Cookie Coating Question

Baking By pinkflamingo Updated 29 Nov 2006 , 8:27pm by ckkerber

pinkflamingo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflamingo Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:15am
post #1 of 8

I typically use the no fail sugar recipe and cover with MMF cut using the same cutter as the cookie. By doing it this way there is a border of cookie left around the decorated part. Is there any way to still coat the cookie this way and not have that part of cookie showing, like maybe a dough that won't spread at all? I'd love any input.

7 replies
pinkorchid50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkorchid50 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:22am
post #2 of 8

I only ice my cookies with MMF and I totally understand about the edge showing "naked".... I would just pipe something on it w/ royal icing. Use a small round tip or small star tip, or put dragees all around the edge. icon_smile.gif

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:26am
post #3 of 8

I haven't come across a dough that won't spread. The NFSC is supposed to be best for this because it only spreads, VERY LITTLE. Most other recipes, the dough REALLY spreads. To cover up that border, I agree w/ pinkorchid, you'd have to pipe a border of some sort.

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 1:47am
post #4 of 8

I had read a tip from another member that said they smoosh the MMF once they put it on the warm cookie (soon out of the oven). The warmth of the cookie allowed her to spread the MMF to the very rim. I haven't tried it, but it makes sense. icon_rolleyes.gif

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 7:06am
post #5 of 8

I "pat" the MMF to fill out the shape of the cookie when warm (like Tug said). There is still a slight border of cookie around the MMF, but not the drastic, 1/4" or so difference you have right when you put the mmf on.

When dealing with the edible images on my logo cookies (in my photos), they didn't want any cookie to show. I had to fill in the border area under the image with antonia's royal icing. It actually worked out pretty well, it was just time consuming. I think you can kind of see it in that pic...they are borderless cookies. I did pipe a thin border around the edge, though, to give them a more finished look.

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 7:15am
post #6 of 8

I don't cut the MMF with a cookie cutter . . . I cut off a piece larger than the cookie, drape it on as you would a cake, smoothing down the edges, and use a pizza cutter or smaller cutter wheel to trim the MMF. This covers the edges all the way around.

jstritt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstritt Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

I don't cut the MMF with a cookie cutter . . . I cut off a piece larger than the cookie, drape it on as you would a cake, smoothing down the edges, and use a pizza cutter or smaller cutter wheel to trim the MMF. This covers the edges all the way around.

Great idea! Never thought of doing that. Is it very time consuming?

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 8:27pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstritt

Quote:
Quote:

Great idea! Never thought of doing that. Is it very time consuming?

Actually, it isn't too time consuming at all. I haven't done any terribly intricate cookie shapes, though. I don't know if it would take a lot of time if you had a very detailed shape to cut out but it really worked well for me. I really like how well it covers when you do it this way. I did the heart shaped cookies in my album this way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%