno's has an amazing Tiramisu. icon_smile.gif

redsoxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redsoxgirl Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 4:48pm
post #14 of 16

I'm with SweetResults. Mike's is for tourists and it's always jam packed. BOVA's is the best. AND it's open 24 hours.

I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with Southie but I hear that Flour Bakery is the best in the South End. (Flour Bakery + Café, 1595 Washington Street, Boston, MA 0211icon_cool.gif.

Take a walk through Fanueil Hall, too. Beard Papa's is delicious.

Happy Hunting. icon_cool.gif

redsoxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redsoxgirl Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 4:51pm
post #15 of 16

btw - Bova'a is at 134 Salem Street which is the Very End of the street on the corner. It is parallel to Hanover Street which is the main street in the North End.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 3 Dec 2006 , 10:57pm
post #16 of 16

We've driven to Bova's at 4:00am to pick up breadbowls for our chowdah on SuperBowl Sunday - they are great there! Gotta love that 24 hr thing!

I have also heard good things about Lyndells and Finale, but just haven't made it there yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%