Cake Board.....?

Decorating By nikki1201 Updated 30 Sep 2007 , 10:35pm by CKelly

nikki1201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1201 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 7

ok, i have made a few cakes for parties, but they are usually 10" rounds and i have always just taken them on a nice plate/round platter. I am making my first sheet cake in a few weeks, and i have the white cardboard cake boxes to package it in, but i am wondering what the heck to put the cake on to decorate, and move it into the box? (i have only used those boxes for cookies!) i have heard the term cake board, but not exactly sure what it is.... disposable? or not? do i have to buy them from a certain place, or is there a DIY way of doing it? how heavy of a product do i need in order for the cake not to break/bend?... i feel like a goof. icon_redface.gif

i was just brainstormng ideas for the cake, and realized i had no clue how to get it from my house to the party!

any tips would be appreciated!

6 replies
melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 7

If you have a craft store handy, look for the Wilton cake boards to use.

If none is handy, you can use your pan as a guide and cut your own board out of cardboard (I would use at least a 2-ply board--or double up a single play cardboard, cut to the same size and taped together for stability) and cover with foil paper. You can use aluminum foil, but it's a bit gaudy, or if it's for a birthday or special occasion, I have even wrapped the board in wrapping paper to match the theme (making sure that it's a thicker wrapping paper or has a type of coating on it so that the oils from the frosting don't soak into the paper).

If you do have a craft store, they should have the gold and silver paper to wrap the boards in.

Have fun and good luck on your cake!

nikki1201 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 7

thanks SO much! I feel much better now! i ordered tons of things i couldn't afford (sheetcake pan, flavorings, cookies cutters, everything else you can think of....lol) and now i am excited to put it all together! icon_biggrin.gif

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 7

i have started using plywood (cut to shape) and then cover with the "fancy-foil" used in bakeries and floral shops. i LOVE the plywood ... no bending or cracking and it is substantial looking. i was very blessed to have the boys at the hs shop class cut me all kinds of shapes!!

nikki1201 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 7

my BF ia a carpenter, so i think he should have no problem with making plywood boards! but if i don't get any made, i will do the cardboard. we'll see what happens! either way, i'm happy to know i don't need anymore last minute 'specialty' purchases!

Joanie4464 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanie4464 Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 7

Hi,
In my opinion cardboard and sheet cakes don't mix. I have been using
sheets of foam core board that you can buy at Walmart, Michael's and that kind of store. If I can't get the 1/2" I place two 1/4" sheets together. I cover my foam core boards that have been cut to size with clear contact paper and write on the board (before covering) with a marker my name and phone number along with "do not immerse" I most usually get them back and all they need is a quick wipe down and a fresh coat of foil paper. No stress marks from flexing and they work great.......BUT....cutting the board does in a utulity knife in short order. The get dull quickly. I was just searching for a note I saw a couple days ago with a link to I think joAnn's for an electric exacto knife that cuts this board like butter. (or so they say) Any one out there can help??? I've cut my last foam core with a utility knife....I want to go high tech! gggg
Thanks,
Joanie

CKelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CKelly Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 7

Please don't forget to cut your plywood/ foam board or whatever at least 2" larger than the pan. That gives you a little working room. I use the foil paper or wrapping paper and a layer of contact paper on top for a really good look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%