Plain Or Self Rising

Decorating By irisinbloom Updated 1 Aug 2005 , 4:58am by SquirrellyCakes

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 10:24am
post #1 of 5

Good morning cake decorators, wanted some opions on this subject. When a recipe calls for plain flour is it okay to ommit the salt and soda and use self rising. Sometimes when I have a recipe that calls for plain flour it just wont rise good using plain so I use self rising, so I didn't know if there is really a difference. I have seen some recipes that call for All Purpose flour, salt and soda so I am assuming that is plain flour, is this right. I only use White Lily and find it on sale a lot and never know which to buy more of plain or self rising. thanks for imput. icon_smile.gif

4 replies
elena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elena Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 12:17pm
post #2 of 5

not to sure about the self rising, i believe it is more for bread making. but what i do, i use cake flour and i sift it. i do use the exact amount a recipe calls for flour. i also find cake flour for 14.99 in 50# bags. gfs will special order it if you ask.[/img]

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 31 Jul 2005 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks elena, I haven't used cake flour a lot, but that sounds like the way to go and 50# would go a long way for me. Will get back with you on ordering it when my cake orders pick up. Again thanks

elena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elena Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 4:35am
post #4 of 5

your welcome. but make sure you try your recipes with the cake flour before using it on a cake order. 95% i use cake flour.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 1 Aug 2005 , 4:58am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by elena

your welcome. but make sure you try your recipes with the cake flour before using it on a cake order. 95% i use cake flour.

Cake flour has less gluten (protein) than all-purpose flour. Though you can substitute, you use different amounts of one when substituting for another and usually add cornstarch or something else to the mix.
You should generally use the kind of flour that the recipe calls for as the other ingredients are combined in such a way as to make the mixture work.
There is less gluten in self-rising flour than in all-purpose flour but more than in cake flour.
For more information on this subject, check out www.baking911.com under the pantry section. Also check out various flour company sites.
Flours vary a lot from country to country also.
Hugs Squirrelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%