Michael's Wilton Classes????

Decorating By NVP Updated 1 Dec 2006 , 11:20pm by Loucinda

NVP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NVP Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 40

so yesterday, i went to michaels and i noticed that they offer 4 courses of wilton decorating classes. it sounds pretty good, but has anyone ever tried the classes out at michaels???

39 replies
Firstlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Firstlady Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 40

I have just finished course 3. Course 4 will be offered at Michaels only for 3 months starting in 07. I have really learned a lot and really enjoyed the other students and my teacher. If you are just starting out or have been decorating for a while I think it's a great investment!

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 40

I take them at AC Moore and I think they're great. I dont think Michaels would be any different because they all use the same book and materials.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 40

Yes, I went to Michaels to take two out of three courses they offered from Wilton.

It was a very informative and helpful experience. I didn't take the last course because I wasn't interested in Fondant at the time, but I self taught myself on that.

Momof3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof3boys Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:00pm
post #5 of 40

I know a lot of people here have taken the classes and there are some instructor's on here as well. I took the first 2 courses so far. Plan on taking the other 2 as soon as my life calms down a bit.
Good Luck!!

cupcake55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake55 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:02pm
post #6 of 40

I took classes at Michaels. I don't think it matters where you take the Wilton courses. The instructor is very important. I was lucky enough to get an instructor who really knew cake decorating. I have seen ladies who had taken the courses, retaking them under my instructor. Some people are just not meant to teach or they do not have the expertise necessary to be a good teacher.

NVP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NVP Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:09pm
post #7 of 40

okay great bc i wanted to take them in the main corporate office i guess in chicago? and the classes were like $300 each, but then someone suggested michaels, and their like $25 a class. okay, so now i want to do it. =)

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:11pm
post #8 of 40

I'm planning on taking them in the beginning of '07, and the ONLY place near me that offers them is Michaels so this has helped me also icon_smile.gif I just wish I could find someone who took the classes at that Michaels recently so I can know weather or not it's a good instructor or not lol.

Anyone take them at Michaels in Dover, Delaware? lol

rsaun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsaun Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:13pm
post #9 of 40

I took Courses I, II, and III from Michael's and they were great and informative. I would recommend it.

kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:36pm
post #10 of 40

FirstLady, Course 4 will be a permanent class, not just for 3 months. Micheals is the "testing account" for the new course. The other places, like JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby, AC Moore and others will not be able to teach the new course until May.

irelandshs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irelandshs Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:43pm
post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakedecorator

FirstLady, Course 4 will be a permanent class, not just for 3 months. Micheals is the "testing account" for the new course. The other places, like JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby, AC Moore and others will not be able to teach the new course until May.

i finished course 3 in July and miss it very much. Does anyone know what course 4 is? I would love it if it dealt with gumpaste... I can't get the feel for it on my own yet. TIA

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:44pm
post #12 of 40

I took all three classes at the Michael's in Hilliard Ohio. I really liked the instructor - Mary. I even set up a cake decorating class with her for my Girl Scout troop. I hope they do the 4th class there also.

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:46pm
post #13 of 40

I know I'm one of many people excited about this class. You're not likely to find any opinions on how good it is though, since it hasn't started yet. The 4th class is brand new and is being offered for the first time early 07. I am really excited about the gumpaste class!

crafty01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crafty01 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:48pm
post #14 of 40

Does anyone know what is covered in course 4?

elmkb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elmkb Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:48pm
post #15 of 40

The classes offer a lot of information! Your instructor should give you lots of tips and tricks that will help you in your cake decorating endeavors!
It is also a lot of fun too! good luck!

rsaun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsaun Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:50pm
post #16 of 40

Darandon,

I am from Hilliard, too, but I took my classes at the Michael's in Dublin on Sawmill Rd. If you find out they're doing a 4th course at the Michael's in Hilliard, PM me and let me know...I'd love to do it!

Firstlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Firstlady Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:51pm
post #17 of 40

Course 4 is gumpaste

jackieb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackieb Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:57pm
post #18 of 40

My first post - I recently took all three courses at Michaels on Barry Road in Kansas City North. I absolutely loved them. My instructor was very helpful (hi Kelly!) and I particularly enjoyed getting together every week with the other ladies in my class. I'm looking forward to the gum paste class which will be offered in February. I have also taken the Wonder Mold Doll class, the Cookie Bouquet and fondant cookie class.

Even if you know a little about cake decorating I think taking a class is well worth your time. I'm sure there is something new you will learn from the instructor or other students in the class.

ljdaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdaa Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:58pm
post #19 of 40

I took Wilton 1,2,3 at Michaels and the instructor was great. Even when she took time off for a personal matter, I waited until she returned from to finish them with her. It was fun and the price discounts are great. Is course 4 a gumpaste class? If the Maryland area offers course 4, I would love to take it. Thanks all!

pluto6210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pluto6210 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 2:58pm
post #20 of 40

I've taken the first two classes and had a really good time. I plan on taking 3 after the first of the year (and will hopefully make my own MMF for the class...fingers crossed) and would like to also know what course 4 entails! Watch for deals also....like two for one. It was really cheap to do my two classes. I think the 1st course was half price and then the next one was 2 for 1 and I buddied up with a lady from my class.

jstritt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstritt Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 3:00pm
post #21 of 40

I am a Wilton Instructor, and Wilton stresses that this is not "Course 4". It is a 4-week course on Gumpaste and Fondant. I don't know why this is such an issue, but I just thought I would throw this out there.

All courses, whether taught at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, JoAnns, AC Moore, or independent retailers are the same. All courses are set by Wilton Corporate, and we all follow the exact same books and course agendas. The only difference is the instructor.

Quote:
Quote:

The instructor is very important. I was lucky enough to get an instructor who really knew cake decorating. I have seen ladies who had taken the courses, retaking them under my instructor. Some people are just not meant to teach or they do not have the expertise necessary to be a good teacher.

All potential instructors are evaluated by Wilton before becoming an instructor. If Wilton feels that an applicant doesn't have the expertise, he/she will NOT be selected to be an instructor. Wilton's reputation is on the line, and I doubt they would hire an instructor that they didn't believe would make a good impression.

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 3:06pm
post #22 of 40

Come on Darandon...You know you want to come hang out up on Sawmill! It would be fun to have a bunch of CC people in a class together!

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 3:18pm
post #23 of 40

ljdaa - where from in Maryland?!!?!? I'm on the Eastern Shore in a small lil hick town of Easton lol... I don't know of ANY place that offers the courses on this side of the Bay Bridge except over in Delaware, I do know the Michaels in Salisbury offers them but it's closer for me to go to Dover I think...

I spoke with a girl that works at Ben Franklin's Crafts and Framing here in Easton, they don't sell much Wilton stuff but since I started buying stuff on an ALMOST daily basis they have expanded things more and I suggested to her that they should get Wilton to hold the classes there because even if I was the only one to take them it'd be benificial for me lmao she said they are trying to but Wilton won't reply to their request, but I think it's just the manager is a BLEEP! and doesn't know how to go about asking people to do things. She turned her nose up at me and asked me how long I had been doing this and if I was certified I politely explained to her that it's not technically being certified in cake decorating (to my knowledge) that it's mainly being licensed by the state and in Md you can't be licensed for home baking but you are allowed to do so and she said NO YOU'RE NOT! I've tried it! it's a waste of time and money! So I just basically wrote that off and made a mental note to never go there when she's there lol

But I plan to take the courses next year and would love to take all 3 courses as well as the 4 week class on gumpaste and fondant... even though I don't plan on using traditional fondant I plan on using MMF if I use it at all. No one in my area likes fondant and the one private bakery doesn't offer it at all and the grocery stores don't either so....

But yeah long enough lol but wondering where you're located in MD icon_smile.gif

Becky

elmkb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elmkb Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 4:37pm
post #24 of 40

Yes, that 4th course is a fondant and gumpaste course and the only prerequisite is course 1!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 4:50pm
post #25 of 40

I took all 3 Wilton courses at Michael's in 2005. I plan to take course IV, I think it starts in Feb 07.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 5:12pm
post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaMarieMTV

Come on Darandon...You know you want to come hang out up on Sawmill! It would be fun to have a bunch of CC people in a class together!

Well, I do work in Dublin (I'm off of Post Road in between the Mariiott and the Red Roof) So I'd be happy to hang out at Michaels in Dublin. We can get the other Hilliard People together and take the classes all at once. That would be fun, and I'd love to meet more Hilliard/Dublin people.

dara

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 6:47pm
post #27 of 40

The gumpaste course that will be available in 2007 focuses on gumpaste flowers, so that will be exciting.

I agree that the class is only as good as the teacher...and this is why....YES, the instructors are screened and submit pictures of their work, but it doesn't mean that they are great teachers.

There have been quite a few threads on disasterous Wilton classes because of the teacher. It's important to find a teacher that makes the class work for you. Sometimes even having a large class can make the difference between learning and being irritated. icon_smile.gif

Just some factors to consider.

Anyway, good luck to the original poster. The classes are definitely worth it!
Angie

vanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanz Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 10:57pm
post #28 of 40

I finished 2 courses from Michael's (Canada) and yes, I agree that the instructor matters since they all follow the same materials... I took course I for half the prize and course II for free....

I'm taking course III early next year & Course 4 is also offerred to us recently.

So go for it!

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 11:21pm
post #29 of 40

I took the first 2 at Michaels. Never got the 3rd one cuz of a split with the ex. Always wished I did cuz I havent done fondant and am TERRIFIED of tiered cakes. LOL But I loved the ones I did take and LOVED my instructor!

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 30 Nov 2006 , 12:13am
post #30 of 40

Iv'e always wanted to take the wilton courses but I haven't ever gotten around to it. I'm not sure if I should now because I know how to do a lot of what is taght at this point. Gum paste is really the only medium I can think of that I haven't used and I need to work on making flowers with it. If you have taken the classes or you are an instructor let me know what you think. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%