Marshmallow Snowman Pops

Sugar Work By MomLittr Updated 3 Jan 2007 , 1:51am by NEWTODECORATING

danar217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danar217 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:11pm
post #61 of 111

I've made these for different holidays before.
At Disney they sell the marshmallow pops but instead of using a stick, they put the marshmallows on a curly straw. Very cute but at Disney, very expensive! I think they were $6.95 a piece! I did them at Halloween on a purple straw dipped in milk chocolate, then just decorated with orange and purple sprinkles. They were a huge hit!

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:14pm
post #62 of 111

By straw you mean a regular drinking straw? (the ones that are re-usable, I guess?) Interesting!

isakov1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isakov1 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 3:39pm
post #63 of 111

How about making them out of mini marshmellows?? A little more time consuming but those would be an excellent size for hot chocolate!! Cute tooicon_smile.gif

danar217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danar217 Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 4:36pm
post #64 of 111

Yep, they are the hard plastic ones that loop around. You put the marshmallows (I did 2) on the longer straight part that would go into the cup.
I got a package of assorted colors at the dollar store.

nefgaby Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 5:56pm
post #65 of 111

Hi Danar217, what a great idea, thanks for sharing!

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 7 Dec 2006 , 6:05pm
post #66 of 111

I tried putting the marshmallows on sideweays (like MJLAW78 did) then covering in white candymelts then coconut - looks alot better. Did not take a picture because I messed up the face, but will try again this weekend for pictures to show for sale. Thanks so much for the hint MJLAW78! I am figuring that at a price of $1.25-$1.50 these are stilll half of the catalogue (which I may attach to my "ad" to show mine are better and cheaper) and I won't be charging shipping! icon_lol.gif

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 1:35am
post #67 of 111

mjlaw78,

After you did the chocolate hat how did you attach it to the two marshmallos that are on their side? Did you just use melted chocolate?

Thanks....I'm loving all these ideas, they're adorable!!

mjlaw78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjlaw78 Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 5:01pm
post #68 of 111

jessieb578
Yes I just used melted chocolate to attach the hats and stuck them in styrofoam until they were dry.

destini377 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destini377 Posted 8 Dec 2006 , 6:11pm
post #69 of 111

What a cute idea! I think my boys will be making these to give to their friends this year!! Thanks everyone for all the great tips! I had seen a similar idea (in Family Fun, I think) only they used just one mm, bright colored candy melts and sprinkles - cute, but I like the snowmen better!! icon_biggrin.gif

kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 4:38pm
post #70 of 111

I made some last night. Here is a picture of the rejects. (Didn't get a picture of the good one. By the way, one bag of large marshmallows will make 15 Snowmen Pops.
LL

mjlaw78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjlaw78 Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 5:29pm
post #71 of 111

kakedecorator,
Those are really cute. I really like the scarfs you put on them, great job.

MomLittr Posted 9 Dec 2006 , 7:21pm
post #72 of 111

how did you do the hats?

nefgaby Posted 10 Dec 2006 , 4:55am
post #73 of 111

Oh wow, they are too cute! If those where the "rejects" can't imagine what the others looked like! Cute cute cute! Can't wait to make this!

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 10 Dec 2006 , 5:42am
post #74 of 111

WOW icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif I gotta try these I think my kids would totally love them. I also make goodie baskets for friends. I think they would be a huge hit thumbs_up.gif I think I will try to make some for this next weekend for my Moms christmas get together. Bunches of KIDS thumbs_up.gif

MomLittr Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 11:48am
post #75 of 111

Ok, here is my second attempt at these, putting the marshmallows sideways on the stick for more rounded shape. Still not that good at making the arms on the coconut and used mini-chocolate chips for the smile. .. still not too happy wth the results; may have to scrap the coconut idea to make them easier to decorate, and want to get fruit roll-ups to use for a scarf. What do you think?

deb
LL

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 2:25pm
post #76 of 111

Deb,

I think it's adorable. What a neat idea for the scarf!

Carol

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 3:22pm
post #77 of 111

What is everyone melting the chocolates in? I can do a double boiler but wouldn't I have to use a lot more chocolate than needed so I would have the depth to dip in? Does anyone have any ideas for a long, narrow vessel to melt the melts in?? Thanks!

Diana

kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 3:29pm
post #78 of 111

I melt my chocolates in a small glass bowl in the microwave.

MomLittr Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 3:29pm
post #79 of 111

Diana, I used a plastic container that was almost long enough, and just sat it in a pot of barely simmering water to melt. Truthfully a drinking glass would be better as it would be longer and deeper, probably easier to use. I end up spooning the candy over the marshmallows anyway.

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 4:10pm
post #80 of 111

Thanks for the speedy replies! I suppose I'll just try a few things and see what works best!

Also, does anyone see any reason why I couldn't use royal to pipe on the details? I'm thinking I'd get a cuter carrot nose with royal icon_razz.gif

jaitee69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaitee69 Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 3:34am
post #81 of 111

I made my 2nd attempt at these with much better results. Instead of chocolate for the details, I used antonias icing and it was much easier. I think they are adorable! I made a bunch for my sons kindergarten class and some more to sell - but I ran out of marshmallows! Need some more ..... I want to see if I can do some more with the hats to sell this week for last minute gifties and stocking stuffers. So much fun! I've never inserted a picture before, so if this doesn't work, they are in my pictures.

Have fun everyone! Thanks to CC and all the members for these awesome ideas!

Deanna

nefgaby Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 3:43am
post #82 of 111

How did you dip your MM to get the chocolate so smooth?? Love your Snowmen!!

jaitee69 Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 3:56am
post #83 of 111

thanks! i don't know that I did anything special. I put the mm on the sticks, melted the choclate (i use merkens), dipped the mms and kinda roll them around, then tap off the excess and place them on wax paper. I do marshmallow pops quite a bit and have never had a problem with the chocolate not being smooth. I swear by the merkens - i won't use the wilton candy melts anymore, or any other brand! merkens by far melts the smoothest and works the best for me. HTH

Deanna

nefgaby Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 4:11am
post #84 of 111

Thanks Deanna, maybe the secret is your chocolate!! Where do you get the Merkens?
I will try tomorrow and I need them to be as perfect as possible, this is my first time though! And one more question, you lay them flat on wax paper? What do you do to your "flat" side? Your pic does not show a flat side on the ones with no hat....
Thanks again!

nefgaby Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 4:14am
post #85 of 111

Oh, one more question... how did you dip your hats? From where, they look so perfect, can't tell what side you used to dip the MM or from where were you holding it. Thanks again and so sorry for picking your brain too much! You pops are just TOO cute! I hope I can get mine somewhere half as good as yours... doubt it though... icon_confused.gificon_cry.gif

jaitee69 Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 4:25am
post #86 of 111

Hi - the flat side is underneath - after I bag them, I usually put my label on there. It's never been a big deal to my customers to have a flat side - they are only looking at the decorated side! this also makes it easier to decorate as the mm pops are lying flat and better to work on. i know some people use styrofoam to put their sticks into and let any excess chocolate drip down off. everyone has their own ways of doing things i guess!

I get my merkens at the party supply store here. They cost a little more than the stuff at AC Moore or Michaels, but I feel the quality is better. Especially the white and colored chocolate - they seem to melt smoother. I get coupons online at their website so I never pay full price anyway!

If I can do these pops, anyone can do these pops! I actually have more experience working with chocolate than with cakes - I wish I had half the talent most people on here do! for the hats, I put the flat side of the marshmallow on my wax paper and put a pop stick down through the top, all the way down for stability in dipping. I dipped the mm, and instead of tapping off the excess, just placed it on the wax paper immediately and let the excess chocolate run down the sides to form a 'brim' around the bottom. once the hat was dry, i used rubber gloves (didn't want fingerprints!) to pull the hat off the stick and place on top of the snowman. hope that makes sense!

Good luck!! can't wait to see the pictures!

Deanna

nefgaby Posted 16 Dec 2006 , 4:56am
post #87 of 111

Hi Deanna,
Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!
I really appreciate you sharing this info with me! I like your idea of laying them flat, to be honest with you one of the reasons I haven't done them yet is because of the whole "how to let them dry" thing. Now I see they look perfectly fine when laid down to dry. I know... I think too much before doing things!
Thanks again, I will do my research on where to buy Merkens in my area, for now I guess I will have to try with candy melts, I got the Premium though, maybe they melt better...
Oh well, thanks again and will post pics tomorrow, hopefully!
Take care and talk soon.

nefgaby Posted 17 Dec 2006 , 11:50pm
post #88 of 111

Hi, here are my Pops!!! So excited, finally made them!
LL

jaitee69 Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 1:58am
post #89 of 111

Oh so cute! Great job! What did you make the scarf from? You did the whole thing - 4 marshmallows huh? They look super - you should be proud!

Deanna

nefgaby Posted 18 Dec 2006 , 3:53am
post #90 of 111

Thanks Deanna!! I have to say, without your help I wouldn't have done them! I made the scarf out of fondat!
Thanks again for everything!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%